Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:36:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 376579 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2009, 03:47:03 PM »

How 'bout a low-poly alternative to Mirror's Edge? Still first-person parkour, but the levels are made out of big blocky chunks- almost like making a playground out of Lego pieces, making it easy to assemble new levels with pre-generated pieces. Also, multiplayer.

You just described the downloadeable level pack for the original ME. Minus multiplayer. And the ability to create your levels.
See, that's why I haven't played Mirror's Edge yet, because I think the dlc looks better than the main game.  Shocked

I'm sorry, but that's just not right.  See, if Mirror's Edge were an indie game, it would've been that low poly, trippy looking game that was fun to play.  Not AAA garbage with a tacked on combat system/storyline.  Developers should learn that the best way to handle a new topic is quite simple and bare-bones; just look at how many indie games have done that successfully, instead of trying to be more than they are.

I'll play Mirror's Edge at some point, but I guess I'm just bitter about the whole thing, because I can see just how much better that game could have been if it had been given an indie treatment.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2009, 04:58:08 PM »

I want to play Mirror's Edge, but I can't because of the ultra-realistic graphics that make my processor gasp for air. I imagine I'm not the only one who has this problem- yet another reason for the low-poly style.

That said, I do think the DLC looks wonderfully trippy.

Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2009, 03:04:32 PM »

the sims, but with zombies

keep track of your hunger, bladder, hygiene, and other essential things while on the run from the living dead
Taco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »

Encore! You play a guy whose world has been invaded with (musical) themed enemies! A mysterious alien being called Fem goes into you, and now with the powers of ROCK, you become a Beat Warrior, someone who can access the Beat of the Universe, and try to stop these rogue Beat Warriors from destroying your planet! It plays like guitar hero, but with power ups, and epic battles!
There is one like this, made by someone attending digipen I think.
Synaesthete, my friend. Achieve musical nirvana today!
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2009, 03:15:21 PM »

Something I really want to see is a mix of Resident Evil, Dead Space, and Metroid. It would be a very scary, story-driven, 16-bit platformer. The platforming elements would be precise and challenging, like Metroid. The puzzle/inventory system would be intact, like Resident Evil. The scary would be very Dead Space.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Fuzz
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »

Something I really want to see is a mix of Resident Evil, Dead Space, and Metroid. It would be a very scary, story-driven, 16-bit platformer. The platforming elements would be precise and challenging, like Metroid. The puzzle/inventory system would be intact, like Resident Evil. The scary would be very Dead Space.
All Our Friends Are Dead is not quite like that, but very platformy and very scary.
shig
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2009, 06:59:52 AM »

SuperSmash-like MMO with highly-customizable characters and attacks.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »

An idea I came up with over in the mash-up thread:
Action/Music/and maybe even platformer?

So here's how this would work:

Moving around in the game is just like in any other platformer, arrow keys to move left and right, jump, move on ladders and what not.
When you get within fighting range of an enemy, a guitar hero/rockband type thing comes up on the screen, but transparent so that you can clearly see both the level and the notes.

White and colored circles move down the screen (just like in in guitar hero), and using the qwert keys and spacebar (or down, depending on which hand you wanna use) you play the song. Hitting the note with varying perfection (like in the ddr games) does corresponding amounts of damage.
At the same time, black and colored circles move UP the screen. This is the ENEMY'S song which does damage to you in the same way you do damage to them. Still using the qwert keys and spacebar, you must also play the enemies song. Again, hitting the note with varying perfection blocks corresponding amounts of damage.

As an added bonus, if a note from both yours and the enemy's song is moving along the same bar, playing the note at the exact moment they are together does a double damaging counter attack.

I like this system because, it offers the chance to have some rpg elements, like cave story, but still relies heavily on skill, like cave story.
And it lets you use a few different strategies when fighting. Should I focus on my defense and get in whatever hits I can when I can? Should I focus on offense and rely on my skill to kill him before he kills me? Or should I find a balance between the two?
If done right, the difficulty curve should have players start playing defensively, but as they get better, get more and more aggressive.

Also the reason for the transparent fight song screen is that if you choose, you can just run away.
Tomato
Level 0

Boosh.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2009, 01:42:19 PM »

"An earthquake strikes a high-security mental asylum, cutting the power, trapping most of the security staff and inadvertently freeing all of the inmates, forcing the last sane doctor (in his/her mind) to fight through the bedlam using improvised weaponry and escape alive." - a gritty metroidvania platformer with emphasis on melee combat using efveryday objects and low ammo, with surreal middle segments where your own sanity is very much called into question

"Fly the moon through the solar system, shooting down stars and asteroids in your quest to take those big mean planets down a peg, but don't expect them to go out quietly!" - quirky, cartoony scrolling shump with emphasis on boss fights against anthropomorphic representations of the eight planets and the asteroid belt, featuring the Sun as a final boss and an Old One (think Lovecraft) as a hidden boss

"A disgruntled grunt in the main villain's army quits his job so he won't get killed by the heroes, but winds up as an enemy of both, forcing him to put together his own party of like-minded cannon-fodder enemies, in this affectionate parody of typical JRPG mechanics" - party-based RPG where the party members are all normal enemies and when they die you have to get another random encounter and recruit more of them, in the hopes that you can keep up with the ever-levelling 'main' characters

That's all I got.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »

I was thinking of making a game after the cockpit compo, but would it be a good idea? Basically, you have to play every one screen level three times, but every time you play it time and space shifts slightly and it changes, like platforms appear and disappear, meteors rain down, bosses materialize, etc. and if you died you'd be sent back one part of the level. I think I could do good to make it based on what the first room is but randomly skew it from there, using a generator, to keep each iteration of the level fresh, and maybe mess it up twice for the last iteration?

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »

"An earthquake strikes a high-security mental asylum, cutting the power, trapping most of the security staff and inadvertently freeing all of the inmates, forcing the last sane doctor (in his/her mind) to fight through the bedlam using improvised weaponry and escape alive." - a gritty metroidvania platformer with emphasis on melee combat using efveryday objects and low ammo, with surreal middle segments where your own sanity is very much called into question

"Fly the moon through the solar system, shooting down stars and asteroids in your quest to take those big mean planets down a peg, but don't expect them to go out quietly!" - quirky, cartoony scrolling shump with emphasis on boss fights against anthropomorphic representations of the eight planets and the asteroid belt, featuring the Sun as a final boss and an Old One (think Lovecraft) as a hidden boss
First one sounds awesome
For the moon one: You should offer 2-player mode in which player 2 plays as pluto!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2009, 03:47:39 PM »

You live on a fantastical island, colorful and full of fun! As a Professional Hero, you rescue and help the citizens every day! However, mysterious black objects start raining from the skies, and they are invincible... until a mysterious jewel falls from the sky! you investigate, and it attaches to your arm... and calls itself Rem.

The game would be a 3D Action RPG. You can have a Weapon, an Armor, and that's it. Your only stats are Attack, and HP. Armors increase HP, and Weapons increase Attack. Enemies are worth low levels of XP, but you don't need much to level anyways.

The big twist is that by killing one of the enemies, they leave behind an 'Essence'. Rem can use this 'Essence' to power you up, kind of like Kirby. For instance, a Fire enemy leaves a Fire 'Essence'. Killing enemies quickly will increase your Synchro Meter. By filling 1 'Bar', you bond with Rem a bit more, so for instance, in Bond One for fire, your blade is on fire. In Bond Two, after filling up your Synchro Meter once, your whole ARM is on fire, along with your Weapon.

You have 1 'Special' when in a Synchro, in Fire this is a Fireball. Your regular attack also gains different properties too, depending on the Essence. Fire grants the chance of burning your opponent.

The game is called... Dreamers.
Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »

The sun has been extinguished and the entire world is dark, and you have to find out why. You walk through the dark world with no weapons, but you do have a powerful headlamp with you. However, its batteries aren't unlimited. Turing it up higher stuns enemies and lets you see more but drains battery life, and turning it lower makes you not be able to see as well, but takes less batteries.
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »

A real-time generation starship game in which several generations of players captain a slower-than-light ship through outer space.

Sort of like Desert Bus except a game takes hundreds or thousands of years.

Dannobot on Twitter
Fuzz
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »

A real-time generation starship game in which several generations of players captain a slower-than-light ship through outer space.

By the time it's finished, the computer would be horribly outdated. :D
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2009, 01:47:27 PM »

hahaha yeah this is the most awesomest game idea ever Smiley

Dannobot on Twitter
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »

There'd have to be some messed up thing so you can't tape down your controller, like the slight veer to the right for the bus. I suggest a nuclear engine that's prone to blowing up at completely random intervals if you don't press a button to stop them (and a near unnoticable veer to the right... No matter how many generations play it, they'll go in big circles if they don't know about it Grin)

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2009, 05:43:51 PM »

There'd have to be some messed up thing so you can't tape down your controller, like the slight veer to the right for the bus. I suggest a nuclear engine that's prone to blowing up at completely random intervals if you don't press a button to stop them (and a near unnoticable veer to the right... No matter how many generations play it, they'll go in big circles if they don't know about it Grin)
Yes, in order to guarantee an uninterupted power supply, one of the minumum requirements for the game is a dedicated nuclear reactor with enough enriched uranium fuel to last the length of the game.  In order to make the game more fun, it will be programmed to randomly expose the player to near-lethal doses of heavy radiation.  Just like in a real generation starship!

Dannobot on Twitter
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »

Instead of a macro strategy game like Supreme Commander, how about a micro strategy game? For example, an arm wrestling game where you control the amount of pressure in each finger in order to maintain a firm enough grip to win.

For another idea: A one-button minigame collection for the PC. Every key could be potentially assigned to a player, so theoretically you could have- hang on a sec...

...103 people crowded around a single computer, waiting for their button to be called. Heck, with that many people, you could just make pressing the button in time the game.
Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2009, 06:30:46 PM »

a one-button fps

the moving is decided for you- you only decide whether to shoot or not
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic