Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:23:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Feedback about my art
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Feedback about my art  (Read 8061 times)
alfoux
Level 0

Independant French Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:27 PM »

Hi everybody,

I'm a 2D artist. I use Painter, Illustrator and Photoshop. I like the vector style (Illustrator) and the cartoon style (realist or not). I share with you several pictures of my portfolio and my Instagram which is like a portfolio.

I'm interested in any feedback because I'm working on a video game about Kafka but I've almost no feedback for several months. So, I'm thinking, maybe I'm not good enough and don't have talent. It's hard to work surrounded by silence.

[/center]

Contact-me by MP if you have a project.

Here my Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/raoul_games/

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:24:57 PM by alfoux » Logged

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »

Your art lacks of consistency and the good looking ones looks like traced drawings. Overall there is a lack of volume and no personality.

This one is like really bad. you're not 10 years old right?

I don't think that working on projects with other people is a good way to progress.
To be honest you're not good. You should take some art class and learn the basics first.
You're far away from being a 2d artist... so don't say that you're a 2d artist...
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »

There is a way to criticize someone, it's not an obligation to crush someone who ask for some feedbacks.

No I'm not 10 years, I'm 29 years old.

About the consistency, because this kind of post is also the opportunity of a discussion, I show you here what kind of things I can do. Globally I like the vector style and the digital painting (or digital drawing through Painter). So, it's normal if there is no consistency here because it's not the goal. If you see my project about Kafka, you'll see a consistency.

Some are traced drawings, some no.

I'm sure you take a pleasure by crushing me here, so thanks for the advice but learn how to say something to someone without being a brute. Thanks.

PS : I'm a 2D artists because I draw several 2D arts. I haven't say that I was a good or the best but I am. Stop.

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 04:09:58 AM »

There is a way to criticize someone, it's not an obligation to crush someone who ask for some feedbacks.

Ignore that guy. He called my art "shit" before I even had a chance to post anything.
If you look at the stuff he posts he's not any better than you. He just likes being an ass to everyone.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:20:53 AM »

About the consistency, because this kind of post is also the opportunity of a discussion, I show you here what kind of things I can do. Globally I like the vector style and the digital painting (or digital drawing through Painter). So, it's normal if there is no consistency here because it's not the goal. If you see my project about Kafka, you'll see a consistency.

There is no consistency in your devlog since you're putting different versions.

those are from your Kafka devlog and i just noticed that you struggle finding a definitive style for your game
but it's no wonder because there is a lack in terms of anatomy.
There is whole difference of level between the traced drawings and the non traced ones.

I'm sure you take a pleasure by crushing me here, so thanks for the advice but learn how to say something to someone without being a brute. Thanks.

PS : I'm a 2D artists because I draw several 2D arts. I haven't say that I was a good or the best but I am. Stop.
Look, i don't know if people around you praised your art, but you need to face the harsh reality.

because when you draw like this

It just shows your art flaws.   You're a teacher you said, so tell me, doesn't it look like something youngsters would draw?

Ignore that guy. He called my art "shit" before I even had a chance to post anything.
If you look at the stuff he posts he's not any better than you. He just likes being an ass to everyone.

yes because:
Please do not suggest something so offensively bad as to trace a character and then modify it. that's just bad all-around.
NO, IT'S NOT.

That's how I learned to draw as a child. Much better way of learning than these stupid how to draw books that start:
-step one: draw circle
-step two :draw cross on circle
-step three: Face.
-step four: shade.

without going into detail on how he ended up with a nicely drawn face.

you give bad advice and on top of that your art is bad.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 06:49:24 AM »

I've to answer because you're a liar or a little stupid. I explain.

There is consistency in my devblog because the pictures with colors are from the in-game part. You discover a part of the town, you interact with the items, objects, etc. Ok. As you can see I use a cartoon style for my characters with plain colors because I like that. In several european comics, you'll see pictures with plain colors. But, here you're a liar, the black and white pictures are the cinematics. So, I decided, which is common in a video game (Max Payne for example used photographs for its cinematics, a very different medium from the in-game), to change because I would like to translate the thoughs of Kafka. Each cinematic is what Kafka thinks about what he's living. So, you're a liar. There is no lack in terms of anatomy in the in-game part because it's another style from the cinematics, more cartoon. Show me one mistake if you want but don't say bullshits.

You're also a liar because the character with the yellow sweater was a first version of this character. The last one is different and much better. But, of course, you don't say that because you're a liar.

So say something intelligent but don't act like a jerk. Maybe you're happy, you feel a little power by crushing the others but really...it's useless.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 07:25:32 AM »

the term liar  is wrongly used here.(you used it 5 time btw) I'm just telling what i think about your work.
There is no lack in terms of anatomy in the in-game part because it's another style from the cinematics, more cartoon. Show me one mistake if you want but don't say bullshits.
Your drawings reflect your artistic skills, the cartoon style shows that you don't know how to draw hands and feets
Awkward tracing isn't drawing.

You've got no feedback for several reasons, face it, there's a reason. You should learn some art basics.

I'm emotionless and you don't know how to take criticism.

And nope, you're not an artist.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 07:44:45 AM »

Oh man, you're boring right now.

What I see here is that you don't know what to say about my drawings. You just write "you don't know how to draw". Ok, please, show me a precise mistake....you can't. You don't have to respect the anatomy to draw. I could show yo useveral comics. The last version of my characters used a cartoon style, yes, but are not wrong, it's non-academic. Maybe it's a difference you don't get.

And, just another thing, I had several answers by MP. So, you're wrong again. I've a project too. Wrong again.

I know how to take criticism, the only problem is I haven't see any interesting criticism in your messages just some empty critics. On an another website, I had several critics from people who know how to talk. I don't care if you are emotionless, the only problem is you try to destroy without any precise critic. Nothing. And, I'm wasting my time right now by writing this message. So, say something precise or say nothing.

I'm an artist because I made several posters, banners and illustrations for associations and small companies. So, again, you're wrong.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »

Regardless of the talent level, your response to harsh opinion is arguing instead of inquiring into the reasons behind it, which makes me start to think that maybe you came here for praise or at least a pat on the back instead of an actual feedback.

Your style isn't very popular one and for a reason - if it's executed poorly then it becomes very unpleasant to the eye. By choosing computer generated flat color fills you're walking a very thin line between something great and utter garbage.

So let's take a look, what your style consists of and who executes this style well and who gets away with it?
To create this kind of art we have three main aspects: colors, shapes you draw with your pen, outline width.

As far one of the best creations in this genre is Adventure Time.

What makes it work so well?
- outline isn't always plain black
- shapes are very synthetic and simplified, and while they're not even close to realism, they're very defined and they clearly follow a specific set of guidelines developed by the artist as he doodled (almost always eyes are dots, hands are thin etc.)
- colors almost always are very well balanced (they all match each other), often they're saturated and bright, they respond to the environment they're in
- outline is always the same size and it's thin
- sometimes the outline isn't used at all (sky for example)

An example of this style looking ugly, but getting away with it is Mr. Pickles

To me it's amateurish, but the story and scenes are so strong thematically that nobody has a problem with it.
What makes it look bad in my opinion:
- different widths of outline
- poor choice of colors (although I admit - it could have been worse)

Now let's look at your stuff (the cartoony drawings)

What strikes me immediately is that your colors are poorly chosen. You often use low saturated or darkened colors and if that was at least blue, you could get away with it, but you use desaturated yellows or turquoise, that just can't end well. Of course I suppose it is a theme of a project, but in my opinion it just doesn't work.

Your shapes(lines/strokes) are very loose, undefined. I think this is how we can distinguish who is a seasoned artist and who is merely beginning his adventure, old masters could create a captivating shape with just three strokes while your strokes are clearly a result of taking a guess, an attempt, instead of a thought out expectation.

These were the two main issues I'd comment on here. I won't touch the topic of tracing images, because it's quite obvious it's a bad practice. It's ok to have an episode in one's life of tracing stuff, but in general, don't do it. Also, your bunny rabbit looks like you wanted to make it three dimentional but failed because of not using enough gradients. What comes off your works generally is that you don't spend enough time on them and what comes off your responses here is that you don't seem to be very keen on improving.

So yeah, as harsh as may bakkusa's critique sound, I agree with him that you should move on to a classical approach of learning art meanwhile practicing cartoony stuff if it's important for you. I recommend the film Whiplash if you think bakkusa is rough and "crushing".

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »

this was on your instagram.

Perspective wise, the shadows ,the folds, it's off.  but ok maybe,it's an artistic design choice but then it lacks the decision of whether you're going realistic or cartoon, in the end it has no style at all and it just looks mediocre.

I looked at almost all your work searchable in google. I saw nothing that looked professional.
I'm an artist because I made several posters, banners and illustrations for associations and small companies
you must be so proud to be an "artist". good for you. I released a few soundtracks and even sold some, am i a musician?

You should check out the Art section, you can find real artists there. And some of them are really skillful and yet they don't even call themselves artists, because they are humble.

I read this on another website:
“La démo qui sortira en novembre sera un gros tournant du développement. J'angoisse car ça fait quand même un peu plus de 6 mois qu'on bosse dessus et d'avoir aussi peu de retours me fait douter du jeu même. On verra avec la démo. Encore merci. ”

Yes it's hard to make a game and it's scary. But the way i'm talking to you is less harsh than what you're going to face once you'll be putting your demo outside to the world. You gotta do something before going on further.

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »

You gotta work on your fundamentals. But the better traced/whatever stuff isn't so terrible. The toony stuff doesn't really stand up or mask your lack of practice/experience.

Responding just to the original post: You're good enough for a hobbyist developer. Express yourself and have a good time man. If you want to make assets for cash I think you've got a lot of work to do.

And don't beat yourself up about talent or whatever. Hard (and smart) work is way more important.
JWK5
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:25 AM »

On one hand, you definitely could use more study into anatomy, colors, etc. I think you know that as well as any here, and it is not a bad thing because no matter how good you or anyone else gets at art you should always still push to learn more, improve, and grow (both as a person and as an artist).

On the other hand, don't let your current talents (or any criticisms thereof) stop you. Keep rolling with it, learn as you go. Yes, your art has some incorrect perspectives and anatomy and distortions but all of that put together can look pretty interesting and it can be honed and refined into a style all its own.

My suggestion is rather than focusing on posting individual assets and asking for criticism post whole scenes, characters doing things and interacting in an environment, so that you are showing everyone how it all comes together. Individually it might look odd to some, but maybe not when presented as a whole.

In any case, good luck and keep working at it. Don't be afraid of the need to improve, but don't be afraid to try with what skills you currently have either. Maybe you're on to something nobody sees yet, you never know.
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 02:53:36 PM »

Thank you everyone for your comment. I know it's rare to have some feedback, too much things are posting on Internet and especially here.

No I don't search some gentle words but some precise critics. That's why I can say, right now, thank you ! The first messages unfinished and useless. Say to someone who ask for a feedback : you have no talent, you draw like shit is stupid, vague and useless.

Thank you Spooky for your long post really interesting. I have finally some remarks which will be usefull for me. Thank you Bakussa for your last post with, finally too, a real remark (and not an insult). I still stink you act like a jerk and there is a gentle way to criticize someone. It's better to say "Your art is not very good because" rather than "it's shit". I'm not here to be insulted but to have intelligent remarks to progress. An insult doesn't help to progress. I'm a man, not a machine so think about that before posting your shit.

Thank you Flute and JWK5.

Thanks to the usefull remarks, I'll continue to work on my art by focusing my attention on what you said.

Again, thank you. I hope I could post here my future assets to have your feedback again.

Perspective wise, the shadows ,the folds, it's off.  but ok maybe,it's an artistic design choice but then it lacks the decision of whether you're going realistic or cartoon, in the end it has no style at all and it just looks mediocre.

I looked at almost all your work searchable in google. I saw nothing that looked professional.
I'm an artist because I made several posters, banners and illustrations for associations and small companies
you must be so proud to be an "artist". good for you. I released a few soundtracks and even sold some, am i a musician?

You should check out the Art section, you can find real artists there. And some of them are really skillful and yet they don't even call themselves artists, because they are humble.

I read this on another website:
“La démo qui sortira en novembre sera un gros tournant du développement. J'angoisse car ça fait quand même un peu plus de 6 mois qu'on bosse dessus et d'avoir aussi peu de retours me fait douter du jeu même. On verra avec la démo. Encore merci. ”

Yes it's hard to make a game and it's scary. But the way i'm talking to you is less harsh than what you're going to face once you'll be putting your demo outside to the world. You gotta do something before going on further.

JWK5
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »

Honestly, after browsing some of your work the pieces where it looks more contextual and more cohesive (such as the following) are actually pretty interesting.

The distorted nature of your art actually works well for it because it gives it almost an "anxious" feel to it, as if you are looking out from the perspective of someone coming unhinged.

Try posting more like that one, where we can kind of see the bigger picture you've got going on. Should you post more of your stuff I will help you out a bit with the color balancing and whatnot as I get the chance.
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »

Thank you.

Here the final version, for the moment, of the scene of the bedroom :

I chose a grey/brown for the skin to create an atmosphere of strangeness. Everything is lived by a young boy, terrified by his parents and the world around him.

What do you think of this version ? Of the colors ?

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 03:00:23 AM »

Try to also team up with someone who draws stuff like you
Together you could improve your skills and become way better

A rival is always useful in your case

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »

Bakkusa, you're too much in love with the school of hard knocks. Try being nice.

It's ok to say that someone has miles to go in art, but that's a harsh message in and of itself, if you sprinkle it with some extra harsh shit then that's just a demotivational bomb.

I can't imagine you wrote the stuff you wrote the way you did it to not start a confrontation. Like, did you expect him to say 'thank you, what a wake up call' or were you excited to have a little forum internet fight? Because what you wrote is the textbook example of how you get someone to not listen to you and instead become defensive and confrontational.

Thankfully some other peeps have come in here to actually clarify what kind of ways one can take to improve.

Work on your people skills.
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »

Thank you Jad and Airman.

I agree at 100% with you Jad. I'm humble and ok to hear negative comments but not to be insulted by someone.

Yes Airman, it could be a good idea to work with someone.

I'll see different visuals near what I like, study that and draw every day some academic things to improve my knowledge.

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »

That whole scene has a cohesive strangeness that works for it, as noted by JWK5. I think with the newer example, I like the structure of the new background more but miss the old thicker lines that tied it together with the people a little better.

As for the skin-tones, right now they don't look 'strange'. Maybe try something closer to green or purple or something? A blue-grey?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »

I don't recall insulting you and never said
you draw like shit
in my first comment beside saying that you draw like a 10 years old
but hey
You can't see by yourself that it's completely wrong to put this on a porfolio , how do you dare call yourself an artist ?

@Jad  He said himself that maybe he wasn't good enough and lacks talent.
      I was nice enough, look he's got some attention now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic