Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:07:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnderworld Dungeon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Underworld Dungeon  (Read 18790 times)
InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »

Turrets that fire arrows are now added to the game.

I also changed the graphics a bit by removing the ugly plain grass and adding more depth to the floor. Critters, such as silkworms, now spawn on the floor too.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 06:06:33 AM »

I've decided to remove the falling mechanic from the game because I realized that hitting enemies off ledges is frustrating and doesn't happen very often. Instead, there are now room edge colliders that stop entities from moving off (which also simplifies enemy AI a lot).

Also, I've decided on an open-world style of gameplay instead of Binding of Isaac floors for progressing through the game. There will be different biomes and biome-specific enemies that spawn around the starting "Runic Caverns" region and you can choose wherever you want to go. This allows more freedom and exploration which gives the player the choice to go to harder regions for better rewards.

Moreover, there will be a portal-like thing at the spawn point which requires all bosses to be killed to activate which will bring you down to the end-game where you will find the elixir.  

Anyways, I've worked on adding armor and implementing the "sacrifice health, gain rewards" statues.

The bone armor will have a chance for a life-steal effect for each piece of armor (helmet, chestplate, leggings) that is equipped. The more bone armor pieces there are, the higher the chance of life-steal after each enemy is killed.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:35:16 AM by InfernoSoul » Logged

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »

Great to see young people like yourself doing awesome work like this. Keep it up!

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 06:57:50 AM »

@Davi Vasc
Thanks!

Skeleton archers have now been added to the game! These dangerous skeletons roam the dungeons in search of fresh human blood Smiley

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:36:07 AM by InfernoSoul » Logged

cxsquared
Level 0

Game Dev in Progress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »

I'm enjoying the direction this is going in. Can't wait to get my hands on a playable build. Where do you stand on the sound direction and music for the game?

Check me out at CodyClaborn.me
InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Back after a long holiday break!  Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right

@cxsquared
Thanks a lot! As for the sound/music, I'm trying to create everything myself. But if I really can't create a good enough soundtrack for the game, I will hire a composer.

During these few days, I've started to improve enemy AI a lot by using raycasts.

Furthermore, a new biome has been added.

This area will have new enemies such as rock lobsters and fewer rocks/objects than the starting place which will provide less cover.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:09:26 PM by InfernoSoul » Logged

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »

The dark sword has been added to the game and swinging it creates a dark pulse that invokes the fear effect on enemies.

The fear effect will make enemies run away from the player for a few seconds.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 08:10:26 AM »

New item!

The Boots of Hermes allows the player to dash in the direction they're facing by pressing spacebar.

However, it doesn't grant invincibility when dashing, which means that if you dash into an enemy's sword, you will still get damaged.

Furthermore, you lose quite a bit of stamina (about 20%) after each dash to balance out the speed and dodging capabilities.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:18:28 AM by InfernoSoul » Logged

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 08:13:15 AM »

Added a full set of golden armor.

This is how the armor crafting system will work:
First, you find leather armor pieces in chests scattered around the world.
Then, you may stumble upon metal bars (such as iron and gold) by blowing up rocks/pillars or finding them in chests.
Lastly, you craft the metal armor piece you want by combining the metal bar with the leather armor piece.

Later on, you can find titanium bars which you can add to your metal armor to make it reinforced and increase your defense. Also, the reinforced armor will look much cooler.  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:10:39 PM by InfernoSoul » Logged

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 10:46:58 AM »

Hey, this is off to a really good start! Big fan of Greek/Roman mythology here. Can't wait to see this in action - following Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 07:01:15 AM »

@Pixel Noise
Thanks a lot!

Back again after about a week... A bit addicted to Afterbirth lately and lots of schoolwork...

Anyways, I've added a boss this week.
The GIF below shows the awakening process of the boss. Screen shakes... zooming in... and lighting effects make it look pretty cool.

The AI for the boss is not quite complete. I'll finish it off in the next couple of days. I've also started work on a few items I have in mind:

• Ring of Hephaestus - Spawns 4 fireballs that circle around the player and pulse outwards to burn enemies
  • Eye of Hypnos - An eye pet that looks at 1 enemy at a time and freezes it until the player kills it
  • Gloves of Khione - When activated, drawing your mouse along the screen creates an ice barrier that fades out over time

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 08:31:13 AM »

During these few days, I added a fireball projectile and a new item called the Ring of Hephaestus.

If you didn't already know, Hephaestus is the Greek god of fire and metallurgy.

When activated, the Ring creates 4 fireballs in the four cardinal directions and push outwards to hit enemies and burn them.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:06:03 AM by InfernoSoul » Logged

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 09:26:47 AM »

Added a dark orb that spawns randomly in different rooms of the dungeon.

Upon exploding, the orbs will drop dark matter that can be used to craft dark items such as the Dark Sword.

I've also implemented the crafting system. Here's a GIF of it in action!  Cool

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 09:00:07 AM »

Recently, I've decided to polish up the combat system to make it more challenging and use some features from Dark Souls.

• One hit from an enemy can take your health down really far (about 35% down) so that players will have to tactfully decide whether to take the blow with a shield or perform a riskier dodge.
  • Stamina will drop a lot more after shielding a hit or swinging a weapon.
  • Also planning to add a dodge roll, parry and riposte to give the combat system more depth.

In addition, the Ent behavior has been changed as well to make it more difficult since I want each enemy to have a decent chance of killing the player by itself. The Ent moves towards the player and lunges 3 times, allowing the player to sneak behind and attack while the Ent does his lunging animations.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »

More work has gone into the combat system. The player now faces the direction of the mouse. This allows the player to use the shield to block any incoming projectiles or sword swings while allowing the player to edge backwards slowly.

Furthermore, a new enemy has been implemented. This enemy surges towards the player and swings his sword rapidly 3 times. I used raycasting in its AI to prevent it from charging into the edge or terrain objects as you can see in the GIF below.

And finally, I'll try to post more frequently as I've been quite busy recently.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 08:38:58 AM »

Today, numbers pop up when a player gets damaged or hits an enemy. And a new, dark set of armor has been added.

The Dark Armor will have a chance to spawn skeleton minions to fight for you when you hit an enemy (not implemented yet).
I've also decided to add effects to the Iron Armor and Gold Armor:
Iron Armor - Chance for a damage buff when you hit an enemy
Gold Armor - Chance for a stamina regen buff and speed buff when you hit an enemy

This will provide players with different playing styles that will suit their current gear and enemies they face.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »

Added Poseidon's Trident, which is a legendary item that can only be obtained by sacrificing health to god statues. The Trident doesn't attack at all. Instead, it summons a deadly whirlpool that grows and shrinks in size and follows the player's mouse cursor. Any enemy that comes into contact with the waves will be damaged rapidly.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:33:27 AM by InfernoSoul » Logged

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2016, 07:09:10 AM »

The numbers will be a nice touch - and I always love coming back to see what new mythology has made it's way into the game Smiley

I feel like the bright flashing animation when an enemy gets hit is maybe a -bit- too bright? But that might just be me. Maybe it's just a contrast between the dark lighting vs. the bright flashing.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
ShiftDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2016, 07:16:51 AM »

Lighting effects are looking great! Although I feel moving things around like that in your inventory could get annoying. Maybe a Shift-Click automatically moves it?

Game Developer, Programmer, and Founder of
http://showcrate.com/

The world's first online gaming exhibition
InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »

@Pixel Noise
I've adjusted the dark dungeon lighting to make it slightly brighter so I think the bright flash is fine now.
I also quite like the numbers that pop up as they will be very useful for letting the player know how much damage they're doing and when a crit happens.

@ShiftDev
Thanks! Yes, I plan to add more controls to the inventory system to make it less frustrating. Shift+Click could make an item go to the hotbar slots while Ctrl+Click could move an item to the gear slots. It might prove to be very useful if the player has to switch gears/armor in-between fights quickly to change their build.   

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic