Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:37:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPale Meridian [aRPG]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Pale Meridian [aRPG]  (Read 23067 times)
fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2016, 04:07:22 AM »

Hi Rujik,

since originally replying to your thread when you first opened it, I allways enjoy reading updates on your game.
This transition to the castle interior is fantastic. There is such a difference in atmosphere between indoors and outdoors.

Take care, fingerman
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2016, 06:38:32 AM »

@amanfr01 Thanks mate!

@fingerman Thanks first-post man! I was relieved the first time you posted. I was afraid I would get no comments for my digital baby.

AI Update
First, here is a visual explanation on how pathfinding works (Nothing original here. A* and ray-casting)

Every NPC has two major variables for BASIC movement: run_speed and turn_speed.

Here are two NPC's with the SAME turn_speed. Even with the same turn speed, red makes wider turns due to his increased run speed. (Kinda like two cars turning at 60 mph vs 10 mph. Turn will be wider even if they technically turn the same number of degrees per second.)

And finally, here are two super fast rabbits that have the same run_speed, but very different turn speeds.

The white rabbit looks very chaotic due to his very slow turning.

...And all of these rabbits are identical except for only TWO variables too. Pretty neat!

(gotta go fast)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:55:06 PM by RujiK » Logged

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »

Wow! This is neat, and very insightful.

As an audio person, seeing these behind-the-scenes looks at programming is quite enlightening!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
ashen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2016, 03:43:39 AM »

Wow, You've made some really great progress on this since I last stopped by.  Your pixel skills are even better now.  I'm really getting a ConcernedApe vibe from your screenshots, you can't get a better developer to draw inspiration from for this type of game.  Your animals have so much character for so few pixels.  The collision and subtle movement also really bring them to life.

Keep up the great work.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2016, 05:45:19 AM »

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I haven't played Stardew Valley, but I've heard lots of great things about it.

Today, the basic weapon system:

Sword and shield mode is just about done, but dual wielding has me completely stumped gameplay wise.

As you'll notice, the second sword currently doesn't do anything when you attack. It's purely cosmetic. So my current ideas are:
    - Dual wielding just does more damage automatically
    - Second weapon attacks slightly behind the first weapon
    - After finishing your attack with the first, you immediately attack with the second
    - Second weapon can only be thrown

Does anyone have a better idea? These all seem kinda lame to me...

TL: DR : ANY IDEAS HOW FOR DUAL WIELDING GAMEPLAY?

HoffmanIV
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2016, 09:46:03 AM »

I think if you're going to put in dual wielding, it should really feel like you're comboing. The first button press would swing the first sword, and a timer would then count down after the first swing that gives you a small window to tap again and do a second swing. Having it be automatic takes the action out of the ARPG aspect!
KaiTheSpy
Level 0

how to make the game

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »

I definitely agree with HOFFY. There should be combos with dual wielding.

i am a 14 year old loser who sort of knows how to program
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2016, 11:13:08 PM »

Ambitious but already super impressive Kiss

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2016, 09:15:22 AM »

@flipswitchx Thanks man!

@HOFFY @KaiTheSpy

The combo system is a great idea but my problem is the animations. Long ago I decided I would rather have changeable armor/clothes and many weapons than nice animations. So the animation-style will be similar to Terraria, with the same few rigid animations for everything.

My current slightly odd dual-wielding:

Both weapons are entirely independent of each other so it's complete freedom. (Stamina will keep things balanced) I may add some dual-restrictions depending on feedback, but currently it's just single wielding multiplied by two.

Realistic? Heck no.
Wonky looking? Probably.
Fun? I think so.

Different weapons have different speed, "rev-up time", knock-back, stamina use, and damage, so there will hopefully be a weapon for everyone's play style. Here's a super fast katana

Finally, here is the new inventory screen. But first, here is the old one(s), so you will appreciate how far its come.

And the new one:

It's still WIP (Especially the stats) but the main idea is there. Thanks for all the comments!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:56:22 PM by RujiK » Logged

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »

I'm no animator, so I'm not sure how to suggest feedback on that. It does look a little wonky, and I think it's good that you're aware of it! Perhaps someone on here will have some suggestions from an artistic standpoint.

Regarding your UI, it is very clean! It looks very Final Fantasy-ish in nature, and I think that's great. Most people, if not all, will understand how to scroll through each tab without much hassle or confusion.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »

Your terrain tilesets are looking really cool!

The visual style of the trees and streams alone makes me intrigued by the game - I want to go exploring.

Regarding dual-wielding:

In the Souls series, one of the most basic advantages of dual-wielding is to be able to easily attack with either weapon so as to use the superior one in a given situation. You'd sometimes see someone with a fast, linear weapon in their left hand (say a rapier, crossbow, or light spear) and then a heavy, big-swing weapon in the right hand. Therefore, merely having each of the two weapons bound to a different input (e.g. left vs. right click) and simply having that input do the standard move for that weapon would be enough to create all kinds of value in different weapon combinations. (spear for range/broadsword for slashes, dagger for speed/hammer for power, etc.)

For instance, one fun technique that works in both pvp and pve is to pair a crossbow with a greataxe. When fighting, the crossbow is used to punish 'small' opportunities such as the enemy using a consumable or missing a swing while far away. The enemy is naturally compelled to close the gap or to put up their shield, at which point a swing from the greataxe will make short work of them. If they dodge the greataxe, the crossbow can often punish them with a quick hit at close range. You can imagine all of the possible combinations of weapons creating a big potential for creative fighting - 10 different weapons means 100 possible fighting styles, so it's great way to make the most of your content.

The downside of the approach above is that there's no reason to use two very similar weapons if all you're doing is choosing which one to swing. This can be fixed by adding a soft "combo" system: when you swing one weapon, you can swing the other one slightly faster than the normal cooldown if you were to swing the same weapon again  -you can attack faster by alternating hands. That means a choice of 2 longswords means faster chained hits than a single sword, which is thematic.

Therefore my suggestion for dual wielding for maximum interesting-ness and creativity is each mouse button (or whatever) is paired to one hand, and you can swing with the other hand on a slightly faster cooldown than normal after attacking with either.
CYON4D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2016, 05:59:41 AM »

This is awesome!

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2016, 06:12:26 AM »

Hey RujiK, I've been following the updates for a while and it looks really great. Will you be needing any music at some point?

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
mesmith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »

Nice inventory screen. Nice touch with how the character watches the mouse cursor. I appreciate little details like that.
ArtOfTheWild
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »

This is absolutely stunning. Much good and many props.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2016, 07:11:26 PM »

This looks like there is someone working with passion and at least a little bit of talent. Thanks for the devlog.
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »

@amanfr01 Thanks man. Animating is not my strong point. But I'm getting better!
@Arethrid @mesmith @ArtofTheWild @Krux Thanks for the compliments guys.
@sbeast Probably will need music at some point, but that is still a long way off. Still lots to do! Thanks for the inquest though.

@Low_Chance Thank you for taking the time to write that very detailed reply. Currently dual-wielding is pretty similar to what you mentioned with complete independence. I'll keep what you said in mind though, it still needs some tweaking on my part.

Something new I've been planning this for awhile:

All that art for the buildings and their interiors took forever.

I have a decision I'd love some advice on. Look at this screenshot of zelda and notice the red square in the middle.

The square roughly (320x240?) represents the original SNES viewport. With that SMALL viewport, the city seemed large, interesting, and worth exploring. BUT with the full screenshot resolution as seen above, the need to explore is greatly diminished since everything is seen instantly. "Yup, there it is. The whole town... Time to move on."

To compensate for the large resolution, should I add a fog-of-war to unexplored areas? It would work similarily to Baldur's Gate II, where everything is black until explored and then remains visible.

TL:DR: Should I add Fog-of-War similar to Baldur's Gate II?

Necdilzor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2017, 10:15:57 AM »

I'm not sure fog of war would play nicely with that type of game. You could prototype and take a look at how it works.

On the other hand, almost all ARPGs use the first approach. In Diablo II the towns weren't any big, just "functional" with no incentive to explore it, just talk to all the characters and that's it. If you want your player to explore the city maybe you could make it bigger or add some interactions with specific places in it.

I'd like to add, nice work Smiley Every time it's looking more interesting!
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »

The town in Zelda Minish Cap is interesting.
It is very small, but it's not completely open from the get go, you have to progress in the game in order to reach certain parts of it. It's kinda like a mini dungeon that requires some items from later parts of the game. There are puzzles to solve etc...

washk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2017, 12:30:58 AM »

The town in Zelda Minish Cap is interesting.
It is very small, but it's not completely open from the get go, you have to progress in the game in order to reach certain parts of it. It's kinda like a mini dungeon that requires some items from later parts of the game. There are puzzles to solve etc...

As your buildings seems to be bigger, I think the "gates" solution as proposed by TitoOliveira would make more sense.

My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic