Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:22:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStreets of Rogue : Rogue-lite + Deus Ex-ish freedom + pure insanity [Alpha out!]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Streets of Rogue : Rogue-lite + Deus Ex-ish freedom + pure insanity [Alpha out!]  (Read 18215 times)
Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »

Alpha 11 is out!  Giant changelog here!

Also created a playthrough of the current build as a vampire:

Yeah, I agree. I think you'd want an 80's synthwave type sound, personally. Sort of this style - though maybe not these exact sounds

I don't think a super hyper-active chipwave style would quite fit - I think it would be too much. I imagine something kind of gritty and groovy, to go with the whole "Streets" feel/imagery.

That's pretty cool, thanks for making me aware of it.  I could see going in that direction -- I tried playing the game with this OST on, it seems like a pretty good fit.

SkullPixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »

I've been playing your demo, a lot. I just downloaded the v11 and am gonna go start playing now.

You definitely have a gem here. It's so stupidly fun. Gentleman

(Thanks for the no-gore option. It's just not my thing. Grin)

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 08:30:20 AM »

Shapeshifter is the best class Tongue

Just discovered this today thanks to the Tinybuild announcement. It's so fun. Possession is really fun. I killed my target by jumping between different bodies to whittle down the target's health and letting him kill the dazed people when I jumped out. And then I needed to break into a chest, so I lured the shopkeeper outside by knocking on the window and jumping into her body. Walked right past the security camera and unlocked the chest with her key.

Will there be any interaction with corpses later? Like cops take dead bodies to a morgue? Would be useful as a shapeshifter to infiltrate a place, or just place a bomb on the corpse as another class

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »

Here is tinyBuild's announcement

And the lil trailer they whipped up:

I've been playing your demo, a lot. I just downloaded the v11 and am gonna go start playing now.

You definitely have a gem here. It's so stupidly fun. Gentleman

(Thanks for the no-gore option. It's just not my thing. Grin)

I don't know why more games don't include a "no gore" option.  It's like a 3 line code change!

Shapeshifter is the best class Tongue

Just discovered this today thanks to the Tinybuild announcement. It's so fun. Possession is really fun. I killed my target by jumping between different bodies to whittle down the target's health and letting him kill the dazed people when I jumped out. And then I needed to break into a chest, so I lured the shopkeeper outside by knocking on the window and jumping into her body. Walked right past the security camera and unlocked the chest with her key.

Will there be any interaction with corpses later? Like cops take dead bodies to a morgue? Would be useful as a shapeshifter to infiltrate a place, or just place a bomb on the corpse as another class

Possession was just added really recently.  It can be a litttttle OP if you know what you're doing, but I'm glad you're getting a kick out of it!

There are definitely going to be ways to interact with corpses depending on particular items you've got or characters you're playing as.  There's likely going to be a Cannibal class, so you can imagine how that will go.  Evil

Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:34 PM »

I created an OSX build of the game upon someone's request over at NeoGaf, which I think they may have forgotten about.  I don't own a Mac and have never attempted to create a build for one before (I'm using Unity), but if someone wants to give this a spin and report back on whether it actually works, that would be greatly appreciated!

OSX Build

Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 11:54:38 PM »

Do you plan to keep game free forever? In case if final version will be available for money it could be better if tinyBuild ads were clear that it's free alpha, now it gave thoughts that it's free and will remain free.

Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 08:00:37 AM »

Do you plan to keep game free forever? In case if final version will be available for money it could be better if tinyBuild ads were clear that it's free alpha, now it gave thoughts that it's free and will remain free.

No, it's just in open alpha right now as a way of getting the game into a lot of people's hands and getting useful feedback.  Eventually the game will cost money.  I need to eat at some point.  Believe me, it's really difficult to go for a game's entire development cycle without consuming food.  I don't recommend it.

Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 08:18:21 AM »

Right, I mean tinyBuild video saying "Free game", shouldn't it specifically state "Free alpha" instead of a "Free game"?

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »

I like the games's style. Smiley

I agree with @Shirsh though that the "Available Free At StreetsOfRogue.com" seems imply that that the game is (and will be) free at StreetsOfRogue.com.

Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »

I suppose it may not be as clear as it could be.  I thought it was obvious, but after spending as much time thinking about the game as I do, it's a bit easy to lose perspective on this sort of thing.  I'll talk with tinyBuild about our choice of wordage going forward.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2016, 12:23:37 AM »

Glad to hear that this video communicated the game well.  It's not always the easiest thing in the world to try and describe this game to somebody, but perhaps the "break-in" example will be a good one to use in the future.  Have you checked out the video linked at the very top of this thread?  I thought that did a pretty good job of explaining things, but if you feel differently I'd like to know.

Yea I watched the first video, but it felt kind of slow in that you were exploring the UI and goals of the game first, the objective wasn't as interesting, it looked too easy in that every solution worked, and went on a lot of tangents. I thought the other video I watched felt exciting and focused enough that I understood what kind of game I was looking at quickly, before seeing the breadth of what ELSE is in the game.

But, that being said, I enjoyed your new trailer. So as far as video communication is concerned it looks like you're on a good track  Hand Thumbs Up Right
EDIT-- Oh I guess tinyBuild made the trailer, sorry I didn't notice.

Also, while we're talking about soundtracks, I think 80's synth is kind of in a renaissance right now, so you might be able to surf that wave if you're thinking about it.
kennoley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »

Played a lot of Streets of Rogue 2 player mode (Alpha 10) yesterday with a friend and while playing we encountered 2 noticeable issues,

1.) It seems that when an NPC is aggravated by one of the 2 players, the NPC is hateful towards both players instead of just one. Not sure if this is supposed to happen but it seems unfair for the NPC to hate both players even though one didn't do anything imo.

2.) Whenever a player opens their menu to Loot or talk to someone, if the other player presses the interact (A on Xbox) button then that menu will close out.

Those were the only bugs, hopefully they could be fixed before Alpha 11?

1. That's by design.  It works like this: If Person A hates Person B, and Person A spots Person C who is aligned with Person B, Person A will hate Person C.  There's a lot of other stuff in there too, the alignment system is actually pretty complex -- and it pretty much has to be, given the numerous ways players can mess with other people.  The game assumes that the two players are aligned since generally you're supposed to be working together.  So yeah, you can screw over your partner pretty easily Smiley

2. I haven't run across that issue before and I can't reproduce it using 2 Xbox controllers, but let me know if it happens in the next build.  It should be out in the next couple days.

1. Oh ok makes sense

2. Well I was using a keyboard while my friend used an Xbox 360 controller, but yeah ill let you know  Smiley

It seems that this little issue is not present in the new build, so yeah keep up the good work  Beer!
Also great idea uploading streets of rogue to itch.io, where will be able to buy this when the game is done?
tanis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »

WOW! This looks so good! :D
I'm keeping an eye on it Wink

Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 04:54:43 PM »

Alpha 12 just released!  This one is essentially a "bugfix build", it fixes just about every issue that I witnessed at PAX, or has been sent to me over the past couple of weeks. Check it out!

Also made an FAQ for the game, covered in the video below, which also features a Shapeshifter playthrough:

Also great idea uploading streets of rogue to itch.io, where will be able to buy this when the game is done?

It'll eventually be on Steam.  Also planning PS4 and Xbox One releases.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:33 PM »

The graphics style reminds me of monaco: whats yours is mine meets hotline miami. Gorilla army hype!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 05:24:35 AM »

Just made a quick test of your last Alpha. Even though I'm not a big fan of the art, I had fun playing it.

I've tested 3 characters so far (policeman, soldier and gangster). I had the more fun with the soldier (seems like the easiest to start with between the 3). What I really loved about your game is that it seems filled with possibilities! The missions were differents enough and especially it's open enough to allow the player to make his own story. Like when I had to free two prisonners, broke the wall on the back and launched some grenades to get rid of the guard. Remind me of the feeling of some old GTA.

It got me some minutes to get used to the controls though (I tried gamepad and keyboard). There's a lot of buttons to remember at once (maybe you planned to do a quick tutorial later to learn them step by step?). And I think there's a bit too much of inertia to the movement.

But still I want to play it more and make some more chaos ^^ Keep the good work coming!

Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »

Just made a quick test of your last Alpha. Even though I'm not a big fan of the art, I had fun playing it.

I've tested 3 characters so far (policeman, soldier and gangster). I had the more fun with the soldier (seems like the easiest to start with between the 3). What I really loved about your game is that it seems filled with possibilities! The missions were differents enough and especially it's open enough to allow the player to make his own story. Like when I had to free two prisonners, broke the wall on the back and launched some grenades to get rid of the guard. Remind me of the feeling of some old GTA.

It got me some minutes to get used to the controls though (I tried gamepad and keyboard). There's a lot of buttons to remember at once (maybe you planned to do a quick tutorial later to learn them step by step?). And I think there's a bit too much of inertia to the movement.

But still I want to play it more and make some more chaos ^^ Keep the good work coming!

Glad you like it!  I am indeed planning to have a tutorial at some point to help new players get adjusted.  I kinda disagree with the inertia thing though -- I think it gives the game a nice loose bouncy feel.

Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »

Lucky Alpha 13 is out!  In addition to a bunch of bugfixes, I added a bunch new items and traits, as well as two new playable classes: The Slum Dweller and the Investment Banker.   Full changelog here!

I made a video which includes a playthrough with the Investment Banker class:

Another new feature that this build adds is Twitch integration, which comes just in time for TwitchCon.  If anyone's planning on being there, I'll have a station at Taco Bell's "Feed the Beta" booth.  I'll also be presenting on TwitchCon’s Indie Stage at 2:15 PST Saturday and 3:45 PST Sunday.  You'll be able to see that here.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:55:09 PM by Madguy » Logged

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2016, 03:09:29 AM »

I'm sure it's been mentioned a lot, but for me the biggest pet peeve now is that toolbar items gets replaced when you pick up the same item for durability/ammo. Melee swings also feel like they could use some hitbox change, as I've missed a few swings/punches while standing directly behind NPCs.
Otherwise looking forward to more content.

Is the Language/localization part handled by tinybuild or is there other plans? Curious to know as a Chinese player.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Madguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »

Is the Language/localization part handled by tinybuild or is there other plans? Curious to know as a Chinese player.

We're planning to do an official translation at some point, but I may add support for unofficial fan translations soon, as a few people have asked me about helping.  So stay tuned!

In other news, I got to showcase the game at TwitchCon over the weekend.  Also got the chance to talk about it a bit onstage:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic