Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:28:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs★ Intergalactic Road Warriors ★ Alpha on Early Access
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: ★ Intergalactic Road Warriors ★ Alpha on Early Access  (Read 17663 times)
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2016, 04:03:20 AM »

We've been silent for a while. We both had some other work to do and we couldn't really spend time on IRW. Now that that's behind us we can focus on the game again.

Currently we're working on getting the game ready for early acces. We want to make some money with IRW as soon as possible. Smiley

We just finished a new video log, it sums up some of our recent work quite nicely. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2016, 07:48:46 AM »

Hand Metal Left
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »

Hey guys. We've just launched another devlog video! Smiley

tpkth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »

Oh wow I have been following you guys on twitter for a while but I didn't notice you had a devlog here!
Amazing stuff, like everyone said, the game simply looks fantastic!
And congratz for the greenlit!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »

interesting watch. the logo in the center was a bit annoying.

keeping the players close to each-other after a crash is not that easy... if the tracks are short and a crash takes a few seconds it gets even more difficult. I haven't really come up with a good solution myself. easiest would be to give some kind of small speed bonus to the ones further behind, but in the end that might just be like cheating?

Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2016, 03:44:08 AM »

Still working on the game. Working towards a march early acces release.

We've got a new devlog video up:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2016, 05:14:11 AM »

Nice to see how you're also getting better at making devlogs as the project moves forward.
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2016, 06:34:13 AM »

Thanks. Smiley It's like most things, I guess you just have to do it to get better at it. :p

Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2016, 01:47:35 AM »

So after another month of development we decided to release onto early access. Bottom line is, if we don't see any money coming in soon we'd have to call it quits for now. The game is currently in alpha, and lot's of stuff is still to change. Our goal is to get a small community going on the steam discussion forums. Wish us luck!

early access:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/435210

Website is up and running:
http://intergalacticroadwarriors.com/

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2016, 02:46:42 PM »

Website does not work.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »

Works for me, but I'm in the Netherlands so might not be the best test-audience for that.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2016, 11:27:59 PM »

Website works and looks great in the US.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »

Something screwy is going on with the background layer for me: http://i.imgur.com/lkJnYjk.jpg

I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 with dpi scaling at 125% since my display is a relatively small HDTV. Probably not going to be a widespread problem but I figured I'd mention it.
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2016, 04:34:45 AM »

It's been a while since I updated this thread, but I might as well do it now.
A quick summary to get you up to date:

- After we hit early access we did a number of content updates, currently we've got 5 tracks in-game with a 6th one almost finished.
- Sales would be okay if we'd live with our parents, but we aren't. :p So currently we're slow-cooking the game at 3 days work per week. We've got to pay bills so yeah.
- We got xbox devkits but we can't use the unity version for it because we're using smart-sprites from the old unity beta branch. Benjamin is almost done recreating the smart-sprites from scratch though, so we'll be updating the project to the latest unity version as soon as possible.
- Development has slowed down because of sales, but we're also marketing the game and that also takes time. We'll be showcasing the game at Gamescom 2016.
- Talking to 3 publishers at the moment to help is with the game, but we want to wait till after Gamescom to see what's our best option.

That's basically what we've been up to, if you'd like to know more specifics, just ask or check out our youtube channel.
Now back to the game.

One of the things we hear from new players is that it isn't clear what's coming up in the tracks. That and that it isn't clear where they are compared to the rest of the racers.

Track design needs improvement by placing more unique land marks, but I think we can also tackle a part of the problem in the UI.

Here's a mockup:

A minimap might help players learn tracks faster. The horizontal bar at the top shows your position and that of other racers. Also a top 5 ranking has been placed on the left side.
Boost and Powerup UI has been simplified and streamlined.

Still w.i.p, but I'd love to hear what you guys think.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2016, 05:09:19 AM »

Just a thought, but if you combine the top bar and the minimap somehow, that's one saccade less to worry about as a player. Especially with a high-speed twitch reflexes game like this seems to be something that could be crucial.

Related, and also relevant to eye movement: Fitts' Law

Maybe a bit too extreme an idea, but what if part of the upcoming track was already visible in squeezed form (either on the main view or in the mini-map), like in passage except faster:

http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/

Or, like two minutes into this video:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:03:56 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2016, 05:21:12 AM »

A really like that squeezed view idea. Smiley

Also, thanks for the links!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2016, 06:05:51 AM »

Thanks, it's a cool effect for sure. I'm not entirely certain that it's a good fit for this game however, because it might remove the wonderful sense of speed the game has at the moment. Stretching the landscape a bit as it gets closer to the player to make it appear to move faster however... Wink
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2016, 02:59:10 PM »

Well if anything it might a good idea for the minimap like you said. :p

voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2016, 10:02:12 PM »

This is a looot of fun. Really takes me back to my motorcross madness days.

I've only been time trialling, but I love the lack of course overview that forces you to learn the track.

So far I've managed to break into the low 1:15s, good enough for fourth, but there must be something I'm missing, because the guy in front has a 1:07.

My main suggestion would be to offer a keyboard overview for the controls screen - not all of us have gamepads, and it's a pain fumbling around to find the right buttons.
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 02, 2016, 01:26:53 AM »

The motion blur looks super cool in these clips, is that something that comes by default with Unity or did you implement that yourselves?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic