Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:16:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Gebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]  (Read 17059 times)
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 06:29:52 PM »

Progress is looking really good! I didn't expect there to be a story, so I'm excited to see where you take it. I love the mushroom farmers!
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 11:38:45 AM »

@CoreGG
Thank you! Smiley

@QOG
They definitely do! And there are still more characters who haven't gotten there yet.

@Beanallean
Thanks! I like them too, I think I'm going to have to work on them a little more though... right now they all behave a little too similarly.

I reached sort of a landmark today... so I think I'll notch this topic up to 30% complete!

The mushroom underground area has been mostly finished and I'm starting to work on the winter mountains(mostly on paper atm).

Here's a few screenshots:
picking up one last item before departure(a mushroom within a mushroom)

this area is connected with the castle sewers(none of the castle dwellers ever go there, though)

Further past this tree and upwards is where the winter mountains are going to be.

About 95% of the stuff in the game is drawn on paper beforehand... I thought I would show you guys some of the sketches.
Spacecraft:

Insides of Mushroom house:

hopefully that was interesting

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 03:52:49 PM »

i was very productive today,
got the snow working,
also made a little cave place where a beetle is fishing.
I did a lot more work, but mostly those were tiny little fixes and slight changes.
The winter mountains are very fun to work on. Notable was the fact that it was also snowing outside today (so that helped).

The composer has been having technical difficulties recently as well as being busy overall, but hopefully he will be able to start working again soon... because the game still lacks quite a bit of music.

I'm looking forward to working more on the winter mountains, after I've done a good portion of this area I will be moving on to another underground place which will probably have a lot of lava & glowy things. Hope you enjoyed this progress update!

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »

I've been working more on the winter mountains.
I fixed it so when you transition into a room where it is snowing, there is already a bunch of snow on the screen and you don't have to wait for it to come down from the top of the screen.

I've also done quite a bit of work on this snowman(i mean... there's a lot more to it than just a sprite...). Can't say much because spoilers. Snowman still needs a hat, though.

The game is progressing even more in my own mind and I'm getting a very clear idea of how each player's conclusion to the game will go. This is extremely important as it helps me to know exactly what I need to work towards and gives me a lot of needed direction.

A question for people following this project:
Do you find the pictures of my notebook sketches of various objects and characters interesting? If not, that is fine... but if people find them amusing I will try to post them more often.

(here you can see the hat I forgot to give to the snowman today)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:37:38 PM by orange08 » Logged

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2016, 01:26:30 PM »

I've made very good progress today in the winter areas.
There are now snow blocks that can be smashed through when landed on or jumped into with enough force. I also worked on an ice tileset which will be used in some places underneath the snow. Soon I will need to program some slipperiness for when the player walks on it.

Also, importantly, the composer has finally resolved the technical difficulties and has been making good progress with the music.

I used some very nice markers which I discovered later were alcohol based to draw some art for the game.
I'm not sure if this stuff is of any use but the markers were really fun to use.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »

I really liked the last demo I played. Calming atmosphere. I think I will wait until it's done so I don't spoil it piece by piece for myself. Winter lands look great keep up the good work.   Coffee

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 02:04:06 PM »

@flipswitchx
I can definitely understand your not wanting to have the game spoiled for you. Thanks for the feedback! Smiley

The winter mountains are finally ready and now I've begun working on another branch, the path into the lava underground.
This particular underground area will most likely require you to find a lot of hidden openings and pathways(those of you who have played the demo may understand, as there are a few elsewhere).

Shortly I will be working on adding multiple save slots, you will have to choose which one of them you want to use/overwrite whenever you start a new game(on the game menu). These systems are fairly easy to implement, although it would have been even easier if I had the forethought to have this implemented from the beginning.

I'm planning to put the game on steam greenlight very soon, so I have been doing some screen recording and putting together a trailer.

One thing I would like you guys' opinion on, should I release an updated WIP demo for the greenlight page? Or is it better to leave the game as unspoiled as possible until the final release?

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 02:06:11 PM »

Lovely Smiley Looking forward to following this.

It reminds me a bit of one of my favorites, Albero and the Great Blue Emblem.
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2016, 02:25:34 PM »

@PsySal
Thanks for following!!

I've been working very much today on the lava underground place. It's coming along well. I have a lot of good ideas for characters you encounter on your way further down.

I used markers once again to draw something for this area:

I am preparing to post the game on Steam Greenlight. I have a trailer ready and some screenshots, but I need to work on a better description. Hopefully everything will be ready very soon.
I hope you enjoyed this progress update!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:35:49 AM by orange08 » Logged

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 09:36:32 AM »

Gebub's Adventure is now up on Steam Greenlight!
Please vote for the game and share the page! Smiley

Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619430503

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »

Done! Hand Thumbs Up Left
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »

voted  Hand Thumbs Up Right
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »

This game is cute. Seems very atmospheric and cozy. And yes, the sketches are much appreciated!

Besst of luck with the greenlight. c:

Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 06:35:01 PM »

Voted! Good luck :D

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 06:17:19 PM »

JobLeonard, bakkusa, Prinsessa, Ninety, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the support! Smiley

Today I finished completely tweaking the game into 60 FPS and also implemented save slots so you can have multiple saved games.
Really excited to start working on the lava underground now, lots of (hopefully) interesting characters & creatures I've been planning to put into it. Smiley

I'll try to post some gifs or screenshots later for tomorrow's #screenshotsaturday!

Poya
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 07:41:02 PM »

I think the graphics and the music gel together really well! Voted on steam Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2016, 03:50:17 AM »

You're more than welcome!

Today I finished completely tweaking the game into 60 FPS
My brain can't really imagine mixing this low-res MS Paint art (which I love, don't misunderstand) with 60 FPS. Curious what it will look like!

and also implemented save slots so you can have multiple saved games.
Woop woop
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »

@Poya
Thank you!! It's good to know that so many people like the aesthetic.

@JobLeonard
It took a lot of adjusting, of course. But the higher FPS makes the game feel more responsive and smooth, I think. Smiley

I've made extensive progress in this underground area. It's practically finished, but there are a few minor things I still need to add.

the robot was a lot of fun

The greenlight campaign, meanwhile, went very well initially(the first 2-3 days), but apparently most of the traffic was from steam itself(viewers looking at the "recent submissions" list). Things have slowed down quite a bit... my game is at about 35% of the way to the top 100... and at the current rate it will probably stay there.

I'm very pleased with how quickly I am making progress on the game itself, though. If I keep it up at this pace I will probably be finished within 3-4 months.

To round off this progress update here's a concept art for the jellyfish creatures, which are not in the game yet:

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »

Another extremely productive Thursday.

I can't show you guys everything, but here's a machine that I started working on:

Also there are tiny red fireflies in the lava place now:

The lava underground place is basically finished, so next I will be working a bit more on the very first area (grassy place), and then the underwater place.
I want to release an updated WIP demo, but I am unable to until I can find a new composer. I had to drop my first one because they did not have enough time for the project. Hopefully this setback won't delay the game's completion too much.

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »

I've been working a lot more on the game and also still searching for a new composer.

The pause menu is beginning to take shape. It's still missing a map, though.

Next thing I need to work on is the electronic teleportation device and some landmarks in the first area.
In my notebook there are 35 pages of plans & doodles for this game. In particular I am amused to see how my ideas for the game have changed since the first few pages.

Hopefully by the next update I will have found a new composer.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic