Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:38:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDoko Roko
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Doko Roko  (Read 8888 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 04:03:19 PM »

Game looks pretty awesome. Good luck!  Beer!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

very cool Eric, keep it up.

KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 08:14:54 PM »

Man, I absolutely love everything about this. Your visual style and animation is super beautiful! Best of luck with your KS, you're gonna hit it out of the park for sure!  Grin

ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »

YAY ERIC!
As you know, I've been watching this game for bloody ages. I cannot wait to get my hands on it!

Best of luck man, seriously <3

-Seth

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »

Really love the art and animations you've posted so far, and I'm very into the "mission statement" you've got for the gameplay. Can't wait to see more updates. Good luck on the kickstarter!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 11:49:50 PM »

Good luck with your campaign, we definitely need to do some cross promotion man! Smiley

MurmuringDepths
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 12:40:42 AM »

Your artwork is amazing!

Looking forward to the game and art book.
vestigialdev
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 01:06:42 AM »

Really gorgeous looking. And influenced by Kowloon walled city? Awesome!
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 01:13:23 AM »

I was wondering about your influences for such things as the swords? I really like some of the ideas, e.g. that the tortured sword is mangled and scarred an such. Do you read a lot of strange and weird fiction?

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 01:45:53 AM »

I really adore this project and the development posts you have made so far!

Griffith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 05:09:07 AM »

Backed on kickstarter and looking forwards to more updates in the dev log. Good job so far

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »

Good luck with the Kickstarter! Looks like it's going really well so far.
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »

This game looks great. Good luck with kickstarter, you deserve this thing backed right away!

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 01:24:02 AM »

Nice to see this here and really interesting to read about how the game idea has evolved over time.

Good luck with the kickstarter and I'll have to back it when I get the chance.

Royal Den Studios
Level 0

Hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 06:50:14 AM »

Hey! I have a two part question. One is design and the other is technical. 1. Do you take any inspiration from any mythologizes or religions? I see you have The Waiting God (Keyword God) and was wondering if that just came to you. 2. I was wondering if your using any types of lighting or filters. I can maybe spot out a bloom filter. Anyways Good luck and I hope your game goes viral!

-Thank you for your time.
archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »

"I wanted to know what a game about this kind of place would look like. With everyone just going about their daily lives. And you jumping from roof top to rooftop and scaling this monstrous structure."

I got really excited for this game when you referred to the section of Kowloon Walled City; I hope you continue to referenced architectural section drawings to understand how sections shape space and create movement.

For details (or greeble) you should look at the drawings of Atelier Bow Wow out of Tokyo. I think you could put back some of the daily-life references you were interested in initially instead of a typical vertical platform section with art assets (i.e. the hanging laundry as an architectural detail does a lot for the lived in feel of Kowloon Walled City).

For a more macro scale, I would look at architectural sections and see how different rooms relate to each other and how different heights effect this relationship. You could look at a number of buildings from antiquity or the renaissance, but in lieu of Kowloon Walled City you should check out Gifu Kitagata Apartment Building by Kazuyo Sejima. The building is composed of a similar unit scale as Kowloon Walled City, but Sejima uses tetris like shapes to break between the floors, creating a less slab centric building, something a vertical platform would love (section 1, section 2, section 3).

Another good reference for you would be the Tower of David Caracas: an abandoned bank building turned slum. There is a really fascinating social structure that has developed exclusively within the tower involving taxis and shops that operate only within the structure. It would work well as a game level precedent because unlike most architectural sections, it divorces the idea of the bottom most level being the key real-estate and allows for a more interesting verticality in section. The famed architectural photographer Iwan Baan also has some great photos from inside the tower.

If you are interested in breaking with orthogonality, these sections by Lebbeus Woods are often referenced by architects (section 1, section 2); they have a gritty vibe and are anti-orthogonality, similar to Kowloon Walled City.

Obviously the Metropolis anime by Osamu Tezuka and Katsuhiro Otomo could be another great reference for you concerning section on an urban scale.

stemconcepts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 05:40:53 AM »

Looks really good :D

Grats on getting your kickstarter funded too.

I think art does really well in trying to draw people into the world.

EricSmack
Level 0

@DokoRokoGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2022, 07:38:46 AM »

I'm resurrecting this thread just to post my post-mortem. Beer!
tinyurl.com/mr3cne9x

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic