Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:51:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 376726 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1440 on: December 04, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »

A match-3 involving a crane to move numbered and colored boxes around as forklifts deliver them. No one in the warehouse understands the magic of disappearing boxes and goes bankrupt for terrible business and loss of goods.

Aha, it's an anti-match 3.  Avoid matching them in groups of 3, or you lose! :p
Oh, wow, that's actually brilliant.

I could see this being a huge hit.

Got the design on preventing groups of three.

So you were hired and went through training. Simple. Just load these colored boxes on the truck on the right. The only problem is your bozo co-worker. Despite having worked here for eons longer than you have, he manages to goof up by arranging them in groups of three, rendering them disappeared. Disappeared boxes mean unhappy customers. You have a crane, too. Keep your co-worker from matching three or more.

So how exactly would this work if the derp guy's crane is already above a box?  You just have to wait for him to finish moving?  Because the cranes can't really overlap.  There would have to be a time period inbetween his moves where you can make a move.  Which also means if there's two colored crates and he comes in with the same colored crate and starts lowering it, you're already fucked at that point and can't stop him.

You could even make it so accidentally colliding your crane with his causes them to both collapse, also resulting in a loss.

Also you'd probably have to limit the variety of box colors to 2-3 at most, or it'd be too easy to avoid getting matches.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:19:59 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 04, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »

A match-3 involving a crane to move numbered and colored boxes around as forklifts deliver them. No one in the warehouse understands the magic of disappearing boxes and goes bankrupt for terrible business and loss of goods.

Aha, it's an anti-match 3.  Avoid matching them in groups of 3, or you lose! :p
Oh, wow, that's actually brilliant.

I could see this being a huge hit.

Got the design on preventing groups of three.

So you were hired and went through training. Simple. Just load these colored boxes on the truck on the right. The only problem is your bozo co-worker. Despite having worked here for eons longer than you have, he manages to goof up by arranging them in groups of three, rendering them disappeared. Disappeared boxes mean unhappy customers. You have a crane, too. Keep your co-worker from matching three or more.

So how exactly would this work if the derp guy's crane is already above a box?  You just have to wait for him to finish moving?  Because the cranes can't really overlap.  There would have to be a time period inbetween his moves where you can make a move.  Which also means if there's two colored crates and he comes in with the same colored crate and starts lowering it, you're already fucked at that point and can't stop him.

You could even make it so accidentally colliding your crane with his causes them to both collapse, also resulting in a loss.

Also you'd probably have to limit the variety of box colors to 2-3 at most, or it'd be too easy to avoid getting matches.

Bozo's crane is a background crane with boxes that can't be collided with until placed.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 04, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »

Bozo's crane is a background crane with boxes that can't be collided with until placed.

What if the crane is just the equivalent of the Tetris block dropper, and Bozo actually moves up and down the sides of the stack, pushing and pulling rows of containers around, and across the bottom removing them? That way there are no secure areas, he can move one, setting up combinations, *poof*.

Or.. um... or the opposite! Bozo drops them, you have to shift the stack around one container at a time by removing them to avoid combinations. But you can't remove the same type of container back to back?

Or.... or there's a dinosaur named Stacy.
Outsourced
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 16, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »

I am here with the sole purpose of pitching my game design.

So, my game's working title (Small note, I hope to end up making this) is What Binds Us. It is a 2D Action Adventure Puzzle.

You play as Tim, an average cubicle monkey, trying to pay the rent each month. When an old man in funky cloths enters his life when he discovers his real purpose:

To defeat the unbound, a group of evil demons

To do this, Tim receives a magic ring that lets him see the bindings, the strings and connections that bind the world together.

The gameplay revolves around the ability to manipulate these bonds.

Here's and example:
Tim walks into a room. There are two goons guarding the exit. There is a ceiling light and a switch for it. Tim could do a few things.
1. He could create a negative bind between the guards. They would then attack and kill eachother.
2. He could create a negative bind between the light switch and the guards. If Tim turns the light off, and a guard turns it off, the light will shock him.
3. He could take the guards out himself.

This gives quite a few possibilities for puzzles.

So, this is my core concept. Thoughts?
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 16, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »

So, cartoon racing game, with craaaaazy weapons, but... zombies.

Like a cel-shaded, big head Carmageddon.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1445 on: December 17, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »

So, this is my core concept. Thoughts?

It doesn't seem like there are any wrong solutions, just different choices that lead to the same result.  How would you make it puzzle-like?
Friend
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 19, 2012, 12:53:19 AM »

A game where you have to get the key to exit the level... but there are other people that cant get the key and you an give the key to them. HOWEVER, only one person may exit though a door with the key. So you either beat the game, or let someone else escape the level.

The cake is a pie!!!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1447 on: December 19, 2012, 12:36:03 PM »

Kind of another "to-do-someday" pitch, inspired by chatterboxing with Nortrodamas:

A Thiefy game, in psuedo 3D by giving you a double-view perspective - one as an overhead, a second as sidescroller, and six-directional controller (although doubling Up/Down with North/South would be a tricky layout to devise...)

Each stage is constructed out of 10 x 6 x 8 tile rooms, hallways and main rooms wide open, side rooms (like Security Office, Bathrooms, etc.) closed off except for one port-of-entry, which will cut off the other doorways as well (like how puzzle pieces stick out/into each other). They each have 2-to-5 ports of entry/escape, and 3-6 places of interest. Your goal in each level (besides the opening level) is to find a particular treasure hidden in ONE of these places, although the others can have good, bad, or interesting stuff in them as well; and escape (not necessarily the way you come back in). You're given a sketch of the layout in advance, for route-planning, and can choose which entrance you go into, but the whole situation is indoors.

You can go back and forth from in and out of disguise (some of these are in broad daylight/public!), and are juxtaposed in hiding from law enforcement, and not being caught acting suspicious around other people (if they see you hiding, many will alert law enforcement to "code yellow", a few will take vigilante action themselves!), although if "in disguise" at the time (takes a moment to change), will NOT tip off to your undisguised self.

Just for kicks, sometimes some kids will be around, playing Hide and Seek or Cops and Robbers, too. If you get tagged, you'll be "it" and have to tag one of the other kids before you escape, or take a penalty. The first level is just you breaking out of jail, kind of a warm-up to set the mood. It's kind of a "full circle" thing where anytime you get maimed or busted, you go to jail for your Game Over (and your score drops to 10% of it's total); or if you've won the game, you character goes for one of many "victory celebrations" and then gets busted for something totally minor and unrelated (you keep the full score); or maybe in one ending, they break back into jail for shits and giggles, and it's like nobody knew they were even gone. It's kind of a running joke that goes with the main character(s). Maybe a choice between a shady dude and a wicked babe, or even maybe make them compete head-to-head on some levels (or via multiplayer).

There's four "classes" of levels, each getting progressively bigger (and thus, more space to cover between the points of interest) and each level itself getting more crowded with NPCs - ranging from just one or two in the beginning, to a fully armed mall or museum staff with security systems in later ones. They all basically go through two checklists of 4-5 things - one that they do on their way out and another that they do on their way in. So some come and go, others leave and come back, creating a certain tension, especially around the entry/exit points; and that's where the meat of the gameplay comes in.

How's that so far?

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #1448 on: December 19, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »

a game about an aspiring martial artist training in a somewhat urban environment but not too far from nature.  the game would focus on his training as integral to the story and not just a character management system.  fighting would play like a refined brawler, at first your characters movements would be awkward, but as you progress with training and street combat, they would become more precise.
sonjool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 28, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »

A wilderness survival game that takes place on an island.
Simulation approach to the survival with not-too-abstracted crafting elements (getting a rabbit would get you hide, bones, meats at the least) and taking inspirations from stories like The Castaway by Robert Zemeckis, Suicide Island by Mori Kouji, and The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. Visually would be something along the lines of Dear Esther.

toothypegs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 31, 2012, 07:54:31 AM »

Small 3D FPS exploring/puzzle game where its pitch black apart from balls you can throw and see where they bounce, where they roll, and where they come to rest.   Can you work out the layout of the level and find your way to freedom?
toothypegs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 31, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »

A game where you have to get the key to exit the level... but there are other people that cant get the key and you an give the key to them. HOWEVER, only one person may exit though a door with the key. So you either beat the game, or let someone else escape the level.

How about there are lots of keys but only one works.  You don't know you have the right key, and no one else knows either.   Trade, or don't trade.  Escape, or don't escape.
toothypegs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 31, 2012, 08:00:01 AM »

I want to make a game that's half lithium mine simulator, part TD, part rougelike.

Let me 'splain.

You start with a small patch of land somewhere in Nevada. You have a simple mining operation and some kind of weak fence with a gate in it. You make money gradually by selling your lithium in the town. You can buy supplies in the town.

Here come the animals. Wolves, big cats, pigs, rodents and more start arriving periodically. They might break your defenses, chew wires, drink from a pool and die in it, or attack you. You have to defend yourself somehow; with weapons, turrets, and better fences.

You might eventually make enough money to buy bigger and better mining equipment, growing your mine and allowing you to make more money. You start to become a real competitor in the area. Mysterious vandals start arriving. Much smarter than the animals that used to attack you. Do you kill them, scare them off, or capture them and interrogate them? They are people after all. Different options have different consequences.

Then the monsters start appearing. Where do they come from? You set up good automated defenses at your mine and venture out into the salt flat. Do you explore the cave systems in the mountains, or go check out your competitors mines?

Basically the game goes until your done playing. There might be a few ways to "win", but overall I'd like it to be more or a sandbox type experience with a lot of little wins throughout a large story arc.

Sound like fun?

Love games like this where I can grow and build an empire.  Would like it if I could buy up land "square by square" and defend it appropriately.  Upgrading weapons, equipment and so on based on money from mining activities.  Nice.
toothypegs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 31, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »

Pitch a game idea? Ok.

You're the captain of a small airship forging out into the world to make his fortune. You explore a world governed by warring city-states who you can ally, trade with, or betray. These city-states are separated by vast swaths of wilderness hundreds of miles across; infested with  organized pirates, pretenders, and rogue nations. The game world is about the same size as the pacific ocean.

Despite being a 'steampunk' setting, the combat revolves around hard science-fiction (fuck that exposed gear hipster shit), and each part of the airship has a function that will be disabled if it is damaged or destroyed. This can be used to your advantage in a scenario such as destroying an enemy's balloon pumps to restrict their altitude adjustments while battling in a small valley, essentially trapping them.

During your journey you can modify your airship for combat, trade, or even make it into a flying brothel. This game idea comes from my insatiable desire to run a literal mile high club in a video game.

Really like this idea - I've had a hankering to do an airship based game for a while.  This one sounds kinda like "Elite with airships" which is no bad thing.  It would be really really nice to have realistic physics on the airships, so firing off a cannon shoves your ship in the other direction etc, carrying a heavy load would affect inertia etc, having wind potentially slam you into cliffs, getting slow punctures causing you to sink until you get repair etc.    Bombing runs would also be awesome. 

Persistent multiplayer or some sort for this would be awesome.
Friend
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 01, 2013, 05:28:16 AM »

Pitch a game idea? Ok.

You're the captain of a small airship forging out into the world to make his fortune. You explore a world governed by warring city-states who you can ally, trade with, or betray. These city-states are separated by vast swaths of wilderness hundreds of miles across; infested with  organized pirates, pretenders, and rogue nations. The game world is about the same size as the pacific ocean.

Despite being a 'steampunk' setting, the combat revolves around hard science-fiction (fuck that exposed gear hipster shit), and each part of the airship has a function that will be disabled if it is damaged or destroyed. This can be used to your advantage in a scenario such as destroying an enemy's balloon pumps to restrict their altitude adjustments while battling in a small valley, essentially trapping them.

During your journey you can modify your airship for combat, trade, or even make it into a flying brothel. This game idea comes from my insatiable desire to run a literal mile high club in a video game.

Really like this idea - I've had a hankering to do an airship based game for a while.  This one sounds kinda like "Elite with airships" which is no bad thing.  It would be really really nice to have realistic physics on the airships, so firing off a cannon shoves your ship in the other direction etc, carrying a heavy load would affect inertia etc, having wind potentially slam you into cliffs, getting slow punctures causing you to sink until you get repair etc.    Bombing runs would also be awesome. 

Persistent multiplayer or some sort for this would be awesome.
Faster Than Light much? Giggle

The cake is a pie!!!
toothypegs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: January 01, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »

Hmm yeah it could be cool if it was more open than FTL - I liked FTL but it was annoying to have to constantly run run run away.  Elite is nice because you can just dawdle along at your own pace if you want
Friend
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 01, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »

Hmm yeah it could be cool if it was more open than FTL - I liked FTL but it was annoying to have to constantly run run run away.  Elite is nice because you can just dawdle along at your own pace if you want
hmm true. But that was the idea of the game. You are fleeing. When all hope rests in your hands and the lives of countless people rest in your hands, would you dare risk failing? When outnumbered 1000 to one, you would rather deliver the message than stay and fight. At least thats the vibe I got from it.

The cake is a pie!!!
toothypegs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: January 01, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »

hmm true. But that was the idea of the game. You are fleeing. When all hope rests in your hands and the lives of countless people rest in your hands, would you dare risk failing? When outnumbered 1000 to one, you would rather deliver the message than stay and fight. At least thats the vibe I got from it.

Yeah I got that kind of vibe too, but it wasn't how I wanted to play it!
Friend
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 01, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »

Yeah I got that kind of vibe too, but it wasn't how I wanted to play it!
Then it's not really a quest, more like an exploration.

The cake is a pie!!!
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 02, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

This was originally posted as part of a larger game concept, but I just wanted to hear what folks thought of this one slice.

I wanna make a game where there's not one threat to deal with to save the world, but four - zombies, giant insects, robots, and aliens, all working independently and separate from the other factions to destroy humanity. (This was before I found out about The Pocalypse, for the record.) They have different motivations for wanting to kill the humans, but the sentiment is the same, so they need to be stopped.

The four sides are like-minded in their "destroy all fleshy delicious Earthlings" goal, but vary in most all other ways. They have different weaknesses; insects and zombies alike are afraid of fire-based weapons, but insects can handle bullets much more easily. They attack in different ways; robots and aliens are more strategically minded, while zombies use the old fashioned horde rush method. They vary in trackability; the insects travel underground and are difficult to pinpoint, the zombies' destination can be extrapolated from their direction, and the aliens will outright announce their next targets on TV in a form of alien chivalry.

The climactic danger of these enemies, the events which will happen halfway to three-quarters into the game, is that two factions may join forces in their attack. Like the attack targets of the different groups, the combining of forces is randomized with each game, so a group might capture and enslave the insects for battle, or the aliens might get infected with the zombie virus, making them more violent and engage in mob attacks. You can't predict what will happen in any playthrough, so you'll need to be prepared.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic