Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 05:34:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Gebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]  (Read 17094 times)
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 05:39:44 AM »

Just played through most of the demo and have done everything except for some stuff in the grass area. Missing some orbs and haven't found what to do with the bird in the cage or the carrot and green ghost in my inventory.

in the current demo you cannot do anything for the bird in the cage, or the carrot(at least not yet). These are things that you will be able to do later after I get the game further in development. (the green ghost, on the other hand, is already usable in a certain place)

Initial impressions are really good! The game world is really cute and lively and I'm always curious when I enter new areas. The best part of the game so far for me has been the little creatures and the tiny interactions you have with them. Example: the sleeping creatures in the castle that jump when you pass them or the mole that follows you around. Reminds me a lot of the creatures in Knytt, and I hope you add more stuff like that as you continue making the world.

making these creatures is one of my most favorite parts of the game development process

Level design has been great so far, but the world design and general layout of the areas can be difficult to navigate. The individual areas have great design. The castle is definitely the best in that regard. Since it's a tower you always know that you need to go up, and the level mechanic is a good start to potentially more complicated puzzles later in the game. However it does have the issue of a point of no return at a branching path. The door near the top really bothers me, because that takes you about as far away from the castle as you can get. When I went in I didn't realize that I would have been right at the top if I continued up just a bit more and I also assumed I'd have a way to get back up when I fell down that long shaft. Points of no return are fine and very fun in games like this (the eagle and the big fish in Seiklus are good examples) but both of those were at the end of a path, while this door was at a branching path. It's not a huge deal in this particular instance, but it's something to keep in mind.

I definitely understand what you are saying about the door near the top of the castle.... I'll try to fix that somehow for the next demo.

One thing that really boggles me in the demo is the music. When first looking at this game, it looked so happy and adventure filled. When actually playing it, it's still happy and adventure filled but the music really doesn't fit. It's so sad and solemn, I just don't understand it. When you look at games like Seiklus, or Knytt, or within a deep forest, or even Hubol's 2, the music is very lively and really gets you pumped for exploring. The music here isn't bad, but it doesn't set the tone right. It almost makes me wonder if something bigger and darker is going on, like the end of the world or something. Again, it's not bad, but I really do want to know your thoughts behind putting music like this in the game. I honestly think it would make more sense to remove it completely and have more ambient sounds like birds chirping, grass crunching, water dripping, etc. Like in the rainy area (which is really well done by the way).

Only other thing I can think of is that I need a map, which I assume you'll do considering how baron the item screen is currently. Really great job so far, can't wait to check out what's beyond those WIP signs!

Thank you for voicing your opinion on the music, I had the same feeling(that it was too sad) but decided to see what the public thought before asking the composer to try a more cheerful theme. I definitely want to change the music to be more cheerful to match the cheerful look of the first player location.

I have been planning to create a map for the game, the only trouble is that in order to do it properly I'll need to wait until I've finished designing the entire world, so that I will know exactly how big the world is and how far to scale it down for the pause menu. Until then I hope that you guys can get by on the different appearances in the locations... I know I still need to add some more unique details to give each area it's own look, though.

I really, really appreciate the detailed feedback! This information helps a lot in the development process! Thank you!

@melerski
Thanks, there is a demo if you'd like to play it Wink

-orange

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 06:00:05 AM »

The music isn't "generic" sad, it's melancholic. It's kinda appropriate for a quiet walk, so I wouldn't completely get rid of the melancholy. Just tone it down. Having said that, it is very nice music. I like how it doesn't at all feel rushed or pumped up. Basically, a little less autumn, a bit more summer.

Maybe there will a place for the melancholy that's present now. Could there be sad regions that you get to cheer up somehow?

The only real critique I have is the use of Windows System Font. I know it's almost traditionall, fitting with the charming MS-paint-ish look, but still. May I suggest Comic Neue? It still references the old Microsoft Bob graphicsp by being Comic Sans inspired, fixing a lot of issues with it, while still keeping the overall friendly, rounded look:

http://comicneue.com/
Swofl
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »

This is really good Orange. I was just expecting a well-polished Seiklus clone but you've really brought something else to it. I love how diverse and populous the world feels, and all the cosy hidden spaces. It's got a very Banjo-Kazooie-esque immersion to it in that sense. (The water losing opacity when you jump into it is a nice touch too)

On a controversial note, I actually really like the music. Maybe it's just a matter of taste but I think it creates a beautiful sense of contrast and really sets this apart from other games like it.

Keep it up, genuinely so so enjoyable to explore
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:52 AM »

The best part of the game so far for me has been the little creatures and the tiny interactions you have with them.

Completely agree, it's really what sells it for me. I really enjoyed the demo and look forward to seeing more of the world. I love how upon discovering the "energy pill", my mind immediately went to "Oh man, gotta get that to the fish!" it's so stupid it's brilliant Cheesy.

I think the music is fine for the most part. I was expecting something more cheerful for the grassy area but even that track kinda grew on me. The playable character even looks a bit melancholic I'd say but yeah, it's all about finding the right tone for each area. It is a beautiful piece anyway and I'm sure you'll find a place for it even if you replace it there.

Just for fun, I tried to write something cheerful and and adventurous inspired by this. It's a bit too different stylistically to use though probably. https://silkwormsweatshop.bandcamp.com/track/ventyr 

Suminsky
Level 0

mehhhh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 11:59:59 AM »

I like it, its really smooth.
I agree that the music is sad, but the character kinda have a sad expression too, so I though that was on purpose.

I got stuck on a scaffold on the castle. I hit a switch and jumped almost at the same time and the scaffold and I ended up on the same spot, and I couldnt move anymore.
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 07:25:12 AM »

@JobLeonard
That font looks nice but I'd prefer to have one that doesn't have anti-aliasing or smooth edges.
I may very well replace the system font later... or better yet make a new, hand drawn one.

@Swofl
Never was my intention to make a clone, I think that would be rather boring. Nonetheless I have taken a lot of inspiration from seiklus; the collectable orbs, the leaf plants you can climb on, player cannot die.
I've gotten used to the music also, but I recognize that it's a bit oddly sad... which doesn't really suit the first (grassy) area(because it's a very happy cheerful place).
I'm glad you liked the game, I'll do my best to continue the adventure Smiley

@Silkworm_sweatshop
I may very well use the starting music in a different area! Smiley
Your Aventyr song is really cool. Interesting you should name it that, because the project's original title was "Endevyr"

@Suminsky
I've gotten a couple reports of this glitch with the castle switch blocks... I fixed it pretty easily but for now you'll just have to be careful around that one spot.

Sorry I haven't updated much lately, I've been working on some other projects, and also development was held back for a while when I decided to import the project from GM8 into GMS.
I had to revamp a big part of the save system, fortunately it was a fairly simple task and now I should be back on track for working on more of the game world.

new autumnal area

Thanks for all the great feedback, you guys! Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 08:09:26 AM »

@JobLeonard
That font looks nice but I'd prefer to have one that doesn't have anti-aliasing or smooth edges.
I may very well replace the system font later... or better yet make a new, hand drawn one.
Cool cool, looking forward to see what you choose/come up with Smiley
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 01:15:43 PM »

This looks very interesting! I love the aesthetic especially the water level.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 11:34:20 PM »

oOooOo!  Hand Clap

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »

Yeah, I love the hand drawn title text. Might not work for smaller text but I'd say play around with it and see if something works.

Quote from: orange08
@Silkworm_sweatshop
I may very well use the starting music in a different area! Smiley
Your Aventyr song is really cool. Interesting you should name it that, because the project's original title was "Endevyr"

Well, there is an obvious reason for this Tongue.

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 02:17:20 AM »

Man, this is so cool and relaxing, really love the demo. Music fits perfectly.

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 07:40:14 AM »

The artstyle is just adorable!

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

I've made a good bit of progress, decided to start working on some new branching paths near the castle.

implemented shooting/falling stars in the background

also shows part of a fallen spacecraft

there are a lot of different branches of the world's paths that have (temporary WIP)dead ends... my process is to work on one at a time in expanding them to go out further and hopefully soon all the parts of the world will be as connected as they need to be.

I don't want to give away too much but I'm pretty sure the game's story(which is wordless) will revolve mostly around the bird trapped in the castle. I don't have all the details clear yet... but I do have a good bit of them.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 01:44:44 AM »

the game's story
It doesn't have to be one big story; you can have different independent ones that you can do non-linearly.
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 02:01:19 PM »

@JobLeonard
That is very much so the way it is going to be. But I think there will be one particular story which stands over the rest.

I've been working more on the night-time area by the damaged spacecraft.
Also a new underground mushroom-ey place.

Next I plan to add slightly larger mushrooms that bounce you up high vertical distances(so they will replace the ladders in this area). After I finish a good bit of the mushroom underground I will start working more on the autumnal part of the world(which is on the complete opposite side of the map).

I'm hoping to have an update to the demo in a month or 2(with a lot more places to explore).

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2016, 06:34:34 PM »

This game is really cute! and the music definitely sets a mood, great job Smiley

Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 01:49:03 AM »

This looks great Orange. First saw this in the GMC, I'm a big fan of the Seiklusy art style.

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments, Jalapenosbud, Ninety!

Today I recorded & edited a few new sound effects for the mushroom area. Made some progress further designing the rest of the underground.

The inhabitants of this section are the mushroom farmers.
both curious and shy, they like to hide next to their crops

CoreGG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2016, 05:00:54 PM »

I love this kind of simple design, keep on mate.

IVOX - A New puzzle game!
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »

Looking nice. Adding in little creatures helps make the game seem more alive. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic