Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:11:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShot One : Fast paced intergalactic sports combat!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Shot One : Fast paced intergalactic sports combat!  (Read 9681 times)
cysmix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 05:13:11 AM »

Wow! This is looking great! For a game with such small characters in game you are going to incredible lenghts to give them detail.

Personaly I thing you're insane. Personaly I also like you a lot and will keep my eyes peeled for this one. Great team, great concept, and lord is it looking good...

Glad you like it! We're all really excited about this project, so I think that's to blame. Everyone's giving it their all, and it's looking really good so far. We're making steady progress! I personally think a game where everyone contributing is excited and passionate about what they do, will regardless make for a really good game. That's what we're set on! And yeah, the rig of Vlad Volt is looking pretty insane. We'd want that level of detail so alternate camera angles work. It should both feel and look responsive.
Andrew_Helenek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 12:38:38 PM »

Wow! This is looking great! For a game with such small characters in game you are going to incredible lengths to give them detail.

Personaly I thing you're insane. Personaly I also like you a lot and will keep my eyes peeled for this one. Great team, great concept, and lord is it looking good...

Well, while in game they will be small, there are other areas where we're going to be seen up close, whether that be street fighter type power moves, simple overlays, or the character select screen. These characters were designed with so much life that doing any less is an injustice. The main goal was to make something universal and seamless.

Another animation detail I'm currently looking into is animating and exporting data at 60 fps or higher rather then the standard 30. Killing Floor 2's animations were done at 200 FPS for the purpose of their slow motion system, and we're considering some slow down time during power moves. Ideally I'd like to see similar treatment so when that does happen the animations will remain super smooth with no 'shitty' interpolation. I just hope unity doesn't crush my dreams.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:49:10 PM by Andrew_Helenek » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 01:39:44 AM »

Are you planning zoomed in slow-mo replays?
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 08:58:06 AM »

Wow! This is looking great! For a game with such small characters in game you are going to incredible lengths to give them detail.

Well, while in game they will be small, there are other areas where we're going to be seen up close, whether that be street fighter type power moves, simple overlays, or the character select screen. These characters were designed with so much life that doing any less is an injustice. The main goal was to make something universal and seamless.

Another animation detail I'm currently looking into is animating and exporting data at 60 fps or higher rather then the standard 30. Killing Floor 2's animations were done at 200 FPS for the purpose of their slow motion system, and we're considering some slow down time during power moves. Ideally I'd like to see similar treatment so when that does happen the animations will remain super smooth with no 'shitty' interpolation. I just hope unity doesn't crush my dreams.

WOW! You made me even more interested! :D Excited about this!

On STEAM »
mafubash
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »

Hey Everyone!

I'm Mafubash and I'm the 3D artist on the team. Right now I am currently working on Volley.

Here are some pics on the progress of how the highpoly sculpt is coming along.

Some adjustments to the face, torso and shoes need to be made. Stay tuned for updates on the progress of Volley's model.

Freelance 3D Artist

Twitter    Portfolio   Unity Asset store
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 01:34:12 AM »

Are you planning zoomed in slow-mo replays?

We're experimenting with a few ideas that will bring close ups to the characters during various parts of the game. The current idea is keeping the camera locked but using close up animated overlays during special sequences (Power moves, character intros/outros) so we can keep the camera locked on the gameplay while simultaneously giving some life to each character. Too much movement would probably get disorienting.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 03:07:44 AM »

Power moves

Kinda like the character overlays during the hyper combos in Marvel vs. Capcom?
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 04:41:21 AM »

Power moves

Kinda like the character overlays during the hyper combos in Marvel vs. Capcom?

Yep. Pretty much. Either we could do it like MVC1, but replacing the static portraits with animated ones and an extended duration...

Or take an approach like MVC3-Which used graphic backgrounds to cover up 'no show' areas of the environment. Pretty clever workaround I didn't notice till now.

Seeing that we won't have as much manpower to flesh out full environments (It doesn't make sense to do so considering the gameplay), we'll be prototyping a few options soon when we get to that aspect. Working on a budget definitely presents a few avenues to get creative, we've been putting a bit of thought into it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:46:32 AM by Oroboros » Logged

Jimo
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 10:40:30 PM »

I'm Jimo (James). I'm working on a lot of the website/promotion stuff for Shot One as things progress with the project. In this update we have a web domain for the game now with a coming soon splash page: http://www.shotonegame.com

Lots of cool things are in the works for the full site which I'm looking forward to sharing.  Toast Left
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:39:21 AM by Jimo » Logged

Andrew_Helenek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »

My boys, it's been a while, finally got around to wrapping up work on the second character for the game, now it's time to dig into the meat. More to come on the animation systems!

While I haven't gotten a final bone count, it's very close to Volts at 130 bones, slightly over because the arm controls.

After the vlad facial rig I went back and cleaned up my process, this new version, while on the surface looks similar to vlads, is much more streamlined.

I also love IK Mechanical arms more then any other type of arm. It's a nerd thing.

Cheers! Thank you!  Beer!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:43:39 AM by Andrew_Helenek » Logged
dreadofmondays
Level 0

minty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 07:38:09 PM »

Hey everyone! We were silent for a couple of months as some Real Life events slowed us down. But we're now back to the grindstone Smiley

Update 5
The project now has some additional team members working on it; we have a concept artist (Will) who's been helping us with arena design and an environment artist (Rude) to bring those concepts to life in engine.

We can show off an arena concept that Will has been working on lately...

While Rude has been building out our first real arena, the Training Area:

More arenas will come online over time as we go.

Last time I promised discussion about characters and abilities. We can show off the next character that Andrew has been working on: Kyu!

big version: http://i.imgur.com/KVcJrJI.png
An early sketch of Kyu was shown at the beginning of the thread, but now she's been fleshed out and made real.
Kyu is a royal member of a hyper-intelligent cat race and gets around the arena with the help of her mech suit.

The rigging of Kyu's model is just finishing up and soon we'll be able to move into animation. We now have three characters modelled and rigged: Vlad, Kyu, and Volley (although Vlad needs a check-up). Since Volley's rig is the most refined at the moment, we're going to use Volley for all our animation testing in the arena. Once we know exactly what's necessary and how it works, we can animate the rest of the cast.
Kyu-based lighting tests:

As for abilities, we've been doing some further thinking.
In original WJ, you use your power move by pressing the throw button at a specific time while being under a popped disc. This isn't necessarily wrong, but we wanted to see if we could deepen the moveset and make the controls less obscure.
As I said previously, we're approaching much of the design from the perspective of a fighting game. So our current plan for abilities is this:

Each character will have a signature move and an ultimate move, accessed through a power meter. There will be a passive growth on the bar, but it will also build with skilled play. The strength of the passive increases as the game goes on longer, so the goal is that matches start out with skilled technical play to build meter, and then start to see more and more special moves as play gets more intense.

Signature moves are unique to each character. They will probably look something like this:

Ultimate moves can only be used if the meter is completely filled. So if the player foregoes signature moves for a time, they can try one. Ultimates aren't directly offensive like signatures; we're going to try making them utility based too, giving effects like defensive buffs, extra movement skills etc for a period of time. The system might work or it might need further tweaking but we'll see how it goes.
Naturally the ultimate moves will feature fighter-style cutaways to show off our nice characters Hand Any KeyHand Joystick

Finally an update on the programming front. Lately I've been trying to build out some solid fundamentals to the project that we can rely on. Here are some gifs of the game's menu-in-progress:

As well as the menu I've been doing a lot of work on controls and input. I've decided to take input really seriously given that the game will likely need some pretty technical play. I was looking at cInput for a while for easy implementation but it just didn't have the features I wanted so I ended up building my own. (Unfortunately there are no gifs of this lmao)

I took a lot of inspiration from Elite's controls menu which is the most adaptable and accommodating rebind system I've seen so far. In ours, you can use a combination of up to 4 keys of any type, on any kind of action, with no restricted keys or duplications. This includes any kind of controller and control stick. You could play Shot One with a steering wheel if you wanted to.
The menu and controls sort of tie into each other so I've been working on them in parallel. But once controls are done I'll be moving to player profiles - my goal is a system roughly similar to Rocket League's, where players can drop in or out of the party at any time and can likely go online together. Smiley

Next update: Party system
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:55:45 PM by dreadofmondays » Logged

私愛
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 01:25:18 AM »

Art update:

I've been working on some arena concepts- This will be our first one centered around 'Terra.' We decided to concept a good chunk of the area out of the playable area due to discussions about wanting to change the camera angles, or do establishing shots on Arenas to give them more life.

It's a little overkill, but we want these arenas to have a lot of personality and feel alive. After a few passes I chose to desaturate the overall tones to allow the characters to pop off the bg.

Got a lot of animation progress going on as we move into prototyping animation pipelines. Seems like we're close to exiting preproduction, which is nice.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:32:30 AM by Oroboros » Logged

Andrew_Helenek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »

Whew, this guys had to go threw a massive revision but I'm finally going to call it good minus tweaks I find while animating. This boy is a big one considering it features three fully animated characters. The plan here is one cat will pilot the mechsuit while the other one will be stored away only to come in for assistance. The two will certainly play off one another in action.

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 10:15:08 PM »

Howdy! Been a while since we last posted in here. Had a team shakeup happen earlier this year so we had to reform with some new members. Thankfully the game is still on track so it's time to resurrect this goodness as we proceed.  Coffee

Putting together a team and keeping it together can be quite a struggle but we've persisted. The dream is real! Never give up.

As for updates- I'd like to share one of the first concepts done with a new collaborator, Alexander Pushai! He's  been helping us revamp some environment concepts and reset the style. The first one is Vlad Volt's beach stage called Emerald Coast. The goal was to give the arena a lot of personality and we're planning to have camera fly ins and zoom outs during action to show it all off.

Drew a lot of inspiration from games like the recent Donkey Kong Country games and other Nintendo titles that inspired us.

We did a ton of iterations to get to this point and we've started modeling it in 3D via graybox and testing it with the new grid system for capturing movement and disc motion. Will share more on that soon! We had to rebuild everything from the ground up following a review of earlier code.

We've also just launched our brand new Twitter as our revamped team begins to move again on this game. https://twitter.com/ShotOne_

Many more updates coming very soon. We've been quite busy.

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »

It's been a while! After our project screeched to a halt after an unexpected coder departure, we had to stop and rebuild our team from scratch. But this time we have a team that is cohesive. Thanks to the arrival of Phil Blank, he's been able to keep our wheels rolling and our team has grown to a good 7-8 folks now. Only 3 of us are fulltime, but everyone's been pitching in.

Coffee

Feels good to be alive again. There might be a major timeskip in the devlog but we're happy to be alive and running fullspeed. Never give up!

To kick things off, a new taunt animation by Helenek featuring one of our mains (Volley) for every time she scores. Each character will have a quick animation, and end of match will have a really elaborate outro system we're still building.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:20:36 PM by Oroboros » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Oh, that sounds like there's been quite a bumpy ride. Good luck going forward! Coffee
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »

Oh, that sounds like there's been quite a bumpy ride. Good luck going forward! Coffee

Thanks job. Seems to be pretty normal to have some bumps in the road, but we've persisted. Kind of clarifies why so many Kickstarter projects have failed in my book, people come and go.

Some updates:

We've been cranking on some signature moves (Kind of like super moves)- We are grayboxing one for Volley called a Wall Rider. Considering it's a 1v1 game, the disc smashes into the top or bottom and rides it into the goal. High knockback, all that fun stuff.

Vertical slice arena is good for now, we have a mockup here of a shockwave system, it'll basically shake the arena on high impact moves and dramatic finishes. Just need to get it hooked up to engine and get the events set up.

Our new animator friend Jen is working on character select stuff. This is her first pass to get the personality down for Volley. We're having fun with it, also planning on having post match outros to show the characters off.

Quite busy, but all wheels are turning.
 Gentleman

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »

This week we're cranking on our Hype system, which is basically ultimate moves. Currently implementing all the variables for it to get it up and running. We had a few discussions as to how the moves would work, and have one nailed down for vertical slice called Bunker Buster. A high impact, high knockback shot.

Did an animated mockup so I could sell the idea to the team. Once you activate it you'll have 1-2 seconds to aim it with a reticle before it fires off. Allows the other player to have some expectation as to where it'll land.

Bunker Buster

Hopefully we'll have it running in engine soon.

Also doing some UI work on our outro system, which is inspired by Overwatch. In the Unity scene we basically have a dome where these animations happen after the end match event is triggered. It switches camera and loads in the appropriate character. We still have some lighting to do on that front and get some polished animations and UI integrated.

I made this colorful UI in 4k, but we have some minor concerns about it fitting in with the rest of the UI aesthetic, which is a little darker. I think it's worth testing. Onwards.

Coffee

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »

We're still focused on our hype system build, team has been working on Volley's hype move which is a crazy knockback shot. Coder was getting the hype system integrated along with the variables we need. Animator is building the states required.

These are the states required- Catch upon activation:

Entering aim state:

Firing:

There's one state missing, which is charging-listed in the previous post. We just wanted to get our coder some pieces to work with.

While the shot is charging up, there will be a targeting arrow that will move up and down until player input. It'll be a small window but it will give the opposing player a chance to try and predict it's trajectory. I think the knockback will drag most players into their goal and cause an autogoal condition! I created the 2D assets last night for that.

As of now we have the most basic functionality down in game, just need to integrate all the animation states and do a VFX pass. Getting there ahead of schedule, we were aiming to have this system done by the 15th and it seems like it will be quite doable.
I leave you guys with the best commit we had in a while, regarding an input bug last night. Things got delirious to say the least.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:46:49 AM by Oroboros » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic