Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:15:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPostcard From Capri
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Postcard From Capri  (Read 10980 times)
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2015, 06:39:23 AM »

LATEST UPDATE:

Hey!

Postcard From Capri is a project that I´ll be working on for some months! It's an interactive shortstory (first-person narrative) in which my ambition is to create a tense, intriguing and immersive kind of experience. It's somewhat of an experiment where I will try to avoid traditional, wornout gameplay but still make it enjoyable through mood, characters, storyline etc.

Here's also some of my moodboards:
Style: http://s9.postimg.org/lb3c0cl73/moodbild2.png
City: http://s8.postimg.org/zeqkbneed/moodstad2.png
Art Deco: http://s2.postimg.org/qup0nkfw9/moodartdeco2.png
Characters: http://s2.postimg.org/r6jsm6jjt/moodkara2.png
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:17:42 AM by Islandh » Logged
Pseudavid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 05:21:02 AM »

Please post some updates here! Even if it's just pointing to what you publish somewhere else. This looks pretty different from the usual stuff, and I personally love the Belleville reference...  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

My interactive fiction is at pseudavid.itch.io

The Master of the Land, 6th in IFcomp 2018. It creates a seemingly dynamic world, gives the player complete agency within that world and then says ‘go
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 05:12:40 PM »

Glad you are interested Pseudavid!

Here are some pics of environment (wip):

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:23:19 AM by Islandh » Logged
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »

Wow man, those colors are vibrant and amazing.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »

Looks amazing, is it Unreal 4?

Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:20:48 AM »

Thx for the kind words Smiley! Yes it's being made in Unreal Engine 4. Worked in Unity before but wasnt very happy with it, and when Unreal became free (sort of), it was a pretty easy switch.
de11ed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »

Wow! Holy moly that looks good! And I love your moodboards (maybe because I have a weak knee for Art deco...) And the idea of instagram instead of this forum is actually something i find really nice as well. These forums can get so cluttered that it's hard to follow along in production.

composer • producer • songwriter • human
Website | Twitter | Soundcloud
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »

Thank you! Smiley The art deco elements will be implemented rather soon. I also like the instagram devlog as a concept, but few follow my account so I´m doing it mostly to document my progress.
brantkings
Level 0

I like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »

Looks crazy enough to hold my attention!

Love the looks of this game, and the colors. But I have to say I like doing devlogs around here but hey, I don't use instagram!

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »

Fantastic colour scheme -- loving the soft edges too. I'm also big fan of first-person narrative! Subscribed -- excited to see more Smiley

Good luck!

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »

I'm really into the vibe, I feel like it is Miyazaki's Spirited Away's Bathhouse on a Mediterranean island (here's an image if your city mood board isn't full enough). From the city board I can see this interest in a dense informal urbanism (ala Kowloon Walled City and the Favelas) with a Mediterranean vernacular; it is so simple and works so well, I'm super surprised I haven't seen it before, kudos!

I know there is a lot of talk about the saturation, but I honestly don't mind it, maybe it's because I grew up with those trapper keepers in the 90s.

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »

Man, it looks stunning! I hope it gonna be not just story, you know - like watching movie, but a game, please, tell me that it would be possible to discover the world.

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »

@Archgame
Thank you! The Spirited Away bathhouse on a mediterranean island is pretty spot on. I´m even inspired character-wise by the eclectic mix of creatures working in the bathhouse. The dense informal urbanism interest is also correct, even though the dense part has proven to cause more fps-problems than i first expected... The architecture and city mood of Havanna is also a big inspiration (my take on it is heavily simplified though).

@El-Metallico
Thank you! No, I´m sorry to say it's gonna be a movie... Jokes aside, you will be able to explore it all. Smiley
El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »

Thanks god Coffee Btw, do you have musician for this game?

Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »

Thanks god Coffee Btw, do you have musician for this game?

I've got some mails from interested composers, but it's too early for me to decide anything yet. I do have an idea for how I want the soundscape to be though. Realistic and ambient with melodies coming from street musicians, open windows, radios etc.
El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »

Sounds cool, this trick may work really for this setting! Well, keep in me in mind when you'll search for composer, portfolio link below Wink

Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »

Just followed you on Instagram :O

The lighting in this is breathtaking.  Probably the first thing that stands out to me!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »

Thank you amanfr01!   Smiley

I´ve been rather busy in these christmas times so I´ve not been able to work that much on Capri, but here are 2 new shots of the city and 1 of some random island:  Gentleman

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:15:06 PM by Islandh » Logged
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »

i am legitimately a street musician, actually. if you want some more authentic stuff, i can provide.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 03:21:22 PM »

You're very welcome!

The whole atmosphere is very soothing.  I'm soon to be getting married and going on my honeymoon, and I honestly wish this place existed in real life!

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Spirited Away by Studio Ghibli, but it almost reminds me of the towering bathhouse from that movie, albeit outdoors and in a tropical location.  Seemingly much friendlier, too, as the bathhouse in Spirited Away was quite a terrifying place. 

Either way, what I'm emphasizing is the effectiveness of having the town/city as a towering island, rather than a horizontally sprawling location.  I like the vertical quality of your location.  It's really quite beautiful!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic