Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:30:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnderworld Dungeon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Underworld Dungeon  (Read 18811 times)
InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2016, 08:49:38 AM »

First of all, the Kickstarter has been funded!   Toast Right
It's currently at about 130% funded with 18 days to go.

Now, on to the game mechanics:

The life-stealing effect from the Bone Armor set has now been implemented. Everytime you kill an enemy while wearing a Bone Armor piece, you gain health. The more Bone Armor pieces you are wearing, the more health you will recover after killing an enemy.

A new set of items has been added to the game, called Charms. Charms give you status effects, buffs and other cool things. They can be crafted by combining a Blank Charm, which is found commonly in chests, with other materials. For example, a Golden Charm, which increases your speed, can be crafted with a Blank Charm and 2 Gold Ingots.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:56:46 AM by InfernoSoul » Logged

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2016, 08:03:49 AM »

Hey!

I'm back from vacation and school has just started so I'll a bit more busy from now on.

Anyways, I've been working on a new shield that slows down/freezes enemies on contact.

Since the ability to freeze enemies is quite strong, the downside is that the shield only blocks 90% of the damage done. This means that you shouldn't use it on arrows/projectiles that enemies fire since the projectiles don't get frozen while you take 10% of the damage. This shield is used for enemies who damage you by making contact, such as a sword swing.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2016, 11:43:10 PM »

The Winter Shield has now been properly implemented.

And here's how the trading system works now.

Each trade is randomly generated by picking 3 items from a "low-tier" item pool and producing 1 item from a "higher-tier" item pool.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2016, 07:25:10 AM »

2 new items have been added to the game.

Titan Boots

- Increases all stats slightly

Boots of Hephaestus

- Crafted by combining the Titan Boots and the Ring of Hephaestus (which shoots out fireballs on use)
- Shoots out fireballs whenever the player dashes
- Depletes stamina greatly

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2016, 08:40:32 AM »

A new type of weapon has been added to the game: Spears.
Spears have a small attack box but have better range than axes and swords.

The Bone Spear, crafted with 2 bones and 1 stick, heal the player for a small amount after each stab on enemies.

Herbs have also been added to the game.

Each herb heals 100 HP and can be found in wooden chests and enemy drops.

Steam page for game is up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/520300

Minor Fixes:
- Purple cloaked enemies don't dash/teleport past the dungeon borders anymore
- Added a number display for the stamina bar
- Added a way to increase or decrease max health and max stamina bars 
- Added turrets that fire arrows to trapped rooms

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »

A new enemy has been added to the second biome of the game.

The enemy charges rapidly towards the player and then swings its sword, followed by a quick, dagger throw.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2016, 08:44:08 AM »

Soul "shops" have been added to the game.

There are now random "shop" items that spawn in the dungeon that cost souls to purchase.
Souls are gained from killing enemies.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2016, 10:37:54 AM »

Enchanting has now been implemented in the game.

Enchantments can have positive or negative effects on an item. For example, a sword could get a "Sharp" enchant, which increases damage by 10%, or it could get a "Dull" enchant, which lowers its damage.

To enchant an item, the player has to drop the item on the enchanting carpet and will spend the amount of souls required to enchant (enchants can cost 100-200 souls).

I'm not quite happy with how the enchanting carpet and soul shops look. I feel like they should be bigger and more interesting so that the player feels rewarded when discovering them.
I'll most likely improve them in the next post. 

robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »

The carpet looks like has some animated lines, maybe it could have some kind of animated glowing pattern on it and while the item is being enchanted the pages in the book could glow.

Just a random idea.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »

@robgacu

Great idea! Here's what the enchanting carpet looks like now:

During the past few days, I've added more room types which will spawn with the newer objects in the game, such as the shops and enchanting carpets. I've also added a basic minimap and particle effects when dashing.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2016, 06:19:13 AM »

Hi everyone! We just wanted to post up this link to the Underworld Dungeon playlist on our Soundcloud - we've uploaded a few BGM tracks recently, and wanted to share them.

We're pretty happy with them, overall, but remember everything is still WIP and there is still tweaking, etc to be done.

Beer!

https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise/sets/underworld-dungeon-ost

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2016, 09:24:07 AM »

A new Bat enemy has been added to the game! The Bat circles around the player and randomly strikes.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »

More work has been done on the second biome, now called the Mossy Cave.

The Mossy Cave has small puddle pools that spawn randomly throughout each room that create splashing particles when the player walks over them. The puddles are currently only for aesthetic purposes and do not affect the player.

Also started to create some artwork for the third biome, which will be called the Crystal Depths. I have some ideas in mind for this biome, such as crystal traps that activate and stab the player when the player steps over them.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2016, 08:12:36 AM »

I've added quite a lot in the past few days:

- Dynamites can now damage enemies.

- Changed the way spears work - You now throw them and have to collect them to attack again. Spears can also pierce through multiple enemies and deal damage to them.

- The Runic Caverns boss can now summon a lightning storm. The lightning bolts strike at "warning shadows" that appear on the ground before the strike.

Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »

Looking fun! Loving the impact and fire FX. I would pay a little more attention to the character animations, I think you could exaggerate them more. The main character doesn't look like it's breathing, when he walks only the legs seems to change, things like that.

Gameplay wise looking pretty fun! Good luck  Coffee

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2016, 08:45:38 AM »

@Juliano
Thanks! Making the player seem like he's breathing is a pretty neat suggestion. I have a simple solution in mind: Since the player is split into parts: the head, body, and legs, I would apply a "breathing" effect to the body section by adjusting its x and y scale. Hopefully this will be enough to make the animation seem more fluid.

I've been focusing on adding items for the past week or so:

- Added a Golden Skull that reduces knockback by 50%. This can be useful because normally, enemies knock you back quite a bit and can make you miss a sword swing.

- Added an all-stats upgrade item called the Mystic Crown. It can be crafted with a Crown + Iron Ingot + Gold Ingot + Dark Matter. The Crown is found in chests or dropped by this enemy:

- The Titan Boots which previously was an all-stats upgrade item now increases the length of a dash.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2016, 09:54:57 AM »

Another new enemy has been added to the "Mossy Caves" biome:

This crab-like creature shoots out two laser arrows from its claws and moves only in the four cardinal directions.

InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2016, 05:27:10 AM »

Added a new item called the Boreas Boots

- Dashing creates a freezing effect on enemies
- Crafted with the Titan Boots and Ice Shards

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »

Looks pretty good, man! Love your persistence on this project. Not many high schoolers have the level of tenacity it takes to keep working on a project like this.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
InfernoSoul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2016, 07:35:22 AM »

@DireLogomachist
Thanks a lot! I do find it hard sometimes to motivate myself to keep working on the game but I eventually get inspired to continue working on it after playing some other games.

- Increased game difficulty quite a lot (buffing enemies' attacks and health, decrease drop rate of herbs) so that the game now feels more rewarding when you defeat enemies and get their loot.
Also, it forces the player to be more patient; the player has to consider their health/stamina more and use their shield/dash more carefully or else they will quickly die to enemy attacks, which is the feeling I want from Dark Souls.

- Changed Poseidon's Trident item to a passive-gear item instead of a weapon. The Trident's whirlpool is now summoned only when the player is damaged or when the player shields incoming damage.

I'm on vacation atm so I might not have much time to work on the game.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic