Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:41:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOperation Fungus - [New version (1.0.0) is available!]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Operation Fungus - [New version (1.0.0) is available!]  (Read 6645 times)
Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:36:30 AM »

Noir

Short info:

Genre: Shooter, mostly
Release date: January 8th 2016
Free or commercial: No idea yet. I'll release at least first two levels for free and then decide whether it's money I want. Freeware

Click here to play the latest version on Game Jolt!

Support 'Operation Fungus' in Thunderclap!

(Click image to watch)

(Click image to watch)

(Click image to watch)

Screenshots (old):

Here's the title screen.

If you want to play you better pick up a mission...

...but before that you should upgrade your skills.

Here it begins.

Time to face some enemies.

Use your "Laser Burst" special skill to get rid of the enemies...

...or 'Thunderstorm'...

...or 'Star Shield', which is pretty useful against the first boss.

But because we are talking of bosses, it will probably kill you very fast.

I'll post more content (and a video!) later.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:30:53 PM by Jani_Nykanen » Logged

Silent Crow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:18:45 AM »

"Obligatory Green Plains" xD
Love the humor.
Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »

I recorded and uploaded a video to Youtube. It can be seen here:

(By the way, doesn't this site support embedding a Youtube video?)

jesseb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:12:22 AM »

Looks like it's got a nice sense of humor and art style, but I'm not sure I understand the theme. I can't tell what type of creature you're playing as or why the game is called Operation Fungus (besides that you're fighting a mushroom?). I do like the title though.
Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 12:21:56 PM »

Looks like it's got a nice sense of humor and art style, but I'm not sure I understand the theme. I can't tell what type of creature you're playing as or why the game is called Operation Fungus (besides that you're fighting a mushroom?). I do like the title though.
The story behind the title: when I created the project, I named it 'Fungus', since I had an idea of a game where the player is a mushroom who rides a flying pig. But soon I noticed it was easier to draw that current player character (whatever it is). But I was too lazy to rename the project, so I gave it a project title "Project Fungus" and later "Operation Fungus". I found the latter one so catchy I decided not to change the name.

Anyway, I'm going to write the background story soon. All the bosses will be mushrooms, that I can say. And the final boss will be the leader of the mushrooms. Why you hurting those smiling mushrooms, that something I haven't completely solved yet...

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »

I know some people think it's a good idea to try to defeat the bosses multiple times in order to grind crystals, so I decided to surprise them by adding a ghost version of every boss in the end of each stage.

By the way, the base form of that boss is now called "Cancerous Fungushumongous".

EDIT: And before some one says it's hard to separate the bullets from the background, I added white borders around them. It's not seen in the screenshots yet, though.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:12:26 PM by Jani_Nykanen » Logged

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »

Here's a GIF animation that shows different menus (clear profile, settings, list of controls etc.) I've been working on:

They look a bit raw, but I don't feel like spending too much time on them. I think I rather use that time by adding new content (it has been a while since I added actual content last time, but there is only one menu to be added (one that asks if you want to quit) ).

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »

Here's a picture of the placeholder story screen. The full version will have an actual intro with animations or at least static images, not only text and a background.

(Click picture to see it in the full size)

The text will appear slowly like it was written in a typewriter (I hope you understand what I mean).

gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 11:29:58 AM »

Ooh I really love the art style for this!
voltaicore
Level 0

Audio engineer who also produces eclectic tunes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 07:07:48 PM »

If you need any 8bit tracks for this project let me know!

-Keith
Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 05:03:15 AM »

If you need any 8bit tracks for this project let me know!
Thank's for the offer, but I already promised my friend he can do the music!

Everytime you finish a stage a ghost will appear to the map. It means if you enter the stage, you have to face more challenging ghost form of the original boss. Anyway, I made a ghost sprite. It was supposed to float, not dance, but this animation is too cool to be removed:

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 01:35:27 AM »

Some people have complained that the crystals can be mixed up with bullets, so I removed the black outlines (and added white outlines to the bullets, like I mentioned earlier):

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 02:20:07 AM »

Anyway, here's the actual new content of the day:

It's art for the second stage. The upcoming first demo will only have the first stage, but the player will be still able to enter this stage. But there will be no enemies, only text that says "Coming soon!".

(NOTE: I'll probably replace the sand (that thing above the ground) graphic with something better)

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »

This is what the desert stage looks like in-game, with the TV monitor and scanlines effects enabled:

The demo 1 is mostly finished, it just needs the sound effects and the music (if my musician is not too lazy).

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 11:01:21 AM »

After a few hours of work, I finally managed to add sound effects to the game. It took some effort since I haven't used Allegro's audio addon many times before. I also added support for music, and now there are already two tracks in the game! I'm still not going to release the first demo/alpha version until I have all the required music. It might take some time since my composer tends to be a bit lazy or he just have uncreative periods.

Anyway, I now started working on the first enemy for the second stage. I have nothing to show yet, though, but I just wanted to say the first demo probably has two stages instead of one like I said before.

EDIT:
Here's an enemy sprite:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:39:25 AM by Jani_Nykanen » Logged

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 12:53:45 AM »

More enemy sprites for the stage 2:

It's a pink cat. It attacks from behind, but when it hits the right side, it will turn around and start shooting worms from its... uh, mouth.

This monster will behave like the wrench bug in the stage 1, but they will appear in a group and shoot wrenches more frequently.

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 06:50:10 AM »

Finished the fourth and the final enemy in the stage 2:

I'm not sure do I want to start programming the enemies today, or if I just draw the sprite of the second boss (or just play The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth...).

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »

Here's a chaotic screenshot of the stage 2:

It still lacks of one enemy (the cat). Note: I replaced that blue fish-like flying thing with that turquoise thing.

Jani_Nykanen
Level 0

Please, go away.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »

I replaced the sprite of that pink cat-looking thing with a better one (one that looks better in movement):

And the new monster in the action:

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »

Love the style, posting to follow.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic