Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:19:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralScarlett Johansson to play Zoe Quinn in the movie adaptation of her book
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Scarlett Johansson to play Zoe Quinn in the movie adaptation of her book  (Read 7844 times)
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »

ohok, I haven't actually been keeping up with that stuff

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2015, 09:53:49 AM »

That's what happen when you didn't stand for harassment and sexism in the first place, make the place really free because politician gonna politicized. I have little faith that so called freedom, "minority" don't get to fully experience, will be preserve when we tolerate sociopath already, acting as a censorship pressure, just because they aren't attacking us.

Chris / Level Beat
Level 0

Heavy machine gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2015, 10:31:35 AM »

Yes, I was referencing to the UN hearing mainly. Dacke, you can hardly say they can't be hold responsible when they knew exactly what they were getting into with that hearing and if you listen to the whole thing, they personally suggested censorship as one way of dealing with the issues they presented. People say bad things about them - censor those people! Now whether it was their idea, or maybe they made a deal with some UN bodies that offered them recognition and offering to "spread their message" if they are willing to suggest it - it's anyone's guess. Only they know so it's pointless to speculate. But the fact is that they suggested it and it's not cool.

The whole Net Neutrality thing is one big scam if you think about it. Just looking at the name says it all. Internet is neutral by nature, nobody censors anything in most civilized countries. The only filtered things are illegal (so no censorship, the law). Net Neutrality proposes to censor stuff in the name of preventing and protecting neutral (not censored, not biased) internet. It breaks the law which it swears to uphold.

Luckily, people are well aware of it. For example, global ACTA protests stopped the whole thing for the time being.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »

wait a minute, i thought net neutrality was the thing where ISPs have to treat all internet traffic the same?

what are you actually talking about?  Huh?
Chris / Level Beat
Level 0

Heavy machine gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »

That's part of it. Generally, UE and UN officials often come with bizarre ideas about what it takes to keep net neutral Wink And among ten, or twenty good laws and regulations which forbid unfair practices, you will see one that allows some. One example of that is censorship. Anita and Zoe are now pawns in that game: look! those women are hurt by the nasty people of the internet! Something needs to be done about it! Let's censor the internet.

At first it would just of course be people who behave awfully and why not? There's so much hostility on the internet where people abuse people because they know they are anonymous so they take all their emotional baggate and throw it out onto someone else. But once the mechanism of censoring is established, it quickly becomes a political tool, for example, to censor the proof of the recent administration scandal. And internet becomes another political tool in the hands of people at power instead of unfiltered source of information. That's why politicians dance around net neutrality with shady propositions from day one. Information is power Wink
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

yeah, you seem to be pretty darn confused about what's going on

net neutrality has to do with ISPs not throttling/boosting certain traffic

filtering at the ISP level is only ever suggested with regard to illegal activities

harassment and threats are illegal, so by your own logic there wouldn't be a censorship issue

Facepalm

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »

oh, and btw...

those of us who actually know what's going on and want a free internet are usually against all ISP filtering, including illegal activities

because for them to be able to filter/track activity at that level means they have to spy on everyone at all times and/or manually block individual sites faster than a democratic process could cope with, which is a privacy issue and gives governments too much power

but that doesn't mean we shouldn't ban/remove/remove/prosecute illegal behavior going on online, it's just that we need to use better methods than that

Chris / Level Beat
Level 0

Heavy machine gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »

No need to be offended. You can read some basic censorship and other preferential treatment worries of implementing Net neutrality laws in those links:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/when-net-neutrality-becomes-programmed-censorship-2/5434400
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/technology/258103-net-neutrality-proponents-have-joined-forces-with-the-greatest
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/06/harms-way-dangers-world-without-net-neutrality

A bit about FCC (agency that governs Net neutrality):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-carnes/net-neutrality--can-we-tr_b_609392.html

And here's what an FCC commissioner himself thinks about Net neutrality having to do with concerns I was talking about Smiley
https://www.intellihub.com/feds-may-soon-target-drudge-report-and-the-alternative-media-through-fcc-censorship/

Basically, FCC is an agency which specializes in censorship, only now trying to convince us that they take full responsibility for preventing any from happening. What politicians and other governing bodies say to you about what Net neutrality is and what they try to execute in practice are often two different things Smiley

That being said, sorry for derailing this threat, I'm sure most of you aren't even interested in this and it was about Zoe and Anita and not politics! Smiley
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »

seriously, you really don't seem to know what you're talking about so maybe you should read your own links

your first block of links talks about how the proposed net neutrality laws were incomplete (back in 2014 they had a loophole, which the links discuss) and that we need more net neutrality laws

edit: and again, net neutrality has absolutely nothing to do with addressing harassment or the UN hearing, it's a completely separate issue. So the fact that you bring it up is completely nonsensical. You seem to be repeating talking points that you don't actually understand.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:28:56 PM by Dacke » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »

@chris

No you get the thing wrong, by allowing harassment to spread, you kill freedom, you did nothing about that, it was already censorship through violence, nobody care.

There was no freedom to begin with, there was only censorship.

Chris / Level Beat
Level 0

Heavy machine gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »

Dacke, you just insist on knowing better despite the facts and again derail the discussion from facts into personal derogatives (you seem very heated about the issue). I'll stop, I didn't come here to argue and this conversation has no point anymore.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2015, 12:53:48 PM »

Dacke is one of the biggest net neutrality on this board so, he is the one to whistleblow what was going on EU.

I think he is quite informed.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »

for what its worth: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/im-disappointed-zoe-quinn-speaks-out-on-un-cyberviolence-report

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »

Quinn suggested that a failure to work with “people actually involved in tech” could be to blame for this and other portions of the report.

yeahh that's what i was thinking too. the report sounds like it was written by people who don't really have a clue about the internet. it could have been written by my mom lol.

sad because online harassment does need to be taken more seriously, esp in an age where many people need a public  internet presence for their job and can't stay anonymous.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:01:08 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2015, 04:59:06 PM »

I heard it made aspiring actor chance miserable at hollywood and co.

They now look for views and followers as a hiring factor.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »

Dacke, you just insist on knowing better despite the facts and again derail the discussion from facts into personal derogatives (you seem very heated about the issue). I'll stop, I didn't come here to argue and this conversation has no point anymore.

You link to things that support what I'm saying but seem to believe them to say something different (what, I'm not sure). I don't know how to talk to people who don't understand something, refuse to acknowledge that fact and even link to things that prove them wrong. It's like if you said the earth was the center of the solar system and linked to an article on Copernicus. I'm just trying to make you read and understand your own links.

But since you don't seem to want to do that, here is a quote from EFF that explains what Net Neutrality is:

Network neutrality—the idea that Internet service providers (ISPs) should treat all data that travels over their networks fairly, without improper discrimination in favor of particular apps, sites or services
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:12:31 PM by Dacke » Logged

Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2015, 06:43:05 AM »

With regard to the film, I think this could be a great addition to the tech origin story genre. We haven't seen a lot about gaming, unless you include the awful GTA film.

Gamergate is significant within the history of gaming, and Zoe Quinn is a significant figure. If it's written well this could be great (it won't be written well - but let's hope for a moment).

When will we see a film about Notch?
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2015, 08:07:09 AM »

Gamergate is significant within the history of gaming, and Zoe Quinn is a significant figure.
Not really.

Most people don't know what either of those things are.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2015, 08:13:35 AM »

most people following games though?

either way, anyone who knows about video games knows about that element of video game culture. at least here it's touched upon almost any time games are discussed in mainstream media

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »

never heard of Gamergate before joining tigsource. And i've been an active player....
And even now i don't have a clue of what exactly happened, as it never really got my curiosity.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic