Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:35:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRetro Highway [iOS/Android]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Retro Highway [iOS/Android]  (Read 8434 times)
kunstberg
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »

About:

As the title suggests, Retro Highway is a racing/runner game with obvious inspiration from such classics as Road Rash and Outrun in which you try your hardest to get the highest score and not crash into things.

Gameplay:

Think of it as a mix between classic racing games of old and modern runners. You are in full control of your bike (albeit with auto acceleration enabled to make it more bearable to handle with touchscreen limitations), but the ultimate goal is not to race the clock or your opponents - instead you just try to beat your highest score by driving as recklessly as possible as long as possible to maintain your combo meter while gathering coins to unlock new bikes and upgrades on the way.

Media:

Showing off

Coins are NOT going to work that way in the final version of the game :Р
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:03:48 AM by kunstberg » Logged
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:19:55 PM »

Very crisp and colourful. I know Horizon Chase recently did very well on iOS, so I well-made games of this sort can certainly succeed there. How are you planning to distinguish yourself from the various other homages to Outrun that there are on mobile games?

NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 01:03:32 AM »

Hello. I am the behind-the-scenes computer geek.  Durr...?

Very crisp and colourful. I know Horizon Chase recently did very well on iOS, so I well-made games of this sort can certainly succeed there. How are you planning to distinguish yourself from the various other homages to Outrun that there are on mobile games?

That is a very good point, and something that we have thought about quite a bit. We do have some ideas that can distinguish it from all the games like it. The game will award doing stunts, like jumping off a ramp and landing on a trampoline, or just barely scraping another car when overtaking. There will also be highway cops, most likely.

Apropos the Horizon Chase comparison. Retro Highway will be free, so that's a good start. Besides, our game has generated highways that go on forever and you try to beat highscores where Horizon is about racing on small-ish tracks. Good game though!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 01:09:53 AM by NicolaiGD » Logged

kunstberg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 02:24:46 AM »

Hello. I am the behind-the-scenes computer geek.  Durr...?

And the one who actually did most of the work while I was fucking around :Р

Thanks!

Speaking of distinguishing: it's basically what Nicolay said - our game has as much in common with games of 'runner' genre as with racing ones since it is basically an endless obstacle course; it also provides the player with a risk-reward system which offers you to constantly keep your 'combo' level high to multiply the points gain by performing dangerous stunts which may end up by crashing into someone's rear bumper :Р
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 02:57:03 AM by kunstberg » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 09:11:30 AM »

Looks great.  The movement looks really smooth.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 09:21:42 AM »

I'm a fan of all these 80's and 90's racers.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
Conker
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »

This looks really fun!
DaveVoyles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »

I love the ramp idea, and being able to actually hit objects in traffic to launch in the air.
lobstersteve
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 04:35:52 AM »

uh. looks nice Smiley
that's all fake 3d, right?
risk-reward system is a good point in that sort of game..
NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »

Thanks everyone!

And the one who actually did most of the work while I was fucking around :Р
Well, that's not completely true haha.

that's all fake 3d, right?
Yeah proper old school fake 3d Smiley

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 11:48:30 AM »

SO SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH, me like it, high fps!

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »

Love the retro feel! So tingly!

kunstberg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 02:52:28 AM »

Well that was stupid, wasn't it? Basically, we had to pause the development for almost half a year because of my stupid personal circumstances; luckily, Nicolai still has a place for me in his heart, so we're back in business!

So here's a list of changes from what you've seen last time:

• Movement mechanics are completely reworked, as well as the perspective
  • Placeholder sprites are slowly being replaced with actual graphics
  • I'm starting to give different locations their distinctive features
  • Combo mechanics are upgraded as well with new ways of filling up combo meter like landing on top of a car after a ramp jump

Here's how it looks now:

I am still under strong time pressure since there is quite a big chance of me being taken into the military soon (conscription sucks), so we're going to work really hard every day and keep you updated on what's going on, so stay tuned.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:25:52 AM by kunstberg » Logged
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 06:23:17 AM »

Good to see you back.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 07:23:16 AM »

Looking good! I love these kind of games, I've even made one recently called Super Night Riders Smiley

Anyway, curious to see the final game. Good luck Wink

Canned Turkey
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 07:37:30 PM »

Oh yeah! Excited to see this back.
joemusashi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 10:11:12 PM »

Ey there!

Why do you plan to release it ONLY on mobile. I think that you can launch it to PC at least and don't will cost you too much to implement, isn't it?
NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 04:38:25 AM »

Ey there!

Why do you plan to release it ONLY on mobile. I think that you can launch it to PC at least and don't will cost you too much to implement, isn't it?

Our plan is to make the game free - but with ads and IAPs, just without making those too intrusive for the player. That doesn't work well for PC. Although, if there is any demand for the game on PC, then maybe we can look into making another version.

kunstberg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 01:26:14 AM »

Thank you all for your kind words, they really do mean a lot to us.

Ey there!

Again, it's basically what Nicolai said - the initial plan was to make a small mobile game and MAYBE do something else based on the same technology later; sadly, the development already took half of a year instead of like, 2 months that we initially wanted to make the game in, so Nicolai is understandably sick both of me and this fake 3d thing by now :Р

Speaking of development: all the decorations for the desert are actually ready and implemented into the game, but I can't record a proper gameplay gif because the gif recorder is too hard to handle for my integrated videocard (RIP GTX 480 Cry). So, does this forum supports webms? Or I could do actual devlog videos with my stupid voiceover
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:31:51 AM by kunstberg » Logged
NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »

Progress is going really well now, and we are doing a lot of work on the environments. Below is an early peak at some desert decorations, as well as some improvements to the jumping mechanics. It is also possible to land on the roof of other cars. We'll still tweak the values some more though.

We're now working on an elaborate system for spawning decorations, that allow us to do patterns, like rows of rock columns or fields of corn plants for the green hill area. Much of the art is done, so we'll soon have a lot more to show.

Another thing that is in progress is gameplay mechanics. We'll have intersections, roadblocks and give the cars the ability to change lanes dynamically.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic