Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:26:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPostcard From Capri
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Postcard From Capri  (Read 11099 times)
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »

But sometimes simply seeing or experiencing something new can be special and rewarding.  Much like finding a unique look-out or resting spot on a hiking path.  Finding something unique that others may not see or experience can make it more special too.  It may be just that exploratory sense of "what will I find?".  e.g. If I wanted to give this kind of experience for some, I would put a few unique animals in those areas that most may not visit.  To keep things simple, it may be enough to just use a different texture for a bird.  But for me being able to explore an environment that I like being in is enjoyable/rewarding. 

Yes! I agree! One challenge when it comes to the exploration is for the player to not lose the red thread of the short story itself. If so, if the player gets all into exploration, the point of the plot will become much weaker. Which is bad! Since a lot of people that follows my devlog seem to want the exploration, I believe I will have to redesign some parts to have exploring as part of the story.

I wasn't sure about Instagram but sounds like it could reasonably work for videos.  Hopefully, later during the development either you or perhaps someone else can create better quality recordings so we can have a better experience of the world.

I´m not sure it's good to upload high quality videos. The game is rather short (40 min probably), and sometimes I feel the devlog might be too revealing. I will release a trailer though, but I think I prefer the devlog to be more of a tease.

I just looked at your first post and my impression is that you're doing your project more as hobby (or perhaps school related) than a game that you're interested in marketing selling later.  If interested exploring marketing an indie game, there's a recent article at http://gamasutra.com/blogs/SergiuCraitoiu/20160119/263694/Marketing_ideas_for_your_indie_game.php  There are a few other (and perhaps better) links in the responses as well.

It's my final project in school. I don't see it as a school project though. I´ve been wanting to do a more ambitious game project exploring interactive narratives for many years (I´ve been making smaller (secret) games for lots of years), so for me it's a more of a personal project and even though I´m going to sell it on Steam hopefully, my main goal is to simply create something to be proud of. I will market it, but not in a formal way. Thanks for the link!

PS: The Reward is great (I´ve seen it before)!
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »

I´m not sure it's good to upload high quality videos. The game is rather short (40 min probably), and sometimes I feel the devlog might be too revealing. I will release a trailer though, but I think I prefer the devlog to be more of a tease.
I agree that there are some situations where you wouldn't want to reveal too much but there are a few things to consider as there may be a few different types of audiances. 

For me a devlog is something where you show your game to (mainly) other developers and can include everything.  In fact, usually, the more details you include, the better.  This can give a good idea to other developers how you create your game.  From level to character designs, etc.  So, for videos, I was mainly thinking of showing your models, environment, etc during development and not just the final gameplay.

For people who are mainly interested in playing your game it's better to do something along the lines of what movies do:  show a main trailer (or a few) and some posters/screenshot that is usually enough to give people an idea if they want to play your game.  For those that are really interested in updates, a few few  behind the scenes or work in progress images can be shown to keep people excited.

So, it can be beneficial to tailor your communication to your specific audience.

It's my final project in school. I don't see it as a school project though. I´ve been wanting to do a more ambitious game project exploring interactive narratives for many years (I´ve been making smaller (secret) games for lots of years), so for me it's a more of a personal project and even though I´m going to sell it on Steam hopefully, my main goal is to simply create something to be proud of. I will market it, but not in a formal way.
Oooo!  Secret games!  Smiley

Since you mentioned your game is short, you'll probably have price it "right" as it seems like not all but many people seem to equate value with length of game.  The main reason I mention is that last year Steam introduced a new refund policy and sounds like one criteria is that player has played the game for less than two hours.  If the game has a reasonable price then that shouldn't be an issue but wanted to mention that.  If I remember correctly, I've read on the the Steam website, that they'll help you set the price so that shouldn't be an issue. 

Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »

Hey! Lately I´ve mainly been working on stuff that aren't very screenshot friendly (programming, animation etc), but here's a little pic to let you know that I havent forgot you dear Tigsourcers Smiley. I've also started planning a test build where people can walk around on a small island and use your in game camera to take photographs. In order to get some feedback on the atmosphere and feeling in the world.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:41:49 PM by Islandh » Logged
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »

I saw the coral development on the Instagram.

It's really nice to see it here in context under the water surrounding the island Smiley

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2016, 01:19:28 AM »

I've got some mails from interested composers, but it's too early for me to decide anything yet. I do have an idea for how I want the soundscape to be though. Realistic and ambient with melodies coming from street musicians, open windows, radios etc.

First thing that comes to mind when hearing this is Sunset (if you haven't listened, check out the OST). The main goal behind the soundtrack was for the music to play through "records" that the player put on that were in the house.

I had the pleasure of writing with Austin Wintory for that OST, really interesting approach to the OST on a whole, and def worth checking out for inspiration.

EDIT: Removed my previous post so it doesn't look all hyperspammy in here, really love the colour choices in this.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »

Hey! Lately I´ve mainly been working on stuff that aren't very screenshot friendly (programming, animation etc), but here's a little pic to let you know that I havent forgot you dear Tigsourcers Smiley.
Yes, I was beginning to wonder. Grin

I've also started planning a test build where people can walk around on a small island and use your in game camera to take photographs. In order to get some feedback on the atmosphere and feeling in the world.
That's a great idea!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »

I randomly remembered this project, and decided to look it up again to see what progress has been made.  What happened to it?

Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »

The project is still alive and progressing! I just stopped posting about it for various reasons. One of the main reasons was that I realised that the project was heading into a direction on a conceptual level that wasnt what I wanted. I needed to dig deep in order to find a solution, so devlogging kinda fell away (along with that I was mostly doing non-visual work at the time, which made Instagram-devlogging harder). Since early May I've managed to find a new direction that I truly believe in (big thanks to Thomas Grip (Amnesia)). Hopefully it will turn out well!

Here are two articles from Grip which helped me a lot with new perspectives as well as structuring my own ideas and thoughts:

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.se/2013/08/5-core-elements-of-interactive.html

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.se/2014/04/4-layers-narrative-design-approach.html?m=1

Will be back devlogging at some point! Smiley
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2016, 02:35:12 AM »

Welcome back! :D I've sure missed seeing your work on here. Keep it up; I'm sure your conceptualization went well, and I look forward to screenshots whenever they start up again Smiley

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Islandh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support! Smiley
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »

The project is still alive and progressing! I just stopped posting about it for various reasons.
Will be back devlogging at some point! Smiley
Good to hear!  I wondered if "forgot" to post ~ like before Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic