Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:21:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Gebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]  (Read 17057 times)
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »

Gebub's Adventure takes place in a large and mostly peaceful world. The game follows the travels of Gebub, a creature who came from something peculiar. In the like of Seiklus you can collect many various colored orbs, which are often hidden in secret places throughout the different worlds. There are many unique items and treasures waiting to be found, and these items will help you to explore further and uncover more of the world. The game also contains many different creatures... some will find you to be a nuisance, while others are in need of a helping hand.

Steam Store Page
Game Jolt Page
itch.io Page

---

a work-in-progress Demo is available Smiley
Dropbox Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52807953/gebub.zip
(make sure to extract before playing!)

---

I started the project on the 1st of this month... and progress has been quite good, I think. There are already 4 distinctively unique areas and I'm getting ready to expand the world with 2 more outreaching areas.

I will try to update as often as I make substantial progress.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:24:04 PM by orange08 » Logged

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 11:32:35 AM »

Man, there's something compelling about the art here. There's a really solid consistency to all of it that makes that sketch-like style stick. I like it.

Interested to hear more. Smiley
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »

Subbed.
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »

Thanks, guys!  Smiley I appreciate the comments.

Today I finished animating the octopus, and designing the area in which he/she is encountered.

I also programmed functionality for Bomb placement. These bombs are very scarce, and can only be used in certain places where they are needed.

old bomb explosion gif http://i.imgur.com/3WO6ikK.gif
Updated explosion
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:29:57 PM by orange08 » Logged

lobstersteve
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:45:18 PM »

Man, there's something compelling about the art here. There's a really solid consistency to all of it that makes that sketch-like style stick. I like it.
Yeah. It really is compelling. I guess one reason is because it gives you the "all self-made" feeling by being rough around the edges (and that's good so). You already know it is made by one person and is something personal / a love letter.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »

Really nice art style, I look forward to the demo.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:32:26 AM »

Yay cephalopods!

Looking at that bomb gif: will this be a one context-dependant action button type of game? That would make it very accessible for younger players.
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad you all like the art style.

Looking at that bomb gif: will this be a one context-dependant action button type of game? That would make it very accessible for younger players.
If I'm interpreting this question correctly, then my answer would be yes... In regard to the bombs/items you collect into your inventory, they can be used only in certain places, but for the bombs in particular there will be multiple separate locations where they will be needed(so you will have opportunity to choose for yourself which places you would like to use your bombs)

I'm doing my best to make the game non-linear, so you can explore pretty far in all directions without a huge amount of item requirements or hassle.

Today I expanded the grassy plains, into an area where it is very rainy. Here's a bit of what I'm working on in that area.

something doesn't seem quite right about the door sprite, I may work on the colors/design some more later

Kayzaks
Level 0

Blimp Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »

Very nice! I especially like the Art Style, very unique!
Do you intend to keep it?

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »

This looks really cool

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 01:43:48 AM »

Yes, you interpreted my question correctly  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

That's great, I think it's really fitting for the feeling I get from the gifs so far and your description of the type of game you want to make.
Suminsky
Level 0

mehhhh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 02:13:39 AM »

About the door, maybe putting it deeper on the tree, sorta like:
http://imgur.com/WhMHxfR

Maybe not..
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 03:25:08 PM »

@Kayzaks
Yes, I do intend to continue with the same art style.

@nt
Thanks!

@JobLeonard
Cool beans! I'm glad you like my design choices!

@Suminsky
Thanks for the attempt, I think I've found an idea that makes it look a little more like it's a door on a tree.(see cropped screenshot further below)

-Progress update-

I finished designing the interior of the squirrel home. I also made slight change in appearance to the tree door so it looks more adequately like a door to the tree.

A lot of sound/music implementations have been added. Music is programmed to fade out when going to a new area, then the new area's music begins to play.
Music volume is also lowered when game is paused.

Added rain sound FX, and lightning. A couple new items have been added into the game.

lightning:

The game's composer finally finished a track for the game's starting area, it's only 1 track but it's a good length (which is appropriate due to the large size of first area) and that's fair progress, I guess.
I'm not going to be able to have a demo ready as soon as I wanted to, because the music is not progressing too rapidly... however I might be able to use some placeholder music tracks to suffice for the demo... I'll look into that.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments! they are much appreciated! Smiley

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 09:16:47 AM »

I always liked the Seiklus-look. It was very simple but it had a charm and looked very unique, like it was just a big drawing and not even tile-based (maybe it was Tongue). I like traditional sprite art just fine but sometimes it's refreshing to see something with a different esthetic. May I presume it's similar to Seiklus in that there is no combat or deaths either, but rather just exploration and puzzles? 

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »

I really like the style too Smiley
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »

@Silkworm_sweatshop
You are correct! the game has no death... at least I don't think it does.

@happymonster
Thank you! Smiley

---

Announcing deadline for the work-in-progress demo release:
December 10

(just over a week away!)

Any areas that are still missing official music by that time will simply use placeholder tracks.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the adventure so far.

Time to get back to work!

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 05:30:27 PM »

Started working on caves today. Adding small creatures & details.
Also did some polishing on the pause menu.

In the WIP demo, these wooden signs will represent places that will be expanded further:

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »

December 10 has arrived, and thus the work-in-progress demo also!

Dropbox Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52807953/gebub.zip
Itch.io Download: http://orange08.itch.io/gebubs-adventure
(make sure to extract before playing!)

Remember, if you come to a dead end, there will be a wooden "WIP" sign to indicate that area will definitely be expanded later in development.
Enjoy the game, people! I can't wait to hear your feedback! Smiley

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:20:52 PM by orange08 » Logged

Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 05:06:14 PM »

Just played through most of the demo and have done everything except for some stuff in the grass area. Missing some orbs and haven't found what to do with the bird in the cage or the carrot and green ghost in my inventory.

Initial impressions are really good! The game world is really cute and lively and I'm always curious when I enter new areas. The best part of the game so far for me has been the little creatures and the tiny interactions you have with them. Example: the sleeping creatures in the castle that jump when you pass them or the mole that follows you around. Reminds me a lot of the creatures in Knytt, and I hope you add more stuff like that as you continue making the world.

Level design has been great so far, but the world design and general layout of the areas can be difficult to navigate. The individual areas have great design. The castle is definitely the best in that regard. Since it's a tower you always know that you need to go up, and the level mechanic is a good start to potentially more complicated puzzles later in the game. However it does have the issue of a point of no return at a branching path. The door near the top really bothers me, because that takes you about as far away from the castle as you can get. When I went in I didn't realize that I would have been right at the top if I continued up just a bit more and I also assumed I'd have a way to get back up when I fell down that long shaft. Points of no return are fine and very fun in games like this (the eagle and the big fish in Seiklus are good examples) but both of those were at the end of a path, while this door was at a branching path. It's not a huge deal in this particular instance, but it's something to keep in mind.

One thing that really boggles me in the demo is the music. When first looking at this game, it looked so happy and adventure filled. When actually playing it, it's still happy and adventure filled but the music really doesn't fit. It's so sad and solemn, I just don't understand it. When you look at games like Seiklus, or Knytt, or within a deep forest, or even Hubol's 2, the music is very lively and really gets you pumped for exploring. The music here isn't bad, but it doesn't set the tone right. It almost makes me wonder if something bigger and darker is going on, like the end of the world or something. Again, it's not bad, but I really do want to know your thoughts behind putting music like this in the game. I honestly think it would make more sense to remove it completely and have more ambient sounds like birds chirping, grass crunching, water dripping, etc. Like in the rainy area (which is really well done by the way).

Only other thing I can think of is that I need a map, which I assume you'll do considering how baron the item screen is currently. Really great job so far, can't wait to check out what's beyond those WIP signs!
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 02:29:17 AM »

This looks adorable!  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic