Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:58:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Night at the Races
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: A Night at the Races  (Read 11876 times)
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2016, 04:50:27 AM »

It's great that you are still working on it just make sure to give us regular updates. Also what was the goal of the game I just never really caught that.

Gameplay-wise, goal is to collect all red-heads and reach the end on each level. Story-wise, well, I'm still trying to figure it out. Probably it'll be something concise and goofy, since what I want to focus is gameplay for this game.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2016, 04:56:28 AM »

Gameplay-wise, goal is to collect all red-heads and reach the end on each level. Story-wise, well, I'm still trying to figure it out. Probably it'll be something concise and goofy, since what I want to focus is gameplay for this game.

Your story will find itself - you're getting these ideas from somewhere so just let it all come together.

I started with a vague idea of a theme for Mable and the story just fell in around it. Not that I'm really interested in telling anyone the story, they're clever enough to work it out for themselves.

I think with this, so long as I have a reason to start on my journey through the game and the gameplay is compelling, I don't need a lot of story for the game to have an impact on me.

Ramble over - hope it helps!

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2016, 01:54:31 PM »

Ramble over - hope it helps!

Thanks Andrew, it definitely helps!

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2016, 03:31:27 AM »

Well, I'm resurrecting this devlog.

First, an announcement (a bit shameless self promotion). After 2 years, I finished a new game, Eklips. It's a small puzzle game based on completing squares around a dot. Of course you have the liberty to not believe it because I'm the maker of it, but imho, it turned out really fun to play, it involves a bit more strategy than your usual block game and has a unique feeling.

There are no ads, no IAP, that kind of stuff.

Here is the townhall topic I've created for it.
Here is the game website
...or if you're already ready to put your faith in me, here is the app store link where you can buy it.

I really hope that it brings some extra income so that I can spend more time on Bones, and hopefully other projects..

And about Bones...

Bones, though still lacking a proper name, is very much alive, and have some new & neat features that are already in the game.

I also tried to adress some of the problems I figured out in the first phase of testing, especially introductory levels which were supposed to ease your way into the game. It was a rough process, I'm not gonna go into details, I'll check it out with another testing phase.

About porting Bones to mobile, Eklips helped me learn mobile stuff (thanks to friends who helped a lot) and I'm now less afraid to dive into it, but I don't think it would be easy enough to port Bones with it's current structure. I think it was already hard because of twitchy controls. So, first PC, as in the original plan.

There is also the usual worries. How much time will I be able to sink to this project, how much money will I spend, will Eklips gain any extra time for this one as I hoped? Well, we will see.

Also, itch.io's new refinery (closed testing system) sounds really good. I might try it for this one, but also I'm not sure yet, my budget (and the time it buys) is going down very quickly. May be I should try an indiegogo campaign to widen its reach (I can't use kickstarter where I live).

So, that all for now. I will just put this here in case you missed those links above, feel free to buy Eklips and support me .

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2016, 06:40:53 AM »

I have purchased Eklips, but only and only because it looks great. Also, it looks like the kind of game suited to a phone.

Hope it's selling ok for you Smiley

kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2016, 06:43:51 AM »

This is the first I've seen of this, both Bones and Eklips look great!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2016, 01:27:55 AM »

Eklips is awesome! The only downside is that I can't mute the music with the phone mute - which means I can't get away with playing it at work Wink

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »

@kcbanner, thanks!

@and, thanks, I'm glad you're liking it! I think I'll be able to cover an extra few months thanks to the sales of Eklips. I'm looking into that bug, meanwhile you can mute music / ambient / sfx separately or all together from options (gear symbol) in the main menu until I roll a update... Aaand while writing this, I guess I've found the solution! Though still can't be 100% sure since I can only test on ipad right now but this seems to be it...

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2016, 09:34:38 AM »

A late update:

I continue working on the game but I couldn't find much energy to post any updates because of several reasons:

• My country Turkey is a mess, currently. Last months were full with terrorist attacks and some of them took place in the capital, Ankara, where I live. On top of that, last week there was a coup attempt and we were awake all night while listening window shattering bombs / sonic booms of jets & machine guns from streets. So... yeah.

• I'm mostly focusing on level design, without adding new graphics. Some units are still represented as boxes in the game. Doing constant updates & creating good gifs in this stage take extra effort and it can be hard to keep my focus on the game itself if I constantly think about what to write next as an update.

Obvious side effect is devlog seems dead and not many people visit here naturally. So I will try to make more updates. My current goal is to complete minimum 80 levels (current count is 51), which are very compact & sometimes very hard. Then I'll polish everything, add menus & stuff and then put the game on greenlight.

Anyway...

One challenge was how to spice up the game with different elements, as you progress. I really love these new additions, such as blocks that you can hold on to & slide below (these blocks are also breakable by dashing), and jump pads!

(This time I couldn't manage to capture gifs while maintaining the actual frame rate, don't know why. game is a little slower than these gifs -not much but enough to give you the opportunity to actually perceive & react to what is happening!- )

There are also new berry types you need to collect in further levels (besides static berries & berries with constant speed), one is the shooter (with guided missiles) and other is some kind of a time bomb which is triggered when it enters to the active screen.

Hopefully I'll share their gifs soon, when I replace their visuals with something else than boxes.

Take care everyone Noir
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:40:22 AM by UmutD » Logged

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2016, 04:47:04 AM »

I didn't do much anything about the game yesterday. I spent time with mom cat & kittens outside our apartment. They play like crazy. It's amazing that they never complain about rules or physics (which they occasionaly broke).

Mommy cat, setting a new trend.

The gang, using their most effective weapon, aka "the stare".

Anyway, the day before was different.

I designed a level from scratch and fine-tuned it the whole day. At the end of the day, I looked at my creation and felt pride and joy setting in, and contently started to work on an another level.

Three minutes later, I realized I overwrote the new data on the level I just finished.

So, I ate my dinner, and started a replacement level. I finished it much more quickly, since I knew what I was aiming for, but it is different because it's impossible for me to memorize how all segments come together (not to mention all the additional tweaks I made in those segments). I wish I could have kept both levels to compare the differences.

The replaced level.

By the way... I'm thinking to name the game ...
"Bitter Berry".

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:43:39 AM by UmutD » Logged

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »

Small new year update:

I'm still working on this game. Current level count is 92, I plan to stop between 100-120. I also added two kinds of different portals. Latest additions made the game much more frantic, which I like. I need to post new gifs, but I will probably wait until some background elements are ready. Speaking of background graphics:

I fixed a long-time bug which was forcing me to use a time-consuming workaround on how I draw and implement background graphics. So, yay, I will be able to update backgrounds much faster and run towards completion.

Happy new year everyone.

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »

Yup, this game is still on.

castled
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2017, 03:53:27 PM »

berry juicy effects you've got there, looks fun. I saw you mentioned earlier that your gifs capture at a faster than realtime framerate, I've had the same issue (using LICECap which seems to be best quality for me). Not sure if you're still having that problem but I've found the gif optimizer at ezgif.com/optimize has an option to slow them a tad.

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2017, 02:23:39 AM »

berry juicy effects you've got there, looks fun. I saw you mentioned earlier that your gifs capture at a faster than realtime framerate, I've had the same issue (using LICECap which seems to be best quality for me). Not sure if you're still having that problem but I've found the gif optimizer at ezgif.com/optimize has an option to slow them a tad.

Thanks! Yeah, I decreased the speed of the last gif with ezgif's optimizer, it's a life saver. My observation is, this problem doesn't seem to happen when I capture a game working at 30 fps, with 30-33 fps selected in gifcam's capture rate, but happens when I capture this game (working at 42 fps), with same fps selected at gifcam. Lowering gifcam's capture rate to 30fps also produces weird stuttering results at this particular situation.

I'm kinda inclined to use fraps and then use a converter for more professional looking gif's in the future, because direct gif capturers kinda slow down the game's performance (probably using too much cpu instead of gpu?)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:02:20 AM by UmutD » Logged

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2019, 07:46:33 AM »

Here is an update.. after more than 2 years  Who, Me?

I am very close to finishing this game. I took a lot of decisions during the time I went away and I hope to write a more detailed post on how some of those decisions took shape.

Here is game's steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082000/A_Night_at_the_Races/

New trailer (youtube):

Thanks for reading.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic