Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:38:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralgeeking corner (tech, science and cool stuff)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: geeking corner (tech, science and cool stuff)  (Read 6904 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2016, 06:21:48 AM »

I don't see how this thing is any more or less on that path though

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2016, 07:47:14 AM »

It's to bust the pet bubble, neither cats and dogs were any useful, especially if you had disabilities...
:^)

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2016, 08:45:15 AM »

JeffBerk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »

http://blog.livecoding.tv/2016/07/04/work-life-balance-tips-for-game-developers-programmers/

nice article
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »

http://qz.com/726338/the-code-that-took-america-to-the-moon-was-just-published-to-github-and-its-like-a-1960s-time-capsule/

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »

I told this to my mom and she asked what assembly was. When I told her, she asked if it was the "morse code of programming" and I think that's the best description of assembly that's ever been proposed.

froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2016, 03:19:04 PM »

Cool to see Boston Dynamics is making stuff that might eventually be useful for the average person.

I see the potential for nightmare fuel.

And yet, still not satisfied...
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2016, 03:30:29 PM »

I told this to my mom and she asked what assembly was. When I told her, she asked if it was the "morse code of programming" and I think that's the best description of assembly that's ever been proposed.

If assembly is the morse code of programming, what would the interpretive dance of programming be?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »

Probably Python.

froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2016, 04:24:59 PM »

This is what I saw the moment I saw that thing:

http://imgur.com/b1K7fwN

At first it walks around like a cute little puppy dog... then OH MY GOD IT'S EATING HIM

And yet, still not satisfied...
Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2016, 10:09:07 PM »

again ....
Not sure how practical it is really, light is directional and you need a clear path
At the same time the bandwidth is phenomenal and makes up for it
I don't know what the intended audience is for this video, but to say that one thing uses light and one thing uses radio is not very scientific. Radio is light. They mean their thing uses visible light. Also, I find it difficult to believe that they can modulate the brightness of an LED faster than one can modulate a radio frequency. It just doesn't add up. How is this technology different than the IR signal that a TV remote uses? Additionally, some brief research tells me that LED fiber optics only reach speeds of up to 100 Mbits, as opposed to a Gbit for wifi, so I don't see how these guys are gonna improve the speed while at the same time switching enough power to have LEDs bright enough to overcome the ambient interference caused by other light sources in the room. Additionally again also also, they mention people not being able to steal your signal, do they not password protect their wifi networks? I'm calling this technology bunk. That's right, bunk.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »

Storage device writes information atom-by-atom

[...] Dutch scientists developed rewritable memory that stores information in the positions of individual chlorine atoms on a copper surface.
The information storage density is two to three orders of magnitude beyond current hard disk or flash technology. [...]

"In theory, this storage density would allow all books ever created by humans to be written on a single post stamp," said Dr Otte.
Or, by another measure, the entire contents of the US Library of Congress could be stored in a 0.1mm-wide cube. [...]

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »

Is it durable? the current problem of storage is fast decay ...

Also what are the seek times, writing failure rates and what are the mass production cost :D

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »

Is it durable? the current problem of storage is fast decay ...

Kind of:

[...] the team at TU Delft believe their method is much more stable than methods using loose atoms - and more suitable for practical data storage applications. [...]

Also what are the seek times, writing failure rates and what are the mass production cost :D

Write/read is super slow:

[...] the speed of single write and read processes is still slow - on the scale of minutes. [...]

And on top of that you'll need a fridge to make this magic work:

[...] However, despite its future promise, the approach is not ready for the real world just yet. Stable information storage could only be demonstrated at a temperature of 77 Kelvin (-196C) [...]

But:

[...] "It is important to recognise the significance of this accomplishment — a functioning high density atomic-scale memory device that will, at the very least, stimulate our imaginations towards the next such milestone." [...]

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »

thanks!

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2016, 09:28:46 PM »

Explaining to a highly skilled machinist what it means when code is commented out on a CNC program using an increasingly specific set of metaphors that eventually become meaningless until it suddenly clicks only to be met with

"Ohhhkay I get it now.  That's bullshit."
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2016, 06:01:01 AM »

http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/squirrel/

The link for the image and the webpage are the same. :O
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12262470

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2016, 06:26:10 AM »

Researchers have built the first quantum computer that can not only be programmed, but, just like a regular computer, can actually be reprogrammed, too.

This latest device is only made from five atoms, but it's a huge step towards building scalable, functioning quantum computers that could change the way we process data forever.

Source

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2016, 06:55:06 AM »

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »

The world’s first baby to be born from a new procedure that combines the DNA of three people appears to be healthy, according to doctors in the US who oversaw the treatment. [...]

Dr John Zhang with the world’s first baby born using DNA from three people. [...]

World's first baby born using three-parent IVF technique

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic