Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:19:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingKnightfall
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Knightfall  (Read 4751 times)
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 09:05:03 AM »

I'll give you credits for finding a nice twist on the match-3 template. Solid game, good idea, pleasing graphics. Good production values. I grew incredibly bored with if after three maps (though I played the two first worlds).

There will be people who love it, I'm sure, and you can be pleased with a well-made game.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Megadev
Level 0

Megadev logo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »

If there are literally no combos that can be made on the screen anywhere, then the game will allow you to swap the positions of two adjacent blocks until a set of three is available.  If that's the problem you're having then it's actually an advantageous situation, since you can move the blocks in any way you like until 3 of a kind match up.
As said earlier, there are no combos, but there are those EVIL PINK BLOCKS, which are in a trio. When they are in a trio, it COUNTS as a combo, but you can't actually break them, so it doesn't let you swap.

Ah, you might have found a very obscure bug there - I'll look in to it right away. Getting the balance for the last level was tricky, and we've had a few people getting frustrated with it so we'll bear that in mind for the sequel. Thanks for the feedback. :-)

Megadev
Level 0

Megadev logo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

And I just figured you can switch blocks between eachother. Angry Though I'm not certain when I can do this. Is it when I have no more armor? (I think it's only when there's no way to make a chain anymore)

Okay, one big thing is to have the game's tutorial as an actual in-game tutorial, and not a video with a hard-to-understand voice on another webpage altogether. It's just too jarring a change and honestly a bit annoying.

Yeah I think the switchy thing is only when there're no more moves, which I think is cool since most of the games of this type that I've played completely rerandomize the board when it gets to that point.

And yes, please, to the in-game tutorial.

Groovy game you got there, but I have to agree with the deal about the randomness making it too hard. I was a single space from the door, all ready to click the group and fall into victory when a golden mushroom thingy disappeared and made a dragon land right next to me and end me very abruptly. The same dragon that had just hit me twice before and I spent a few turns trying to escape. The death, while mildly humorous in its irony, was overall not cool.

That's extremely unfortunate I have to say; amusing, but not entirely fair. :-) As for the tutorial, we were a bit pressed for time and just opted to link to the video tutorial that Armor Games produced. Ideally we'd like to have had an interactive in-game tutorial - maybe next time.

Curseman
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 12:40:27 AM »

Getting the balance for the last level was tricky, and we've had a few people getting frustrated with it so we'll bear that in mind for the sequel. Thanks for the feedback. :-)

For what it's worth, I thought the last level was pretty good overall.  Obviously there are others who disagree, but I found the difficulty to be fitting for the final boss without being overwhelming.

The most difficult balance issue to me was that there aren't many ways a player can make up for past mistakes between stages.  For instance, a player who spends a long time on stage 3 of any of the areas and ends up leaving with only a single hit point remaining will have to complete both stages 4 and 5 flawlessly in order to proceed.  A player who didn't anticipate the final boss battle and thus shows up with low health and few or no items could be in for a really rough time compared with someone who got a few elixirs ready in advance.

Full health restoration between levels would be too much, I think.  Maybe bringing the player's health up to a certain point (say, half) if they're beneath it between levels would be okay?  That might be more forgiving than you want to be though, since letting the player's mistakes have long term consequences is not *necessarily* a bad thing.  You could let the player visit the shop between levels, but I kind of like the need to prepare for the long excursions ahead of time.

One solution you could try would be to allow the player to return to the shop whenever they want to (or in the beginning/ending of any level), but doing so means they would have to, but doing so would mean they have to start at level 1 of the current area again.  This would allow the player to never be truly stuck at any point in the game.  It would also allow them to grind money and experience until they're ready for anything in the game, which you may or may not want to allow.  Maybe it could cost some money/exp to do so that's less effective?  Or it sets their money and exp to whatever it was when they first encountered that shop?  I'm just throwing ideas out there.

And Inanimate, it sounds like you just got really unlucky.  Sorry I couldn't help.
Christian223
Level 1

DRAGON was robot

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 06:17:53 PM »

Sorry if this idea was allready said, but i think that you could make the game more fun if you could make the monsters kill eachother, it would make the game more strategic, it would allow the player to think more creatively, and it will also allow for more things and interesting events to happen.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic