Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411483 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:30:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGamedev Business & Process Blog
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gamedev Business & Process Blog  (Read 1210 times)
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »

Hey gang! I've been doing the indie-thing full time for a little over a year now, and I'm nearing the release of my first game. So I figured it was time to start sharing some of my thoughts on the process so far. Mostly I want to share things that aren't covered that often:
  • business
  • finance
  • legal
  • planning
  • architecture

If you are into that stuff, swing by and learn what I did right and wrong - so you can do better!

pjgame025
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »

This was a nice article. I really like the fact that you highlight the extraneous expenses that can occur, and that people often don't take into consideration. I am also really looking forward to your posts about legal and marketing experiences you've had.

@pjgames25
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »

Thanks for checking it out Jonathan! I'm looking forward to sharing more  Beer!

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »

Great length, smart topic, well written!

Please post another, I'll read more Smiley

Relating to the post, my girlfriend and I are cutting costs by doing something fun: travel! We're planning to wander to four different countries in Southeast Asia through the course of a year (we just started in Chiang Mai, Thailand). Beyond saving us a lot of cash, living in a different part of world has always been a dream of ours. We're very happy so far with the decision -- I'm working on the game during the day and we're exploring an entirely new culture together at night and on weekends. It may not work for everyone, but something to consider for indie devs who have the freedom and desire to do it.

EDIT: Dammit, my reply sounds like a bot just trying to get clicks. No, really, I read your post and genuinely like it. Being a fellow one man team, I've had to ask the same funding and scheduling questions, so it's interesting to see different answers to the same problem! AAA experience also helped me grasp some time buffering, though I've barely started on my own so I imagine I may fall into similar pits.

Just wanted to share my travel solution in case others hadn't thought of it -- seems it's a rare course to take, even though many solo-indies are young and have a lot of location freedom. Could broaden ideas and challenge designs in new ways (at least, that's what I'm hoping!).

Anyway, good luck with launching your game, Dewfreak83! I'll keep up on your posts Smiley
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:32:21 AM by TheWanderingBen » Logged

Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »

Thanks Ben! You have a very unique and interesting take on the indie life! There was a valve developer doing the same, but traveling in an RV with his wife within the states. Unfortunately some quick searches didn't bring it up... I should have bookmarked it when I came across it!

It would be so hard for me to travel and develop I think... I would just want to spend so much time taking in what the area has to offer! But thanks for the interest in my blog. I look forward to catching up on your entries as well!

Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:16:25 AM »

Just had a boy baby, so things have been a bit crazy this past week! Finally getting around to working on stuff, and first on the docket was a new blog article!

Building More Than a Game

In the last post we talked a bit about financing our dream. But what exactly is the dream? Is it just to make games? I hope not!

Your goal should be building your lifestyle business. That means there are a lot more things to think about than just catchy game mechanics or snazzy art styles. You need to build a culture, a brand, and ultimately: a following.

Continue Reading on Tumblr

Yarif
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 03:27:36 PM »

Thanks Dewfreak83, Your article is giving me hope  Smiley

We started recently an indie game company in a far country called Morocco, and on the meanwhile i'm going to engage soon. it was freaking me out because i have to be very careful on my spending, but i guess having a Baby is more difficult and challenging :D

I like the differentiation you made about Business lifestyle and Venture Firm, because it was confusing me when we started the company, and i really prefer the Business Lifestyle as you define it, i just want to create games with passion and love, while having a balanced life with my small family who at last, they are the one who provide you that energy to pursue your dream.

You just opened my eyes with this sentence : "be smart, make your family a priority" Grin

Cheers
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 07:57:47 AM »

Thanks for reading Yarif!

I'm very glad you are enjoying the blogs. Congratulations on starting your game company and getting engaged! My wife is exceptionally supportive, and without her this literally would not be possible.

Please do share any tips you have on starting and running your lifestyle game business Smiley

~ Rick

VampireSquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 05:50:27 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  There isn't that much on the specifics of actually running a business out there so always good to have another resource.   I will be following..

WanderingBen, Read your comment and have to say that what you are doing is bad ass.  I'm so jealous.  Best of luck.
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 09:37:33 AM »

A new blog posting is up!

Keeping it Legit
Once your game is released into the world, the only thing you have to worry about are the bug reports - right? Unfortunately, once you’ve started making money (or even losing money) you’ve entered into a whole new territory…
As if wearing the hat of the programmer, artist, writer, and designer wasn’t enough - you’ll need to make room for the accountant and lawyer hats as well.

Continue reading on the tumblr blog!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic