Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:11:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow long does registered trademarks/copyrights last when it comes to games?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How long does registered trademarks/copyrights last when it comes to games?  (Read 4660 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 07:46:36 PM »

I don't know if Sim and Tycoon were ever registered as trademarks, or if their owners are currently in a position where their marks could become generic, but generally speaking, companies that lose their trademarks stand to lose a great deal of money. You lose all potential licensing revenue from the mark, for one thing. For another, your competitors are free to peddle inferior products under your old mark, profiting from your hard-won consumer goodwill while simultaneously destroying it. This might not mean much to any of us, since none of us personally owns a particularly valuable game brand, but for a company like Konami or Activision, this has serious consequences.

That's just part of the problem, though. Consider this: a lawyer who doesn't do the things he knows he ought to do to preserve a trademark may be liable for legal malpractice when the trademark becomes invalid. In plain English, this means his client can potentially sue him for every penny that they lost when they lost their trademark. I really can't blame these lawyers for their zealousness.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic