Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:38:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 376616 times)
vids
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1580 on: May 09, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »

People respond to graphics. The sudden black screens for text give me the impression that this is going to be an artsy style game, which is both uncommon for smartphone and not the best format for your rpg. Plus it's just an uncomfortable shift. Ideally, do it the way an actual rpg would, with a picture of the person talking and a text box at the bottom of the screen.

I understand.

Well let's say we do that, imagine it's decked out with great artwork and has a variety of short micro-games involving coins and rewards with a two to three hour storyline.

Do you think this would be a good game on the platform? Would YOU like to play something like this?

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1581 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »

Eye wood.

Make it even if nobody wants to play it. If you want to make it then who cares?

vids
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1582 on: May 09, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

Well I could make it, there's nothing stopping me. Spend some time in the attic and voila, GAME!

But I'd like it if you could tell me what you think of this design, whether it's good at all or am I on that gamedev high right now thinking it's the greatest game ever that just HAS to be made.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1583 on: May 11, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »

I can tell you for sure when its done.

vids
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1584 on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »

Well, alright then I guess I should get to it.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 12, 2013, 05:02:30 AM »

Survival horror game on a bike.
If you slow down too much on the bike, they catch you.
If you crash into something, they catch you.
If you turn too hard, you fall off the bike and they catch you.
HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 12, 2013, 05:54:35 AM »

Take any JRPG, the overworld becomes Temple-Run, combat sequences turn into Fruit Ninja and other events are represented by small games like Find the Hidden Object etc.

You glue these scenes together with some dialogue (with little player choice) and tell an interesting story. Then, you break the fourth wall and ask the player what they got out of collecting coins for the past couple of hours.

the idea sounds cool until you mentioned the fourth wall. Sounds a bit pretentious in my opinion. It's like playing Braid, and at the end of each World, the game asks, "so, what did you learn about Tim so far?" I don't like the idea of being quizzed while playing a game, haha.
vids
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1587 on: May 15, 2013, 10:33:32 PM »

the idea sounds cool until you mentioned the fourth wall. Sounds a bit pretentious in my opinion. It's like playing Braid, and at the end of each World, the game asks, "so, what did you learn about Tim so far?" I don't like the idea of being quizzed while playing a game, haha.

Yeah, I totally one hundred percent agree with you, I felt that way while I wrote it too Tongue. Look I don't read much and I don't know how it's done subtly but I won't let that stop me from thinking of a game that is able to deliver a message somehow, give players something to take home, you know?

Do I still sound pretentious? Concerned :sigh:

HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 16, 2013, 03:39:47 PM »

It's best not to design a game around a single message to be honest. It will deviate you from working on the more important things such as gameplay and overall fun factor. The more you focus on that "message," the less subtle you're going to be as well.

Don't be afraid that people aren't gonna interpret the message the same way as you either. I believe Jon Blow has never confirmed the underlying message of Braid (atom bomb metaphor)? Suda51 has also never confirmed any interpretations concerning No More Heroes 1/2 (indie games vs. mainsteam games) or Lollipop Chainsaw (literally accessorizing the male gender), but it is very fun knowing that people are not only playing your game, but are formulating their own thoughts of the experience. That's the dream I hope for when I start releasing games to the public. To go to a random forum and see what people think of this character, or this story, or this sidequest. Fun stuff!

You definitely don't sound pretentious! You sound more....linear Tongue
vids
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1589 on: May 22, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »

It's best not to design a game around a single message to be honest ... but are formulating their own thoughts of the experience.

Yeah you're right, the 'trick' Giggle I have up my sleeve perhaps isn't all that special.

Vuoripeikko
TIGBaby

bb

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: May 22, 2013, 03:52:19 PM »

You are Galaxy Worm, the mighty eater of worlds! For now, you are small, but by harvesting and consuming the minerals of this planet, you'll soon grow large and powerful. Be careful though, as you consume a planet it will eventually crumble. You must gain enough size and speed before launching yourself with a correct trajectory to the next planet!

Consume, grow and find even larger planets to eat empty of minerals. But what's this? There's some feeble living beings on this one, trying to destroy your magnificent being? Consume them as well!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1591 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:05 AM »

TIGSouls.

(/thread)

thatbennyguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: May 25, 2013, 04:30:50 AM »

A non-linear exploration game where you roam throughout a lush island searching for clues about your wife's disappearance. You uncover ruined locations, thousands of years old, that represent memories in your mind. The game is a Metroidvania, combined with the narrative immersion of Dear Esther, as you roam the island experiencing nodes of narrative in arbitrary order. The memories you unlock give you various powers to overcome obstacles throughout the island.
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1593 on: May 26, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »

You can teleport to your sword, and make good use of that.

insyzygy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »

The water-covered planet Poseidon has been discovered in a nearby star system. Beneath the ocean depths lie rare minerals ripe for the plundering, advanced ecosystems and new species to add to human knowledge, and a dangerous environment full of adventure. Find some secluded small island to set up shop and dive into the depths in your modular submersible.

The game would be a 2D exploration game. All underwater terrain would be procedurally generated under the constraint that there's always a pathway leading down. A multitude of environmental variables like pressure, temperature, pH, light level, etc would determine the local ecosystem and what creatures and resources can be found. Pressure increases the lower you dive, and some hull types can't handle high pressure levels. Ideally, most player deaths would be due to poor decision making and not hostile creatures (most creatures would be passive). There would be a lot of risk-reward situations where a valuable resource is in an extremely dangerous location.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1595 on: June 03, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »

A casual swimming game where you have to race others. Press left click for left arm, right click for right arm, a for breathing left, s for breathing right, q for kicking your left leg, w for kicking your right leg. Don't breath for long enough and you slow down and eventually stop. If you beat the others, you win the competition. You then go up a tier. It'll sort of be like competitive qwop with swimming. I thought of it because I swim. And I really like hypox exercises, where you go as far as possible without breathing. Also, buy protein to make your strength higher.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
GCshepard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 04, 2013, 09:02:03 AM »

A casual swimming game where you have to race others. Press left click for left arm, right click for right arm, a for breathing left, s for breathing right, q for kicking your left leg, w for kicking your right leg. Don't breath for long enough and you slow down and eventually stop. If you beat the others, you win the competition. You then go up a tier. It'll sort of be like competitive qwop with swimming. I thought of it because I swim. And I really like hypox exercises, where you go as far as possible without breathing. Also, buy protein to make your strength higher.
I actually had a similar idea in mind a few months back, but instead going towards the "extreme sports" route and having saws and spikes and whirlpools and other deathtraps, where your stroke would change how fast you move, turn, etc, with your swimmer leveling up in whatever stroke he uses the most (additionally, there would be constraints for each race, such as 100 Breastroke). Also, instead of making the main game a QWOP-like, there would be Warioware-like 10 second minigames that you would compete in by mashing buttons and whatnot as quick as possible... Same subject, completely different style, I guess.

... I guess I did have your idea in mind before I made the off-the-deep-end one, though. Maybe I thought of the extreme one because I hate swimming as a scheduled sport, and more as something I do every once in a while...
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 05, 2013, 08:21:29 AM »

A shmup where you play as an octopus, and the different weapon power-ups are all guns that you have to hold in your tentacles to use. You can hold up to eight guns in general, but the ostensibly stronger weapons (missiles, lasers) will probably be two-handed guns.
Conchobhar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1598 on: June 06, 2013, 07:24:55 AM »

You are a skilled theif, and in your attempt to liberate a powerful magical artifact from a stronghold, you wind up having to use it to escape!

The artifact is a set of metal gloves. When you wear them they become gigantic and you are virtually invincible. The challenge is that you have to get out  before they run out of charge, so it's a race against time but you can't die before the time is up. You would play the game many times until you figured out how to beat it fast enough. Lots of secret tricks to find.

Check out my other blog: connorsesarts.tumblr.com

and my puzzlescript prototypes: connorspuzzles.tumblr.com
GameRoom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 06, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »

How about a randomly generated stealth assassin game. You're contracted to kill certain people in their randomly generated manors and get money for doing so. But be careful; if you leave enough evidence, police will find out and track you down. Death is permanent. There is a plot line in which you can bring down the evil organization that you work for by gaining enough power with money. You could alternatively get another ending by getting rid of the police force.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic