Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:31:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 376717 times)
toothypegs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 02, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »

This was originally posted as part of a larger game concept, but I just wanted to hear what folks thought of this one slice.

I wanna make a game where there's not one threat to deal with to save the world, but four - zombies, giant insects, robots, and aliens, all working independently and separate from the other factions to destroy humanity. (This was before I found out about The Pocalypse, for the record.) They have different motivations for wanting to kill the humans, but the sentiment is the same, so they need to be stopped.

The four sides are like-minded in their "destroy all fleshy delicious Earthlings" goal, but vary in most all other ways. They have different weaknesses; insects and zombies alike are afraid of fire-based weapons, but insects can handle bullets much more easily. They attack in different ways; robots and aliens are more strategically minded, while zombies use the old fashioned horde rush method. They vary in trackability; the insects travel underground and are difficult to pinpoint, the zombies' destination can be extrapolated from their direction, and the aliens will outright announce their next targets on TV in a form of alien chivalry.

The climactic danger of these enemies, the events which will happen halfway to three-quarters into the game, is that two factions may join forces in their attack. Like the attack targets of the different groups, the combining of forces is randomized with each game, so a group might capture and enslave the insects for battle, or the aliens might get infected with the zombie virus, making them more violent and engage in mob attacks. You can't predict what will happen in any playthrough, so you'll need to be prepared.

Is it some sort of tower defense idea?   Or something more strategic?  I like the idea of this if your actions affect the plot, e.g. if you really hammer the insects early on, do you then just face "Insect Level 2" regardless of how easily you won, or does your easy win change what happens next?   You could get some really cool emergent-type plot through this, e.g. alliances, combined attacks etc where you've proven to easily defeat any one on their own before.

BTW, I'd love to see a FPS tower defense game combined with elements of Source Forts where you basically have to build up your defenses literally bit by bit.  This could be cool in this setting.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 02, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »

This was originally posted as part of a larger game concept, but I just wanted to hear what folks thought of this one slice.

I wanna make a game where there's not one threat to deal with to save the world, but four - zombies, giant insects, robots, and aliens, all working independently and separate from the other factions to destroy humanity. (This was before I found out about The Pocalypse, for the record.) They have different motivations for wanting to kill the humans, but the sentiment is the same, so they need to be stopped.

The four sides are like-minded in their "destroy all fleshy delicious Earthlings" goal, but vary in most all other ways. They have different weaknesses; insects and zombies alike are afraid of fire-based weapons, but insects can handle bullets much more easily. They attack in different ways; robots and aliens are more strategically minded, while zombies use the old fashioned horde rush method. They vary in trackability; the insects travel underground and are difficult to pinpoint, the zombies' destination can be extrapolated from their direction, and the aliens will outright announce their next targets on TV in a form of alien chivalry.

The climactic danger of these enemies, the events which will happen halfway to three-quarters into the game, is that two factions may join forces in their attack. Like the attack targets of the different groups, the combining of forces is randomized with each game, so a group might capture and enslave the insects for battle, or the aliens might get infected with the zombie virus, making them more violent and engage in mob attacks. You can't predict what will happen in any playthrough, so you'll need to be prepared.

Is it some sort of tower defense idea?   Or something more strategic?  I like the idea of this if your actions affect the plot, e.g. if you really hammer the insects early on, do you then just face "Insect Level 2" regardless of how easily you won, or does your easy win change what happens next?   You could get some really cool emergent-type plot through this, e.g. alliances, combined attacks etc where you've proven to easily defeat any one on their own before.

BTW, I'd love to see a FPS tower defense game combined with elements of Source Forts where you basically have to build up your defenses literally bit by bit.  This could be cool in this setting.
For the idea, I was actually thinking like a turret tycoon game. You make the turrets for people around the world to defend their shelters, balancing supply, demand, and quality, researching different weapon types, and driving the other turret companies into the ground. Eliminating a race is not the goal, although it is possible, and will remove that race from the rest of the game. The actual goal, for the most part, is to gain the monopoly on the turret market. Like Recettear but for tower defense.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1462 on: January 02, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »

My friend and I came up with this: Roguelike Dating Sim. You're given a random set of physical features and fetishes and try your best to score. That cute girl at the bar might be willing to talk to you... or just wants to add you to her severed head collection. The guy with a strong chin and gorgeous eyes looks nice and wants to eat you out... because he's a cannibal. Try your best to survive and get laid. If you get a second date, you win.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 02, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

Try your best to survive and get laid.

LOL.

This idea sounds hilarious. You guys should do it lololol.
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1464 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:28 PM »

Try your best to survive and get laid.

Best tagline ever. DO IT

toothypegs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:09 AM »

For the idea, I was actually thinking like a turret tycoon game. You make the turrets for people around the world to defend their shelters, balancing supply, demand, and quality, researching different weapon types, and driving the other turret companies into the ground. Eliminating a race is not the goal, although it is possible, and will remove that race from the rest of the game. The actual goal, for the most part, is to gain the monopoly on the turret market. Like Recettear but for tower defense.

oh right awesome, so you just pay for research, marketing, distribution etc, but don't actually fight?  Nice!  Like it.

It would be seriously cool if you could have a x-com "geoscape" global view where you can see the extent of the invasions and where to concentrate research/selling :-)
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 03, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »

My friend and I came up with this: Roguelike Dating Sim. You're given a random set of physical features and fetishes and try your best to score. That cute girl at the bar might be willing to talk to you... or just wants to add you to her severed head collection. The guy with a strong chin and gorgeous eyes looks nice and wants to eat you out... because he's a cannibal. Try your best to survive and get laid. If you get a second date, you win.

Fetish ≠ homicidal compulsion
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:37 PM »

Fetish ≠ homicidal compulsion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lust_murder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorarephilia

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 06, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »

rek's point still stands. Those are just two fetishes from tens/hundreds of them...
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 07, 2013, 07:34:44 AM »

Nobody ever said they were the same thing. Zest said that you get random fetishes, and that your potential dates might be murderers. Being insane isn't the fetish, it's the caution.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1470 on: January 07, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »

I've already played that one. It's called OKCupid.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »

Ha!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1472 on: January 09, 2013, 05:59:46 AM »

Don't you mean Craigslist? :p
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 13, 2013, 06:32:15 AM »

I would really love to make and play this game but it's so unrealistic that I'm putting it here. Maybe someone with enough resources could make it.

It's a scifi game of many genres inspired by the world of the Stargate, mostly SG-1 and SGA.

The main part of the gameplay would be about controlling the big spaceships. The catch is that you would be a normal human or possibly some other race (FPS view) and all the controlling would be through the typical computer terminals (as seen in the series) which would be used in the style of Doom 3/Penumbra/Amnesia. You could freely walk around the ship, everything would be functional.

If you managed to capture enemy's ship, you could go in it and control it just as well. You could also infiltrate the enemies' ships using a stealth transport ship and fight over it's control or destroy it's engines etc. in a FPS gameplay (but probably inspired by the Wolfire Games' Receiver, to make it more realistic).

You could also pilot small ships/fighters which would play as any realistic flight simulator such as Jane's USAF, Falcon 4.0 or the DCS games, though the future tech is easier to use so it probably wouldn't be that hardcore.

There would be no HUD most probably to make it realistic, or at least it would be very minimal. With some weapons, you would have to know how much ammo there is left, some would display it (similar to the Assault Rifle/SMG in Doom 3). If someone hit you, a blurred red indicator would signify the direction from where you were hit but no other indication. Injuries would be realistic, so hit in the leg would mean slower movement or no movement without help of somebody else, hit in the head would be instant death (unless you had some special armor, which by the way would realistically obscure your view) etc.

And as said earlier the control of all the ships systems would be from the physical terminals. You wouldn't have any view from outside the ship etc. everything you would see is either from the windows (if there are any) or info from cameras/sensors which you would view on the terminals. If some part of your ship got broken, you could manually fix it by replacing broken parts etc. in the Penumbra/Amnesia style. You could of course give orders to people under you, so if for example someone invaded your ship, you could order the lieutenant sitting at the right side of you in the command center to take control of the ship and go hunt the invaders yourself with a team of marines equipped with P90s Smiley.

The game would be singleplayer or possibly coop multiplayer with max about 8 players, definitely no MMO.

The last thing is the story. At the start of the game, you would probably pick from one of the available races/fractions of which there would be 5-10. The ally/enemy relations would be generated for all the races, everyone would get a randomly assigned place in the galaxy, number of ships etc. As there would be a whole galaxy to explore and conquer, it would probably have to be procedurally generated, possibly with some premade places to make it more interesting.
There's one thing about the races/fractions. In most of them, you would start as a commander of one of the ships, but there would also be the rebels/bandits/loners. If you picked them, you would start on some planet with just a few weapons and a few comrades (about 3-10, no army, just a little squad) and you would be free to do anything you want. Steal ships, assault the enemy teams etc. It's also possible that there would be no sides to pick from at the beginning and you would start as a bandit automatically.

So, in one sentence, command and control big spaceships, explore exotic worlds and conquer the whole galaxy.

I thought about having the ability to design and then fly your own spaceships but that would probably make it a whole new level of impossible to make.

So this game is essentially Stargate: The Series: The Game...
PeteDevlin
« Reply #1474 on: January 15, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »

Pride:

As the leader of the pack you must lead your lions across the Serengeti on a migration. Facing the harsh temperatures, scare food, other packs, birth and death within your pack, there is no doubt you'll make it...but will you be forever changed?

I suppose it more a though than a design, but I like it.

Dev
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 15, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »

That sounds a lot like Tokyo Jungle, Dev. I suppose it'd have a higher roguelike bent, with the run-based gameplay combined with a clear objective across a single landscape. I would suggest it have randomly generated elements for replayability's sake.
PeteDevlin
« Reply #1476 on: January 15, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »

That sounds a lot like Tokyo Jungle, Dev. I suppose it'd have a higher roguelike bent, with the run-based gameplay combined with a clear objective across a single landscape. I would suggest it have randomly generated elements for replayability's sake.

I've just checked a few videos and it's unusual isnt it? Pride would definitely be a single rolling landscape and might perhaps have alternate story paths based on how you play (who you lose, which new cubs are born). Random elements are a must, but I wouldn't have any hud info. Perhaps a deeper system for understanding the needs and morale of the pack...
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1477 on: January 17, 2013, 04:21:41 AM »

A mix of Advanced wars and Gun Bound/Worms.
Basically small armies of with 3-4 units per side, for mobile phones and pads.
2D side-scrolling with fog of war and fully destructible environments.
Different types of units, like flying, heavily armored, heavily armed or quick units.

Since it's turn based it doesn't even have to be played in real time.
The fog of war would add a new aspect to the genre and make way for scout units with higher vision range and abilities like flares.

With a singleplayer campaign, survival mode and multiplayer.

PeteDevlin
« Reply #1478 on: January 17, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »

A mix of Advanced wars and Gun Bound/Worms.
Basically small armies of with 3-4 units per side, for mobile phones and pads.
2D side-scrolling with fog of war and fully destructible environments.
Different types of units, like flying, heavily armored, heavily armed or quick units.

Since it's turn based it doesn't even have to be played in real time.
The fog of war would add a new aspect to the genre and make way for scout units with higher vision range and abilities like flares.

With a singleplayer campaign, survival mode and multiplayer.

Draw a picture...I'm intrigued!
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 19, 2013, 07:35:56 AM »

So this is for fans of the TTT gamemode in Garry's Mod mixed with adventure games like Clocktower and Lone Survivor.

In this multiplayer game you and the players have to survive and solve a murder mystery in a large mansion. The majority of players spawn as innocent people, a smaller percentage as murderers and detectives. You can not tell innocent people from murderers so it is up to the detectives to figure out who is who and the innocent to stay alive. You can find knives, blunt objects to either protect yourself or to murder others. The murderers can utilize traps and other things that are specific to that class.

So far it is basically just like the TTT gamemode.

The twist is that you navigate on a 2D plain with adventure game controls. So the map layout works like in Lone Survivor and Clocktower where all scenes are presented from the same angle. This makes the navigation of the house more complex and more stressful when in a dangerous situation. Also, no map screen.

There are a lot of items you can interact with to hide or other uses. You can only chat with players in the same room. When a player is murdered there is a chance they let out a scream before that which will alert all the other players in the mansion. The basics of the game are pretty simple which will give more room for systems to use in detective work.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:44:55 AM by Mono » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic