Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:15:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsSerious Inquiries
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Serious Inquiries  (Read 904 times)
Komfy598
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:52:48 AM »

Hello, First of all im new So let me introduce myself.  Gentleman
You can call me Komfy as many people do, I am twenty two years old and I don't know much about game creating. Concerned
Actually let me rephrase that, I have knowledge to a degree but when it comes down to basic naked coding I don't know much. Shrug
At the moment I have some basic idea's and iv gone as far as downloading python, pygame, libraries, notepad++, framework and some other stuff, Iv even checked into codecademy.com But Facepalm I suppose Im getting wrestless, impatient and kind've running on a time limit Screamy. So I am wanting to find someone or perhaps a couple people who would educate me on the matter and along the way put together a game Smiley. I have family who works in a highly professional gaming corporation and I could have an opportunity to have a tour of the facility, I may even have a chance for an entry level job position that would include training if necessary Wink But Before I take that into consideration I want to bring something that will maybe get recognized and become a bigger project.
What Im wanting to create is a 2D Isometric game similar to that of EndlessOnline, Darkages, Ragnarok. So you know Basic fantasy MMORPG complete with quests and monsters, a level up system, easy to socialize on, would even like to make it with a personal avatar creator. I will leave a non personal email here for serious inquiries who would like to discuss more on the matter over skype, apologies if this doesn't belong here, Iv never been great with posting on forums. Beg
@: [email protected]
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 05:12:42 AM »

If this is your first game, then it's too big/ambitious, and you are under-estimating how much work it would be to make a game like that. I recommend starting with a tiny game to get the hang of it.
Who will make all those animated sprites and other graphics?
Are you an artist? What are your skills?

Komfy598
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »

I imagined the process to creating this game would be in stages, many many stages.
Stages that would first start in not really being a game at all at first, I had thought it would start as a chat box and then when it came to creating the game it would start with a top down perspective and eventually make it to its 2d isometric phase.
I have made some inquiries to some pixel artists on various sites who could do the animating and sprites themselves, as far as game sounds go I could make them as I am a musician. I cant say that Im really skillful at anything else other than music and brainstorming Big Laff This will probably sound awful but there use to be this old game by blizzard (starcraft + broodwar ) which im sure everyone knows, I kind've got into it a bit late when I was growing up but there was this 3rd party campaign editor called starforge that would allow you to more or less allow you to create your own game within the game itself. You would use triggers and strings that were already coded and that were more or less commands that just needed to be organized to do what you wanted to happen but I digress. Assuming that no one else will do the animating and other graphics I will take on that role as Iv always tinkered with animation and 8 bit and isometric pixel styled art, the only thing i lack to accomplish anything on that level is the program to do so. Iv always been a self taught efficient learner and iv always had success in what Iv wanted to learn in the field of interest. but other than that Id imagine there would be a pretty heavy commitment in a team that would be needed to make sure that this would work out and its not like id abandon this project as the opportunity im being offered at this prestigious gaming facility means too much, I apologize if that starcraft explanation was off putting , Iv played around with other programs for creating games but I can't remember their names because the last time I used them was years ago on a computer that im sure doesnt exist anymore.
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »

Hi there Komfy, welcome to TIGForums.

First, calm down. Study Codecademy, then get books and more in-depth tutorials. You said you're 22 years old? That's plenty young, unless instead of creating games as an indie you want to break into the AA/AAA industry. No need to get restless, just keep learning and be disciplined. You still have plenty of time to find your calling in game dev and decide if you want to go at it solo or build a team.

Secondly, I agree with melerski's. For a first project, a 2D isometric MMORPG is way to ambitious. And I can talk from experience because when I was your age I also wanted to create huge RPG games. You will finally realize that it's just too much work in content creation alone, not to mention the core game design, which is not easy by any means. I also recommend you start small. Try other genres, maybe a puzzle game or a simple platformer, get the hang of things, if you want to see results faster then try something like GameMaker, Unity, Construct, etc...

At any rate, I hope I don't sound discouraging, I just want to help you make your own decisions by telling you what I think.

Good luck!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Komfy598
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 12:12:17 AM »

Yes I understand that CodeCademy is a great place to start but I never really did well in highschool and the only way I actually ever graduated was doing things my way, I couldnt be taught or atleast a teacher couldnt teach me, So in reference of the two being the same I fear that I may not learn coding as well as codecademy offers. Iv always learned best by taking things apart and seeing them work by individual pieces and then getting my understanding from that. I dont really care if its a big project for an individual, I actually prefer to do things on my own or in very small groups, anything has always been more efficient that way in my experience and its not like actual coding will be hard for me, probably the hardest part of this for me will be trying to obtain the programming I need because by any monetary means I cannot afford such programs and also having very little or poor reference into what Id need for programming to accomplish my following goals.
Iv tried installing things like orgmaker and game maker and other programs a like but for some reason these never installed properly and I had never been able to use them on my current computer and I had noticed that the full versions of these were quite expensive which has been the only thing to discourage my success so far.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic