Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:29:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeHow would you gamedev in an ideal world?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How would you gamedev in an ideal world?  (Read 2852 times)
crumpet
Level 0

I did a art, once

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 07:19:13 AM »

An ideal world probably wouldn't have video games.
At least not in their current form.
Mock Anger VIDEO GAMES ARE WASTE OF TIME IN GLORIOUS UTOPIA THERE IS NO ROOM FOR THE PLAYING OF THE GAMES EXCEPT GLORIOUS GAME OF ASSIST THE STATE  Mock Anger

I used to think I was a failure. Then I discovered you can just buy trophies. Now I win at everything.
Asmodeusss
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 04:11:36 PM »

Would an ideal world not be so enticing that escapism would be unnecessary, as life itself would be so exciting and enjoyable that no medium could possibly replicate it or emulate it? Why play a game about dragons and quests if you already have that and infinitely more in real life? Hell, why play a lesser thing when life is more exciting than any game? Or does the concept of a game always evolve with the standards of life? Would games be less perfect than life to get the thrill of living in a difficult world as a sort of recreational thing?
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 02:22:27 AM »

Would join an existing indie studio tbh. Then I wouldn't have to reinvent a lot of things including design and code.

Now that I think about it, that's a great way to get rid of budget constraints - just get paid.

There's surprisingly little to spend money on in software development, aside from salaries and a few licenses. I'd probably get a really nice office chair and desk and a big monitor.

Then I'll travel around the world for a few months and work out of a hotel in Bali or somewhere cheap. I've actually done this on real world projects and it's surprisingly productive.
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 05:18:48 AM »

Now that I think about it, that's a great way to get rid of budget constraints - just get paid.

I always thought being comfortable with that is giving testament to my creative hollowness. Tongue Surely everyone with a true call to being a gamedeveloper whishes to realize his very own special dream project and not that of the guy with the money?

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 01:32:13 AM »

I always thought being comfortable with that is giving testament to my creative hollowness. Tongue Surely everyone with a true call to being a gamedeveloper whishes to realize his very own special dream project and not that of the guy with the money?

Join someone who is already working on your dream project?

Not all guys who have money are soulless executives building pay-to-win social games. Thanks to crowdfunding, people get to throw money at that guy with an awesome dream.

Let's say someone plans a budget of $100k to finish this project on his own within 5 years. They instead get funded $500k. That's probably enough to hire over 5 people to finish the same project in 2 years instead. Then they can work together as a team and build better games, or just do other things.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »

An "ideal world" would actually fit within good video game design principles.

Kindergarten/Preschool would be low-wage work with positive feedback loops, and those wouldn't abruptly stop at any point, just scale up as you "level up" in your years.

I don't think we're losing the permadeath thing, although the idea of save points and extra lives couldn't hurt, could it?

shellbot
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »

Team of 10-20 devs. Everyone else in the company works around us so we can focus on the games.
We regularly put out amazing games and re-sculpt the gaming landscape.

Become the gamedev version of Led Zepellin or The Beatles or God Evil
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic