Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:00:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPale Meridian [aRPG]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Pale Meridian [aRPG]  (Read 23068 times)
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »

@TitoOliveira I haven't played Minish Cap, but that is a pretty cool idea. Definately something original I hadn't though of. Thanks!

@Necdilzor Thanks man. And yeah, fog of war doesn't seem to be a popular choice.

Technical post: Bone-men

Bonemen are a new enemy that use ranged attacks. They chase after the player but only close enough to throw bones. If the player gets too close, they retreat. Observe:

I wanted LOTS of bonemen possible on screen, like 50-100, but after about 30, things started getting clogged. To prevent lag, pathfinding (Which can be VERY intense) is only done so many times per frame. As a result, if you tell 50 units to move at once, it looks like this:

Old Method: Single file

In combat, it's almost like a lame fight scene where the enemies come at you one at a time since pathfinding can take so long. Since pathfinding is already about as optimized as it can get, I made so NPC's can now share pathing information. If two (Or more) NPC's are near eachother and are headed to the same destination, they just share the same path. This can change 100 path calculations to 10 or so.

New Method: Share paths

Also I made a blood splat. Is this better than a flashing sprite, or too violent?

Overall, the AI was really fun to work with. It needed almost a complete rewrite but now it's much faster and also easier to change. I'm hoping to have battles with 100 units, but I'm not sure if that will be possible without pushing the requirements too high.

Thanks for all the feedback!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:44:57 AM by RujiK » Logged

fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »

The path sharing looks better also.
sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »

@sbeast Probably will need music at some point, but that is still a long way off. Still lots to do! Thanks for the inquest though.

Ok, that's cool. I'm an experienced composer, and would be interested in collaborating if/when the time comes.  Smiley

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »

So I added spiders and I tried to make them move all creepy like actual spiders. They are unpredictable. They may attack on sight or they may just sit and watch. But they have a swift pounce.

Another new enemy is the rat. It's cowardly alone, but will attack in groups. First the rats try to run away but then attack when they realize they have companions to help. They're pretty weak.

In the art department I have been working on woods and forests. Previously woods have been looking like a weird hedge maze thing.

So I started looking at SNES games for inspiration and saw these:

So I started to mimic what I saw, and made this:

Essentially I was making a bunch of corridors with trees for walls. Since that's what pretty much every SNES game does, I didn't even question it. I just copied what I saw. After a bit of wasted work, I remembered something. I'm making an OPEN WORLD game. Why am I making the woods corridors?

So I changed the woods to be more open so it currently looks like this:

Dats it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:43:01 AM by RujiK » Logged

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »

Personally I think the trees could use a little more polish, to make the vegetation look thicker, but I really like those spiders.
PlatinumLifeOW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »

I'm always a sucker for retro looking things.
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »

For some reason the herds of pigs and skeletons and whatnot are just so cute!  Kiss

Beautiful graphics and exciting game idea! I'm just always wishing for weird plants/buildings/locales besides standard green forests and trees in games like this. I don't know if you wanna go for the "standard" medieval-forest themeーI guess you do, and it looks greatーbut your style on some more off-the-wall areas/creatures/plants would be exciting to see!  Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
washk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2017, 04:24:12 AM »

Personally I think the trees could use a little more polish, to make the vegetation look thicker, but I really like those spiders.

I think the trees are quite good. What you are saying, is maybe some more bush would make an impression of thicker forest, which may me true.

My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2017, 04:34:52 AM »

The spiders are amazing. The reason I found Bloodborne's one instance of giant spiders so unnerving was how incredibly fast they were from a completely stopped position. It's something I find creepy about real life spiders and it looks like you've translated it well.

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2017, 05:49:55 AM »

Please make the game already ;/ The scripting of AI is formidable. And sorry but I steal the idea of swift pounce spiders. My current spiders are lazy bums. Keep it up!

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2017, 08:02:30 AM »

I really dig the art style.

However, is your character a pacifist or something? I've noticed the gifs show the mobs attacking it, but not you attacking the mobs!
washk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2018, 11:40:54 PM »

I saw you started another project, is this one on hold while you do a smaller project ? Was the scope too big ?

My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog
vikepic
Level 0

Rendering dreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2018, 05:48:46 AM »

The game looks amazing, keep up the good work Smiley

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2018, 07:24:44 AM »

love the scale of this. the work you've put into the AI shows too, everything looks really fun to fight against. keep going Hand Fork Left Grin Hand Knife Right

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic