Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:41:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSkelattack (NOW ON GREENLIGHT)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Skelattack (NOW ON GREENLIGHT)  (Read 8739 times)
David Stanley
Level 0

I make animations and games for human consumption.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2016, 09:15:36 AM »

Man, your animations are so sweet! I love the look of the characters.. you're right, very similar to 90's cartoons :D

Tanis, thank you!  Animation was something I fell in love with from a young age(thanks mom & dad for the Disney films!); sadly I didn't seriously learn the ropes of creating it until I was in my 20s.  And as much as I love paying tribute to the cartoons of my childhood, this style just feels really good for me. Compared to if I were attempting an anime style...So yeah, hopefully this is something that pays off for me, and makes new players feel at home even if they've never set foot in the Skelattack world before Smiley

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »

Skelattack Mechanic: Variable Damage

I'm using a very simple idea here that will make the enemy encounters more organic, with less of a predetermined feeling.  Originally I gave my Knight enemy 3 HP, and 3 swipes from your sword would kill him, every time.  This got boring and predictable quickly.

These days, I'm using a random number generator to determine the damage amount, which is now subtracted from 100 HP.  I'm controlling this virtual dice-roll so that you never have to worry about rolling for 0 damage.  If you are in range, you'll deal damage. For this particular enemy, we are randomly generating a number within the range (15,25).  Depending on the outcome, it will take 4 or more hits to kill the Knight.  I don't want the player to assume everything's going to take 3 hits...that kind of assumption lets them feel safe, in a world where safety is never guaranteed.

I'm not sure if this next bit will stay in the game, but I also wrote some quick code to show the amount of damage you deal on each hit.  It gives a touch of RPG feel, but I'm not pushing into that territory too much.

The nice thing about the system I wrote is that I can introduce sword upgrades in the future that will increase the range of your random damage rolls.  (15,25) becomes (25, 35) and so on.

Imagine, I could even have a rare upgrade that is kind of a risky gamble....rolling for damage in the range (5,100).  Do you dare use it and pray for a critical hit?  Fun stuff to think about, and hopefully players will have fun trying different approaches.

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 08:26:29 AM »

Tile Randomization

To make my world easier to build, many props have a number of extra frames within them as variations.  The bricks on which you run have different cracks that will be displayed when you are in the room.  I wrote some simple code to randomly choose one of these frames upon creation.  Now I can focus more on building, and leave some finer details to the programming. 

Here's a look at my mushroom randomization gone wrong! Epileptic It was my most entertaining glitch yet.  No worries, I fixed it quickly.  You can also see my terrain randomization with the cracks in the floor.

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 02:54:54 PM »

Skelattack Mechanic: Critical Hits

After improving my damage-dealing with random number generation, I thought about taking it one step further and having random hits be critical.  Nothing new in games, but I’m really happy that I got it working without leaving the GM:S interface to hunt for answers.

Right now there’s a 1 in 7 chance of landing a critical hit. Otherwise, it just deals normal damage.  Later, I’ll be able to introduce upgrades that will alter your Critical chance to 20%, 25%, 50%, etc.  For comparison, the usual damage rolls between 15-25.  A critical hit is worth 50. These upgrades likely won’t be easy to find.  Certainly another reason to explore whenever you can.

The coding is solid, but the visuals for the critical hit are a work in progress.

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2016, 06:15:59 AM »

There's still much to be done, but I'm in the process of gathering signups for my demo release!  I will only use your info for the purpose of sending the demo or updates to the demo.  I'm really interested in making this the best game that I can, so drop me a line!

Signing up is quick and easy. Join the skeleton crew right here.

-David

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2016, 08:15:36 AM »

Death animations usually are done last, but each one will be unique to the enemy. This animation is for a Fire Mage!

I'm still working on my checklist for the Skelattack demo, sign up to play it right here.

-David

Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »

Please give your skeleton a dark souls spinning skeleton attack:

Sincerely,
Ian

CRIMSON KEEP - First Person Action Roguelite
David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2016, 11:04:34 AM »

Please give your skeleton a dark souls spinning skeleton attack:

Sincerely,
Ian

Haha, that's a tasty suggestion, Ian. I have been wanting to add another attack animation to switch things up a bit  Cheesy

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 12:07:37 PM »

This is something I'm really proud of for its quirkiness: your bat companion will actually cast all magic spells for you. The game plays exactly as you'd expect, but this was an interesting way to mix things up Smiley It also leaves Skeleton guy to do what he does best: runnin' and choppin'.

I'm still working on my checklist for the Skelattack demo, sign up to play it right here. The demo will be for PC/Mac, and your email will be used for demo releases only!

-David

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2016, 02:51:08 AM »

I love the look of the skeleton and the the atmosphere! Signed up for demo.

Twitter: @pbergmar
Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2016, 02:59:07 AM »

Signed up aswell! Looks great Smiley
and the spin attack lol

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2016, 06:01:31 AM »

I love the look of the skeleton and the the atmosphere! Signed up for demo.
Signed up aswell! Looks great Smiley
and the spin attack lol

Hey, thanks so much! I'm having a blast seeing the game get to this point after many months of work.  Keep an eye on your inboxes! Over the next few weeks I'm gonna push this demo out :D

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2016, 06:06:10 AM »

Hey, thanks so much! I'm having a blast seeing the game get to this point after many months of work.  Keep an eye on your inboxes! Over the next few weeks I'm gonna push this demo out :D

I feel ya Tongue btw probably alot of gameplay polishing is incoming, if this is your first public playtesting session Tongue

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2016, 06:11:23 AM »

I feel ya Tongue btw probably alot of gameplay polishing is incoming, if this is your first public playtesting session Tongue

No doubt! I'm trying to break as much of the game as I can, so that you guys don't have to email me about it...but even then I know that the community will always find things I never even thought about lol.  It will be stressful but I look forward to working with you guys to make this demo a strong foundation for the full game  Beer!

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2016, 07:00:30 AM »

No doubt! I'm trying to break as much of the game as I can, so that you guys don't have to email me about it...but even then I know that the community will always find things I never even thought about lol.  It will be stressful but I look forward to working with you guys to make this demo a strong foundation for the full game  Beer!

Sounds like a good plan!  Beer!  And yea sometimes we have to make strong sacrifices for a strong game  Ninja

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »

Sounds like a good plan!  Beer!  And yea sometimes we have to make strong sacrifices for a strong game  Ninja

That's something important to keep in mind. Thanks!

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »

Background in Progress: The Blacksmith's Shop

I haven't focused on backgrounds for this game in a while...it feels great to hop back into it with a piece like this!  I wanted this room to feel much different than the rest of the dungeon we've encountered thus far.  There is a warmth here, a feeling of safety too. This isn't just for looks either: the blacksmith has the capability to improve your sword's attack strength if you have the money.  This will increase the damage you do during Critical Hits.

How about signing up to play the upcoming demo? Follow the link in my signature and I'll send you the goods when they are ready. Mac/PC users are welcome.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:56:56 PM by David Stanley » Logged

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2016, 02:47:24 PM »

Nice background! I would brighten the light from the hearth more at the source.

Twitter: @pbergmar
David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2016, 02:52:57 PM »

Nice background! I would brighten the light from the hearth more at the source.

Can't believe I didn't notice that...thanks! I'm going to add some weapons hanging on the wall and I'll brighten up the hearth and really make it a focal point :D

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »

Hey everyone!  Things have progressed in a great way, and I'm getting some attention on Skelattack. I have a few podcast interviews lined up, and the demo will be available near the end of this month!

One upcoming interview is interesting in that he wants to leave some questions up to the community. He will be playing the Skelattack demo while interviewing me. If you've been following this development and would like to submit a question, do it here! http://goo.gl/CUF751

Thanks for the support so far!  Gentleman

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic