Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:04:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Night at the Races
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: A Night at the Races  (Read 11877 times)
Gargoyle440
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2015, 03:57:09 PM »

It sucks that the textures aren't working, sorry =/

But there's something to be said for people going from immediately dying, to quickly picking up the controls.  It must mean that although it isn't intuitive, it's relatively easy to pick up and learn, and that isn't easy to accomplish!

I'm super excited for this game!
Good job!
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

It sucks that the textures aren't working, sorry =/

But there's something to be said for people going from immediately dying, to quickly picking up the controls.  It must mean that although it isn't intuitive, it's relatively easy to pick up and learn, and that isn't easy to accomplish!

I'm super excited for this game!
Good job!

Thanks for your kind words and support, also sorry for the late reply! Smiley I'll make more elaborate tests (accompanied with properly adjusted levels, differently from the previous one) to see if people adjust to it as I expected.

I believe it will be fine, once you develop your muscle memory I find it pretty easy (and fun) to repeat successfull runs on very hard levels!

On the art side, I'm still not sure the art in game works as well as the concept piece. I tried something different today, I would love to hear any opinions on it:

Old concept:

New concept:

It's very rough, but you get the idea.

Basically the two-colored platform (the most common type - yellow top & brown base) at the previous one is not working well with different kind of backgrounds. If I want to spice up the background and use some darker colors, the bottom part of platform is losing its visibility, and if I use some light colors, top part is affected similarly. The second screenshot has the advantage of platforms being composed of well-lit colors, so on the background I can use both dark & middle tones to an extent, so that I can differentiate levels a bit more (hopefully).

Also, reddish enemies obviously can be easily detected on cool colors.

However, if I go with 2nd one, I need to figure it out how other types of platforms / blocks will be. I'll try going with snow-like colors for soft ones, and ice like colors for hard ones probably.

So, which one do you like best?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:36:40 PM by UmutD » Logged

Gargoyle440
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2015, 06:58:21 AM »

Honestly they look like they could both be levels from different areas in the same game, like the different worlds in a Kirby game.

Having said that, I can see where your problem lies in that the second one has more depth to the background, but the blocks have become relatively transparent/translucent, and that'd be really difficult to pay attention to when the game is moving at speed.

It's kinda like a "scorching desert" versus "deep forest" kind of feel.   Depending on how you construct the rest of the game you might want to keep both; like whether it's level based, or endless (kinda like http://adamatomic.com/gravity/) and even then you might be able to find a way to blend the color palettes together as a transition, I don't know.

Also, I was thinking about the control scheme and what you said about your test responses.  This game is quickly starting to sound like a fusion between Super Meat Boy and One Finger Death Punch.  If you agree, at any point if/when you get writer's block with how you want the game to move forward, those two games may be sources of inspiration.

Finally, you mentioned that the game making process was "nerve-breaking,"  do you need any help?  I work in audio and would love to help out if you need.  I'm super excited to play this game.
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »

Thanks for the input again  Toast Right I think I'll stop working on art for a while, I seem to hit a roadblock.

Yes, controls feel a bit like one finger death punch, definitely more timing is included than button-mashing.

Super meat boy was one of the first games people mentioned when they looked at the game, and it's making me think how I can avert that (or if I should? I don't know if its player base would find my game enticing actually)

The thing is, although I knew SMB for a long time, I didn't played it until recently, when a friend mentioned it again when he saw my game. I know people love its controls and overall package but somehow it didn't grow on me. It feels very different from current gameplay and what I'm aiming for (Also I wouldn't want to trespass into cloning territory, anyway) However, "little competitive twitch-based levels" aspect seems to match as far as definition goes, since I dropped the procedurally generated endless level based gameplay, which was my initial plan.

Regarding the audio, I was thinking of asking a friend or try to sort it by myself somehow, since the budget I have is only enough to cover my time and expenses for this project. Sorry, but thanks for your kind offer anyway Smiley

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:52:31 PM by UmutD » Logged

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »

Looks cool - just keep developing and it will work itself out!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Gargoyle440
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »

I think the biggest aspect of the assets that you've shown that remind me the most about SMB are that the game seems to have relatively simple controls, moves very, very quickly, has some form of wall hugging and jumping, and has a square character.

Other than that I think people will also relate Bones to SMB because of the higher difficulty curve.
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 04:51:37 AM »

Looks cool - just keep developing and it will work itself out!

Thanks! I hope it will, it's already going better in the last few days Smiley

I will try to make a detailed update post in the following days. Thanks for the comments guys.

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »

Meanwhile... After all the hassle, I like the new direction art is taking with the new colors. Differently than before, now it also looks good (and readable) in motion too.

batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2015, 12:18:19 PM »

Looks amazing! Keep it up.
Especially loved the glass breaking effect.

Designer | Developer | Website | Twitter | Devlog: Almost a Hero

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
ragnor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »

Now, this is an update! Finally i can see the game and i want to play it soon. So work faster please  Hand Any Key Smiley
volkan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 05:58:16 AM »

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing. ( this is a quote by Salvador Dali )

so i think, there is nothing wrong to imitate super meat boy Wink. probably the mechanics will evolve something
original in time. the last animated gif seems promising. keep up the good work.
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2016, 09:02:10 AM »

Thanks guys.

so i think, there is nothing wrong to imitate super meat boy Wink. probably the mechanics will evolve something

Ummmm... But I never said I am imitating something. As I said before, I never even played it until recently, when several people mentioned it (along with other games) after seeing my gifs. Mechanics/movement already feel very different to me. I think you misunderstood, but thanks anyway.

-----

A little update
No new visual update, I'm taking notes mostly for myself:

• Tried applying different color palettes to new art. Blue one will probably stay as the main one but I might add different modes/levels (different gravity, acceleration / bouncing rates etc.) with different colors.
  • Level editor has new buttons that allow bulk moving, which makes level editing even more easier.
  • Current level count: 24. Some may need a bit more fine-tuning. My goal is making 80, at least.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:46:44 AM by UmutD » Logged

wirelessbrain55
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »

This a very cool game. When do you think you will be able to let us play a demo? Thanks
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2016, 05:08:33 AM »

This a very cool game. When do you think you will be able to let us play a demo? Thanks

Hey, glad you like it! I'm not sure if I'll release a demo, but if you want to be a tester when the time comes, you can leave me your mail & skype (for screensharing while testing) You can send me a private message in case you don't want to write it openly. Thanks.

volkan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »

Thanks guys.

Ummmm... But I never said I am imitating something. As I said before, I never even played it until recently, when several people mentioned it (along with other games) after seeing my gifs. Mechanics/movement already feel very different to me. I think you misunderstood, but thanks anyway.

-----

A little update
No new visual update, I'm taking notes mostly for myself:

• Tried applying different color palettes to new art. Blue one will probably stay as the main one but I might add different modes/levels (different gravity, acceleration / bouncing rates etc.) with different colors.
  • Level editor has new buttons that allow bulk moving, which makes level editing even more easier.
  • Current level count: 24. Some may need a bit more fine-tuning. My goal is making 80, at least.

Hey i'm on your side here Smiley. i wrote that for the people mentioning SMB. can i play this as a beta tester too? Wizard
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »

Smiley No worries, just wanted to clear any confusion if there is any. You can send me your mail & skype by private message (Skype is useful for watching how people play and where they get stuck)

By the way, it is not certain if I will be able to send test builds to everyone who contacts me, so I can't give any promises, but I'll definitely keep it in mind in case there comes a right time! You can never have too many testers Smiley
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:58:49 PM by UmutD » Logged

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »

Wanted to drop a little note here, in case anyone is wondering.

After some thorough testing, I decided to take a small break from this project, because it needs more time than I envisioned initially. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I believe it's sometimes better to return with refreshed batteries. Currently I'm working on a small mobile game, it's already close to finish line.

To people whom I didn't contact for testing: I didn't forget you, I just tested the current build with enough people and decided to save others for the next batch, because it is always nice to try with people who are not accustomed with the game. Thank you for your understanding.

Gargoyle440
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »

Hey man, take your time.
It's better to go slow and produce something you're really proud of, than rush something out the front door just so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Having said that, I'm still crazy excited for this project!

But seriously, take care of yourself.
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »

Hey, thanks man! I was pretty sure everyone forgot this! I agree, it would be bad to rush it just to finish it. I hope I won't dissapoint at the end Smiley

Thanks again, really. Your comment made my day  Smiley

wirelessbrain55
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »

It's great that you are still working on it just make sure to give us regular updates. Also what was the goal of the game I just never really caught that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic