Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:53:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Deep Dark
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: The Deep Dark  (Read 10189 times)
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 08:57:02 AM »

You have an android play tester riiiggghhht here.

kevin andersson
Level 1

Producer/ Designer by day and Programmer by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2016, 03:05:25 PM »

I think this game will be perfectly on a phone/tablet. I read the post mortem of your house and I must say that it looks very nice, interesting situation where you live in such a small space.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »

Love the look! Even the placeholder art draws me in Smiley.

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 02:06:29 PM »

Tuesday

- I switched the game to landscape on mobile and it's feeling very cinematic. It's also nice to have one ratio across all platforms.
- With some trial and error the game is running fairly well on the Samsung Galaxy S2 without signs of chugging.
- I've started streaming on Twitch, mostly when I'm designing or animating stuff. >> the workhouse <<

That is all, have a great day!!

*Throws hands in air* YES!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »

I like A. I don't know that theres a wrong answer to that poll though... This really just keeps looking better and better. Love it.

conormn
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »

I like A. I don't know that theres a wrong answer to that poll though... This really just keeps looking better and better. Love it.

I think you might be right. Option A animation lasts about a second right now. I may just end up cutting that in half and calling it a day.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:56:00 AM by Conor Mccann » Logged
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 01:20:50 PM »

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could let me know which option feels better when you can't move in a direction. I'm torn. Any help would be much appreciated!!

-> http://www.theworkhouse.co/poll/

I think A is the way to go. Feels more polished maybe?

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »

I dig the shorter version. If you can break off and go in any direction after you activate the animation, shouldn't you be able to do for example, all three in one corner within a second? Or do you wanna keep it limited to only one animating at a time?

conormn
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 04:57:53 PM »

I dig the shorter version. If you can break off and go in any direction after you activate the animation, shouldn't you be able to do for example, all three in one corner within a second? Or do you wanna keep it limited to only one animating at a time?

You bet, I'll add that. These animations will also be getting a better pass later on.
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 05:12:41 PM »

Ooh wow, this looks pretty! Following!

redwolfplayer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »

This game looks amazing! I'm excited to see it progress. Following!
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »

Oh man this looks amazing :D .. Do consider me for android testing ( I've got a galaxy nexus(low end) and One plus one(prolly high end) )

On a side note.. Why don't you give unity a try? You can use bone animation tools to animate the characters which will give you smooth 60fps on all mobile devices.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:28:02 AM by indie11 » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »

Looks good.  I like the minimalist style. Smiley

Adobe recommends 20fps when using Flash + AIR on mobile, but that's bonkers and 30fps honestly looks great. The pc/mac desktop build should be fine at 60fps though.
Has that recommendation been recently or years ago?  Mobile devices has gotten faster plus your game doesn't seem that processing intensive - i.e. no 3d gfx or physics and only parts of the screen seem to change.

I still have a few games that I'll finish with Flash and then will go with Unity.  Seems better for 3d games as well as porting to PC and consoles.  I'm just wondering, what kind of option will you use for PC fullscreen with Flash?  Assuming you want to sell the game  (e.g. on Steam), then I'm assuming it wouldn't be just the flash projector .exe, right?  I read someone including his game in some kind of wrapper and that worked well on steam.  On the other hand, if you just sell the game as a download then the projector .exe should work.

The other question I wondered about is how vector graphics look on mobile devices.  I remember reading that the display quality setting (for anti-aliasing?) is limited.  Do you find that to be the case?  Is it a lot worse?

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 05:47:52 PM »

As far as I can tell Adobe still recommends 20fps on mobile, though I have the deep dark running a solid 60fps on an iPhone 5, iPad and Samsung Galaxy S2. Same with mac and pc builds. The PC build will be an exe, which AIR requires a PC to export the exe. I work on an iMac, so I purchased an HP stream ($190-ish) specifically for that purpose. The exe via AIR should work fine with steam if that happens. Steam just requires that flash runtime be included in the app, which AIR does. Linux isn't a possibility though.

Vector graphics wise it all looks very crisp across all devices. Though if you have too much going on the frame rate will drop quickly. That's one of the main reasons I have a minimal art style.

Anyways hope that helps and good luck with your games!!
Thank you for your reply.  Smiley   It's good to know for some games I should be able to use Flash.  As you mentioned, I'm also more familiar with it and it's a lot faster to create vector based animations then having to go with sprite sheets.  Probably, not a biggie if you set up a good work flow but for a single project it would just add extra time.  

Speaking of Flash, it's pretty much the end for it as Adobe is changing the name to "Animate".  I still use CS4.  I'll probably also need a more recent version for publishing to mobile devices but seems like there's a monthly pay option for Flash/Animate CC so it's worth a try.

Thanks for the good luck with with my games!  I hope to start posting a devlog here "soon-ish". Grin
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:01:37 PM by io3 creations » Logged

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 02:51:45 AM »

Wow!

Just found your game and needed to congratulate you for it. I love how simple you kept everything about it and how great that makes the game look.

Hope you can solve those little problems with each platform.

Beer!

conormn
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »

Hello friends!

For next few weeks I'm working on a freelance project that was too good to pass up, so the deep dark is on hold during that time. Though I was able to have a nice chat with Dan over at Skybox Podcast about the deep dark and tiny houses. It's a new short form game dev podcast with a very interesting NPR-ish format. Have a listen:

--> http://www.skyboxpodcast.com/episodes/27877-the-deep-dark-conor-mccann

conormn
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2016, 05:30:58 AM »

Ahoy!!

My freelance job is winding down and I'm heading back to the deep dark. For the next few weeks I'm going to be sketching up the remainder of the game as well as thinking up more traps and puzzles. I may post a few obscure drawings along the way like this one. Stay tuned...

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2016, 05:37:57 AM »

Ahoy right back at ya, this looks beautiful, only seeing it for the first time today. Welcome back I guess! Can't wait to see and hear more. Who is Love In A Void?

conormn
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2016, 05:48:22 AM »

Ahoy right back at ya, this looks beautiful, only seeing it for the first time today. Welcome back I guess! Can't wait to see and hear more. Who is Love In A Void?

Love In A Void is an old friends new solo project. When he get's a site or something up I'll post it here.
ElkiwyDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2016, 05:57:18 AM »

That looks very cool and clean, I love the minimal look and the shade of gray!

Follow me and Project_BuildTutto by clicking any of these links: Discord Server: https://discord.gg/mSCn4BUYouTube channel for Timelapses: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2l3kcw6wUn4Z1-cr5UMLMw
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic