Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:23:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creativeanimations ...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: animations ...  (Read 1468 times)
IMMENSE
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2015, 12:37:04 AM »

I have been doing pixel art for about 3-4 years now , I would consider myself pretty good not Glauber Kotaki good but good enough that I could pixel a whole game without art complaints .

My issue is animation . I draw sprites that Im happy with just to see them lost forever due to the fact I cant bring them to life in a manner I see fit . I mean I could do basic shit like terraria sword swings and such but I want more .

I just want some tips on how I can improve or if I could post a picture of a sprite and someone could animate it so I could look at it frame by frame too see what I am not seeing on my own .

Thank you
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »

This exists: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39924.80

There may also be a good quantity of animation tutorials on Newgrounds, but I'm not certain since I haven't been on that site in ages. Also check out Deviantart, and if you want specifics on pixel art animation you can ask around the Pixeljoint community forum.

IMMENSE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 03:47:16 AM »

okay ill check it out , thakns for reply  Grin
sandy
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 04:27:16 PM »

http://sakuga.yshi.org/ one of the best reference sites imo. explosions, running, fighting, vfx, p much anything u could think of

imo dont learn animation from other pixel artists; learn animation principles from people who've been doing it better for decades. animators survival kit is an oft-recommended book, start there.

tho to really get good at animation you need to have a firm understanding of anatomy (which is why most pixel artists hit a skill ceiling v quickly). without that (and other art fundamentals), you will flounder forever.

basically, study from traditional art, and apply those principles towards pixel art, instead of focusing purely on pixel art. otherwise you're going to pidgeonhole yourself! it will take Years of hard fucking work, but if you're serious about getting good (and you have to be serious), it's the only way to make real progress.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 04:39:26 PM by sandy » Logged
NiklasElling
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »

I can not recommend Alan Becker's tutorial videos enough. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-bOh8btec4CXd2ya1NmSKpi92U_l6ZJd
He does a great job explaining Disney's 12 principles of animation which is a good foundation for any animator.

The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams has already been mentioned and it's a great book.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic