Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:04:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShot One : Fast paced intergalactic sports combat!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Shot One : Fast paced intergalactic sports combat!  (Read 9674 times)
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »

New logo! 9/28

Brand Spankin' New Official Twitter!  Gentleman
https://twitter.com/ShotOne_

Game
An addictive throwback cybersport title harkening to the golden age of arcades and an era where studios like Capcom and SNK where forces to be reckoned with. Shot One is a one on one arena based sports combat title set in an intergalactic arena, especially inspired by the classic arcade title Windjammers.

Features
  • Addictive arcade gameplay with a learning curve!
  • A fully featured single player with the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance!
  • Online matchmaking and ranking system!
  • Colorful art style and world with a ton of love poured into it!
  • Amazing super and ultimate moves!

Current Team
Sirio (Oroboros): Concept art, art direction, game design
http://sirio.slidingboxes.com/
https://twitter.com/Puffinfluff

Phil Blank: Programmer, game design
https://twitter.com/philblankgames

Andrew Helenek: Animator, technical artist, game design
http://andrewhelenek.com/
https://twitter.com/andrew_helenek

Tyson Haeh: Animator
https://twitter.com/blinkx10

Cristian Gallego: Modeler
https://twitter.com/CG_lego

Ryan Rude: Modeler

Craig Barnes: Sound Engineer/Composer
https://twitter.com/cbstegeman?lang=en

Arcien: Composer
https://soundcloud.com/arcien/tracks

Platforms
TBD

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:20:49 AM by Oroboros » Logged

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 04:04:58 PM »

Reserved.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 04:14:05 AM »

is this windjammers y/n
Gorogorosama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 08:58:41 AM »

Looks fun. Reminds me of

, though I guess that's more of a personal problem Tongue

Did you really do the concept art for Torchlight? That's like my favorite game.
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:45:06 AM »

is this windjammers y/n

Closest thing you'll ever get to a sequel.

Looks fun. Reminds me of

, though I guess that's more of a personal problem Tongue

Did you really do the concept art for Torchlight? That's like my favorite game.

Yep! Years ago. Got my start doing concept art for the Defense Grid games and then moved on to Torchlight 1 & 2 before doing big studio stuff. Now it's back to the roots finally. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:09:17 AM by Oroboros » Logged

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 04:16:35 AM »

Are you sure? Wink

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 06:51:54 AM »

I've thought for a while that the first team to make a good Wind Jammers followup with decent netplay is going to make some money. I hope it's you guys. Can I be your community manager some day? lol.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 04:56:12 AM »

Monday morning update, sketch of Kyu. Part of a hyper intelligent cat race, she's looking to participate in the Shot One tournament to test out the potential of her Mobility suit 'Paw' Mark IV.

In regards to the design this one might be revisited. Did a few sketches but we were wondering whether to make the control panel on the upper part of the body more exposed for animation purposes and read from an isometric angle. Either way this one has a ton of fun animation potential.

Are you sure? Wink

Oh I'm sure. We're evolving the gameplay, plan on having netcode and will actually make it accessible and appealing to a broader audience. That was just a cheap remake with crappy graphics. Didn't hold a candle to the original as far as I'm concerned.

I've thought for a while that the first team to make a good Wind Jammers followup with decent netplay is going to make some money. I hope it's you guys. Can I be your community manager some day? lol.

Anything's possible. But stuff like community management is farrr down the road. Keep this thread bookmarked and maybe we can talk when we get to that point. And agreed, a follow up of some sort is long overdue.

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 03:55:46 PM »

Vlad Volt

Concept for Vlad Volt, who we're thinking is going to be Shot One's own version of Ryu-The titular protagonist. A well balanced mix of agility and strength with a medium build, Vlad is part of Team Volt alongside his partner Volley Volt. His special attacks will also incorporate electric elements.

Earlier sketch

As of now we're talking about three core stats:

Strength (Which affects throw speed and knockback)
Agility (General movement speed)
Dash (Dash distance dependent on str+agi stats)

We've also been discussing a parry style system like Street Fighter III to execute special attacks. As of now the main discussion seems to be focused around whether a single parry will enable a player to execute a special throw, or if we'll start up a bar charging system that will be fueled by successful parries. This will have to be explored in the proto stage.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:49:38 PM by Oroboros » Logged

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »

Seems like we'll be going with Unity after a bunch of internal discussion. Licensing fees were a big factor, despite Unreal having some really nice features. The Unity marketplace in itself was also way richer in content that could save us time and resources in regards to particle FX and other miscellaneous features. Unreal's store is still anemic compared to what Unity has to offer. 

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 12:18:35 AM »

Some lovely character designs! And Unity is a safe bet, the licensing fee difference between Unity and Unreal alone are a good enough reason (albeit a boring and practical one) to go that way, and it's a choice that's been working out for many people, myself included.

velvet
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 08:45:16 PM »

You know, you can actually already play windjammers online with great netcode using Fightcade, the skill level of some of the players on there is insanely high.

Also if this game is inspired by windjammers I'd recommend actually getting on Fightcade to witness some high level play of the game.

Also this

cysmix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »

Hey guys, I'm the sound dude! I'm 21, from Norway, and I'm real excited to be working on this title.
I thought I'd show you guys some very early music concept I've done, to kind of throw it out there for any feedback you guys may have. The sound is bound to change a lot over the course of the development, so this is just playing around with the sound.

This is something I mocked up to get a feel of what'd fit the characther of Enigma.
https://clyp.it/1cbwdppb
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »

Paintover of original texture iteration.

Full spread.

Current version we're going with.

Secondary update alongside cYsmix! We've been moving towards getting ready for prototyping. We just spent the last few weeks working on the initial model of Vlad Volt with the help of Mafubash (A 3d modeler we've been collaborating with). Just wanted to share a few iterations of feedback that lead us to the final model, mainly texture tweaks. The biggest struggle was getting a model to read good in ISO as well as other angles, seeing that we're planning to experiment with some camera work similar to Street Fighter IV&V during special attacks and victory poses, etc.

Now that we have it we'll be getting some test anims up and running, graybox an arena and be testing lighting and shaders. We're still on the search for a programmer to help us prototype and work on this title, so if you're interested please drop me a DM.

Some lovely character designs! And Unity is a safe bet, the licensing fee difference between Unity and Unreal alone are a good enough reason (albeit a boring and practical one) to go that way, and it's a choice that's been working out for many people, myself included.

Thank you. Yep, we did a lot more research and while the licensing aspects are a little negligible at this point- Unity's Marketplace alone wins out the race. (As well as support for Physical Based Rendering)

You know, you can actually already play windjammers online with great netcode using Fightcade, the skill level of some of the players on there is insanely high. Also if this game is inspired by windjammers I'd recommend actually getting on Fightcade to witness some high level play of the game.
Also this

No worries, we've had everyone message us regarding Fightcade. It's a not a terribly accessible platform but we've been playing Windjammers for a long time and are aware of the high level play.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:46:57 AM by Oroboros » Logged

cysmix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 02:50:32 PM »

Hey there!
Just here to let you know real exciting stuff is happening, and I thought it deserved a small update!

We're hard at work. Here's a few screengrabs of the Vlad Volt model in action. Just testing the facial rig, body soon to be finished!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:42:14 PM by cysmix » Logged
dreadofmondays
Level 0

minty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »

Hello everyone!

I'm Minty/dom and I'm going to be doing the gameplay programming on this project. Some exciting things have been happening recently, and we've been prototyping a first draft of the game, to get a feel for how it plays and to see where we can make changes for the better. This first draft doesn't have art assets, but we've been having a lot of fun playing it just by itself, so that's a promising start!

Here are some little screens we grabbed while checking it out:

We built this prototype to emulate a lot of the original rules of WJ, and from this point we can start to make changes and build on that game. We're actually going to be approaching it from the perspective of a fighting game for much of the design.

This upcoming week we'll be setting up a VCS and start building out some more of the game's fundamentals. Soon: discussion on characters and abilities!

私愛
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 09:55:03 PM »

Volley

1/29 Update:

Just wrapped up the concept for Volley, the sidekick of Vlad within the Shot One universe. We've been discussing some ideas regarding 'super' shots a la Street Fighter, which explains some of the additional detail regarding the thruster slots.

Modeler will get going on her next.

We're also currently adjusting the camera angles on the gameplay gray box so it's not top down and fleshing them out a little. Also some experimentation with lighting in Unity, GI/Bloom, etc. as we figure out the environmental art style. Next step will be getting characters into the game and animation systems up and running in Unity. Treating the arena as a module that we'll be able to drop into a variety of different environments.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:12:50 PM by Oroboros » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 01:23:10 AM »

Cool, there are not enough "alternative sports" games like this - it's all platformer, roguelite, shooter or minecraft clone out there.
Andrew_Helenek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 06:41:31 PM »

Guess its time for me to chime in, finally wrapped up v1.0 of the Vlad Volt rig. I wanted to make sure I was able to capture the amount of personality in each of these characters. Ultimately I ended with 129 bones in the export skeleton.

I'm still playing around with the idea to create a few more controllers and cleanup any skinning issues, but other then that I'm ready to dive into animating this guy. Stay tuned! Gomez
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:50:42 PM by Andrew_Helenek » Logged
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 03:35:03 AM »

Wow! This is looking great! For a game with such small characters in game you are going to incredible lenghts to give them detail.

Personaly I thing you're insane. Personaly I also like you a lot and will keep my eyes peeled for this one. Great team, great concept, and lord is it looking good...

On STEAM »
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic