Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:06:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMatt Makes Blog + An Untitled Story v1.10 + Site Redesign
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Matt Makes Blog + An Untitled Story v1.10 + Site Redesign  (Read 5650 times)
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »

...if you perfect a platforming section before the boss, you do not have to repeat it, and offers a tangible subgoal to make the platforming a little more interesting the Nth time.
This is a really good idea, and it doesn't sacrifice any difficulty at all, only frustration.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 12:29:28 AM »

First of all I've gotta say that I really love AUS. It has a really unike little mood going on, and I couldn't put it down during the week I played through it. One of my absolute favs among indie games!

2. One thing I was experimenting with when I made AUS was making the difficulty spike when the storyline had a major "climax" - the idea was that the player would be more drawn into the story if the difficulty rose and fell with it.  And FireCage has a pretty major plot happening when you beat it.
Now that you point it out I can actually recall something like that. Very effective, you get big story events after big difficulty spikes, making you much more engaged. If the story happenings would have shown up after easy areas it would be more easy for the player to don't give a shit.

I'm glad that you work on this again, but I don't think you should make it very much easier. The simple mode is simple enough as it is...

Admire your work man Beer!

EDIT: well, spelling mood certainly isn't easy
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:05:51 AM by JLJac » Logged
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »

Must be something huge after The Curtain's boss. That's one hard section.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Cesque
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »

Great, a reason to play the game again. This time, I've decided to play on Hard - so most likely, I'll grow so annoyed with the difficulty that I'll stop playing before seeing anything new. And about difficult parts: I always had issues with the water boss. Especially since you need to beat him to access a lot of new areas...

At least you weren't there to hear all of my death threats to you at the jumping section before the toughness upgrade Wink

(still, I am very glad you decided to update this wonderful game after the release)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic