Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:15:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPostcard From Capri
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Postcard From Capri  (Read 10981 times)
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »

Thank you M4uesviecr!

I´ve made some bigger changes in terms of building the city. The vertical approach I had before simply led to huge shadows, and the shadows looked really bad due to the high amount of indirect lighting. You can see more at my Instagram devlog (postcardfromcapri)! So, instead of the vertical approach I will now go for the more typical riviera-town-approach. Something like this, but a bit more eccentric: (http://www.ellisbridals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/hotel-a-capri.png).

At the moment, I´m designing some indoor environments and I´ve started animating some animals, crabs, birds etc. I´ve also started making the camera gameplay, which will play a central role gameplay-wise. More updates about that soon!

Till then, 2 screenshots:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:17:39 PM by Islandh » Logged
chairfucker
Level 0

ultimate power

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2016, 12:19:23 PM »

Those are some damn smexy colors you've got going on.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 04:48:45 AM »

the art is amazing

So long and thanks for all the pi
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »

Thanks guys!

For the ones that aren't into Instagram I´ve now got a few more channels:

Twitter: @IslandhBird
Tumblr: postcardfromcapri.tumblr.com

Not much to see yet, but please follow for future updates!

EDIT: Removed the tumblr-acc. The channels I have is enough for now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:02:31 AM by Islandh » Logged
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2016, 01:00:48 AM »

The colors are amazing. Shocked

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »

Like the color scheme so far.  Hopefully, the character will fit in nicely, too.

As for the water, based on the screenshots only I think those fit perfectly.  Not sure what that person meant by being flat, but the those blue and purple-ish colors match with the red/orange of the island and buildings perfectly.  In terms of wave height ... looks like it's a calm day, so there wouldn't be many wave action either.

Since you mentioned having a short story, maybe after this game is finished, you can reuse the assets in a few related stories.  Those could be different (i.e. focussed more on exploration than puzzle solving) but it's certainly an environment that could be explored ... just for the exploration.    Smiley  That way, some character stories could be expanded.  Just an idea.

About tumblr, many people already have "more than enough" accounts.  I've seen people on Kickstarter asking for updates on the Kickstarter project page instead of having to sign up for another account with tumblr/instragram/etc.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2016, 04:08:20 AM »

I think the water is A-Okay!  Looks absolutely beautiful and matches the color palette perfectly Smiley  I didn't see that someone had a slight issue with it, but I think the general consensus is that the water is very much in line with the rest of your environment  Smiley

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
louiscroquet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2016, 08:09:13 AM »

I like the idea to follow the development via Instagram, subscribed!

What I see for now is gorgeous, I'm in love with the colours.
I can't wait to see what's planned for the gameplay!
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »

I think the water is A-Okay!  Looks absolutely beautiful and matches the color palette perfectly Smiley  I didn't see that someone had a slight issue with it, but I think the general consensus is that the water is very much in line with the rest of your environment  Smiley

I was referring to this one:

The atmosphere and composition of the world you have created looks great, I love how you have taken the time to make it unique and add all the small details to make it interesting.

Question: Are you using the default UE4 water shader for the ocean or have you modified/made your own one? I just ask is its the only thing that looks a bit flat to me. Needs more dynamic to it.

Otherwise great work. Please keep this devblog updated, because I will be giving this a follow  Smiley

EDIT: I have just looked over all your instagram photos and seen that you did make your own water shader, and that it is the effect you wanted from it. My opinion is still there, in that it looks a bit flat, and doesnt really interact with the rocks or the island very much. You could look at flow maps to make it more unique, but again if its the way you like it, disregard what I just said here Tongue

Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 07:05:54 PM »

Like the color scheme so far.  Hopefully, the character will fit in nicely, too.

As for the water, based on the screenshots only I think those fit perfectly.  Not sure what that person meant by being flat, but the those blue and purple-ish colors match with the red/orange of the island and buildings perfectly.  In terms of wave height ... looks like it's a calm day, so there wouldn't be many wave action either.

Since you mentioned having a short story, maybe after this game is finished, you can reuse the assets in a few related stories.  Those could be different (i.e. focussed more on exploration than puzzle solving) but it's certainly an environment that could be explored ... just for the exploration.    Smiley  That way, some character stories could be expanded.  Just an idea.

About tumblr, many people already have "more than enough" accounts.  I've seen people on Kickstarter asking for updates on the Kickstarter project page instead of having to sign up for another account with tumblr/instragram/etc.

Thank you!

As for the water, the community built shader im basing it on, is very ambitious, and imo very good looking in motion at least. There are still some fixes left, water's edge to rocks, more distinct foam textures etc.

Even making a short story takes lots of time. And this story in particular is more conceptual than actual written, linear story. My feeling is that if I make a game soon after finishing this game, I would either make a new conceptual short story in the same universe, or, I would do something completely new to me, which probably would be refreshing.

Having tumblr would be for the ones not using Instagram or Twitter. It's simply different alternatives to access the same content.

EDIT: I removed the tumblr. I agree that my Instagram and this TIG-thread as well as me getting onto Twitter, is enough.  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:58:56 AM by Islandh » Logged
Tombo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2016, 04:36:59 AM »

That's a very inspiring location. It reminds me of a semi-vertical city I visited in Morocco called Moulay Idriss; it has all these serpentine, labyrinth-like streets and hidden squares. You would be walking up or down a very narrow, steep street and suddenly you'd find an opening with a great view of the city. Sadly my camera had perished to desert sand by that point and google's pictures don't do the place justice. Anyway, great looking game, looking forward to it!
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2016, 06:17:11 AM »

Thank you bl0rg!

Moulay Idriss looks very interesting and inspirational! I´m seeing some architectural elements that I will try to add into my city/town. Also, going from narrow streets into a great view is a contrast I´m working on to achieve as well.

On my Instagram devlog, I´m currently (as my 50th post) letting my devlog followers decide which one creature/animal I would let loose on Capri next. For those of you without Instagram, I post here as well. Just comment your animal/creature (or fusion of animals) here or send me a mail ([email protected]). Only requirement is that the creature is smaller than a medium sized cat...

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 10:08:10 AM »

some kind of octopus thing

So long and thanks for all the pi
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »

As for the water, the community built shader im basing it on, is very ambitious, and imo very good looking in motion at least. There are still some fixes left, water's edge to rocks, more distinct foam textures etc.

There's an article about the waves in Assassin's Creed 3. 
https://www.fxguide.com/featured/assassins-creed-iii-the-tech-behind-or-beneath-the-action/
It's an interesting read but oddly enough, based on the images you posted, I somehow like the lack of extra detail (e.g. foam) near the beach as that lack of detail just adds to the dreamy/fantasy quality to it.  Plus, maybe I just prefer that smooth transition between blue and orange/yellow rather than having extra white foam there.  The same way comic books and cartoons have fewer detail that gives them that different feel yet it still works.
Of course, a lot of things are very different as a static image and when things are moving.  So, I'd probably better wait see the scene in action before fully making up my mind.  However, I like it as a wallpaper or other static image. Smiley

Even making a short story takes lots of time. And this story in particular is more conceptual than actual written, linear story. My feeling is that if I make a game soon after finishing this game, I would either make a new conceptual short story in the same universe, or, I would do something completely new to me, which probably would be refreshing.
Yes, I know, it certainly can.  Grin  But if you already put so much effort into creating the world (i.e. 3d models), then it might be worthwile to reuse it (if possible) in various ways - especially if you intend the first story to be "short".  Plus, when I said exploration (just for the sake of exploration), I was referring to a similar experience I had after watching Cars (the Pixar animation), I wanted to explore that world further than what the animation allowed.  A game came out later that allowed me to do that.  While I was definitely older for the activities in the game than the the target audience, I still enjoyed revisiting the scenes from the movie and exploring beyond those.  It's kind of like a virtual mini vacation.  :D    It doesn't happen often, but when I saw your screenshots, I instantly had the same feeling that it would be nice to walk around the island.   So I hope that at least in some way I'll be able to do that.  Smiley

EDIT: I removed the tumblr. I agree that my Instagram and this TIG-thread as well as me getting onto Twitter, is enough.  Smiley
When it comes to the bigger picture (and more on the marketing side) the more places you post the more people will be able to discover and follow you and your project.  Especially, if people already have accounts somewhere and would prefer to follow you there rather than sign up for extra accounts.   The difference between tumblr and instagram may be not much since it seems like that those are aimed more for mobile device users except for some people who only have one account and not the other.

One more account I would suggest is YouTube.  I've discovered lots of games there and many people have discovered my games/movies there as well.  I'm not that familiar with tumblr or instagram in terms of uploading videos but you'll probably be showcasing your progress one way or another.  You can do various devlog type videos e.g. showing your recent progress or certain details that people may miss otherwise.

Then, it's a good idea to keep all accounts updated reasonably consistently - even if just a simple link e.g. to a YouTube video or image that you posted somewhere else.

About the next animal: I would personally like to know more about the story before making a suggestion.  Mainly, because of relavance.  Sure, you can add lots of different types of animals but if it doesn't fit the theme/setting or isn't relevant to the story then could end up being a waste.  For example, chameleon could work in some games but may be irrelevant in others.  Parrots can fit into lots of stories ~ even as non-native species.  Each of those could fit certain locations but even better if they are also relevant to the story in a key way.  Just my thoughts. Smiley

Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »

Really inspiring stuff! Who, Me? I might be late to the conversation but are you working with a team? How's that work?
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2016, 05:27:37 PM »

@io3 creations

Thanks for your post! I loved what you wrote about the Pixar-vacation. Even though I haven't thought about it in that way, it makes a lot of sense and I could see myself look for that kind experience.

One idea that I´ve thought about to incorporate into this project is to create the key area, where the key activities take place, but then also expand the area a lot with nature (which is fairly easy to make) serving no purpose other than creating the feeling of freedom, which most games fail at (by having invisible wall colliders etc where you are not supposed to go/explore). Just to be able to explore areas far from where the game/story elements obviously wants you to go. No hidden treasures or rewards. Just an added sense of freedom.

Instagram is great for videos. Or at least the kind of videos that I prefer for this devlog. Fast and easy. I could probably upload them to youtube as well, but since I make my videos by filming my screen, the colors and quality is very off, which I believe Instagram users are more accepting of, since they´ve also seen the good quality images I upload in that feed.

@Wacompen

Thx! No, I´m doing this project mainly by myself. I do have some talented friends though that supports me a lot with feedback (mostly visuals), and one friend is soon gonna help me out with some animations, logotype etc. I also have a mentor giving me tips of how to run a project like this, setting up goals etc.
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2016, 06:25:18 PM »

Cool, I'm a solo dev with a similar style you could say. I really like that low poly atmospheric feel. Where are you located?
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »

Nice! Im located in Sweden!
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »

Nice! Im located in Sweden!

Cool, so many good designers over there. I have to visit there some day Gentleman
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2016, 12:13:16 PM »

One idea that I´ve thought about to incorporate into this project is to create the key area, where the key activities take place, but then also expand the area a lot with nature (which is fairly easy to make) serving no purpose other than creating the feeling of freedom, which most games fail at (by having invisible wall colliders etc where you are not supposed to go/explore). Just to be able to explore areas far from where the game/story elements obviously wants you to go. No hidden treasures or rewards. Just an added sense of freedom.
In a way, I'd say that exploration is the reward.  Wink   You're right, often reward is tied to some form of achievement but that isn't always the case.  If you haven't seen it yet: The Reward 

But sometimes simply seeing or experiencing something new can be special and rewarding.  Much like finding a unique look-out or resting spot on a hiking path.  Finding something unique that others may not see or experience can make it more special too.  It may be just that exploratory sense of "what will I find?".  e.g. If I wanted to give this kind of experience for some, I would put a few unique animals in those areas that most may not visit.  To keep things simple, it may be enough to just use a different texture for a bird.  But for me being able to explore an environment that I like being in is enjoyable/rewarding. 

I know what you mean about not being able to explore certain areas.  Invisible colliders are probably the worst because you can see where you can't go but locked doors can be as notorious as a limitation.  Especially, when "in reality" you could easily break or kick them open.  :D

On the other hand, there can be  some situations where you do want to limit people.  There's an article about a fairly large scale game Vane where people tended to go in different direction than where the developer wanted them to go:  http://www.friendandfoegames.com/devlog-vane/2015/11/6/worldbuilding-design-lessons-part-1
That's where game testing with many people can be useful. Smiley

I wasn't sure about Instagram but sounds like it could reasonably work for videos.  Hopefully, later during the development either you or perhaps someone else can create better quality recordings so we can have a better experience of the world.

I just looked at your first post and my impression is that you're doing your project more as hobby (or perhaps school related) than a game that you're interested in marketing selling later.  If interested exploring marketing an indie game, there's a recent article at http://gamasutra.com/blogs/SergiuCraitoiu/20160119/263694/Marketing_ideas_for_your_indie_game.php  There are a few other (and perhaps better) links in the responses as well.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic