Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:43:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesRover Race [finished]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rover Race [finished]  (Read 18526 times)
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »

Here's my attempt at a B-Game creation. It's titled Rover Race, it's created with Game Maker, and you can download and try the current development version here: www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/Roverrace.rar

In the game, you control the new Mars Rover built by the folks at MASA, which for some inexplicable reason should reach the exit (currently marked by STOP-signs), while avoiding any dangers on the path.

Due to the distance between Mars and Earth, however, there will be a delay between the time you press a button and the time you will see the Rover's reaction.

EDIT: This IS the finished version now. Have fun, and post your times if you like.

I'll probably change the graphics and add background music, as well as more levels, and the existing ones will be reworked.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, since this is my first released game I'm very interested in your opinion.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:43:26 AM by Derek » Logged
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:27:50 PM »

This game is infuriating! Angry

So why can't I stop playing it? Cry
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 02:36:25 AM »

That's what I like to see: some hard science fiction!

Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 11:37:56 AM »

Next version is up, featuring a better storyline (as if), a new kind of danger and additional rooms, as well as changes to the existing levels.

Edit: In this version I can also guarantee that all levels are in fact solvable! Wink
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:05:25 PM by MedO » Logged
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »

Allright, uploaded the final version. I'm a bit concerned this might be a bit too easy, but maybe I just got better at playing it while developing and you all will be thoroughly frustrated (as I hope).

Whatever, have fun! This is a really short game, and I didn't even manage to include some of the points I mentioned above. If you're really good you can try a speedrun, theoretical minimum is probably less than a minute. ... dang, forgot to include a speedrun counter. Let me reupload in a minute...

Edit: Speedrun counter has been added, and a tiny other issue was fixed.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 12:20:23 PM by MedO » Logged
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:05:44 AM »

Shocked too easy?

It's pretty hard! A very, very neat idea for a game, though. Frustrating, but fun.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »

The idea behind the game is ingenious, it really is.  But no, I still haven't beaten the first level. Tongue
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 04:13:13 AM »

Thanks, but I don't think I'll expand on the theme soon  Smiley
Concerning the difficulty, when you work on a game like this and test the levels, it starts getting easier over time (I can usually beat the first level first try), and you can't well judge the difficulty from the view of someone who sees this for the first time.

Some advice for the first level, go about it slowly. After all, you aren't being chased by ghosts or something (yet Wink). When you accellerate, just tip the forward button quickly, so you don't go too fast. You can also accelerate backwards by pressing the "down"-Button.

I've beaten all levels except the last one myself, and I made sure the last level is possible. There are only five levels total, and each one has something not seen in the levels before.

Here's a screenshot of the second level, just to get your hopes down Wink

jazzuo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »

oh i got into this game but i finished only first level.
I think this game concept is wonderful and the story behind it makes perfect sence with the controles!! you should work on this further!!. Ill be back when i finish the second level
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »

Dear MedO,

Please find attached the source of most utter detestment and infuriation of all things related to this competition.

Regards,
Alexander

(This message was shortly followed by a massacre at NASA by a madman shouting 'WHERE'S YOUR SATELLITE DELAY NOW?!', and was brought you by how much Level 5 sucks gigantic gonads)
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 03:14:28 AM »

Dear Xander,

Your post proves that the game really is received exactly as I had planned. Reaching Level 5 is already a great accomplishment. This is because one of the four main sources of inspiration for this game was, in fact, Sexy Hiking (thanks for your post jazzuo). So I made a game with a difficult to control character and fiendish difficulty.

The other influences were Oxyd/Enigma, Doom3 ("background story") and the "Prototyping for Braid"-Video ("time-based" gameplay).

In order to bring some balance back to this matter, I'll try to beat the last level myself today. Previously I had only made sure it's possible, by playing through with disabled delay, but I think it's fair if I, too, have to experience the entire frustration of my work.
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 03:34:08 PM »

Hahaha, that's the worst part. It's absolutely definitely possible to complete, but it's also rediculously likely I will die trying to do so. Which makes it the BEST B-GAME EVER. Greatness indeed!
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 03:44:26 PM »

Allright, I kept my promise and started up the game again, to complete it myself without any tricks. I present you the first official "speedrun" time: 18 minutes and 29 seconds! I admit the last level IS frustrating, and once I almost made it but ran into the guard ghost, which is an awful experience because, well, you know you almost, almost made it... In fact, that's precisely why I placed him there :D.

Allright, the first person who solves this game in less than 10 minutes gets an award of awesomeness from me, and the first person who manages in less than four minutes will receive a stone-old CD with 50 shareware games I just found in my stack of game CDs Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic