Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:15:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWorking on an online portfolio... what do you guys think?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Working on an online portfolio... what do you guys think?  (Read 1333 times)
matwek
« on: November 26, 2015, 02:54:19 AM »

As the tile suggests, I've just finished the first draft of my online portfolio.
It would be cool if I could get some feedback from you guys to let me know what you think? What I did well and what needs improving.

I'm happy to take all critique, good or bad.

http://matwek.wix.com/matwek-portfolio

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:42:04 AM by matwek » Logged
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:51:29 AM »

Hey, your work is really cool.

Long text blocks on picture backgrounds is never a good idea (as in your introduction page), it's too hard to read and also gives an unprofessional vibe in contrast to your beautiful work.

The blue tones you've chosen for background colors are a tad saturated, again text becomes hard to read, and it doesn't let your work pop up because it appears too shiny (or bright in some cases). I would choose a less saturated color, also would change it's brightness: Increase or decrease according to what stands in front of them, so that it would clash less with that element (whether it's text or image).

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »

I don't like that there is immediately a popup asking if I want to join your mailing list before I can even view your art.

verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »

The pixel art is great.

It's all good.
matwek
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 06:30:12 AM »

Hey, your work is really cool.

Long text blocks on picture backgrounds is never a good idea (as in your introduction page), it's too hard to read and also gives an unprofessional vibe in contrast to your beautiful work.

Thanks,
Good advice. I'll get that changed in the near future.

I don't like that there is immediately a popup asking if I want to join your mailing list before I can even view your art.
Really? Not cool.
I don't even have a mailing list setup. That must be some left over thing from the websites template, I'll have to get that removed.
Thanks
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »

A good, professional looking picture of yourself could help stablish credibility and a professional perception of your work. It might sound nit picky, but I know for a fact that a professional pic was an important contributing factor in at least one gig I got. 

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 03:14:12 PM »

Hi Matt,

Good design overall. I think you want to have more of your best work front and center. It's 2016, everyone has internet-acquired ADD (yes that's the medical term). A good portfolio needs to capture attention immediately. Having to scroll in order to see anything and then click through to see the rest gives people time to lose interest.

The wall of text should probably live in an "about" section or further down on the page.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 05:30:48 AM »

I really like your art.

Regarding the website itself, I agree with UmutD

Also, I can't really put my finger on it but the site feels a bit unprofessional (website only...I want to reiterate that your art is very good).

Some thoughts
  • Your 'Home' page is very different to your 'Pixel Art' and 'Design Work' pages. Feels a bit inconsistent
  • Those two large circle images on your 'Home' page lead to your other two pages which you've already got links to on your menu bar so it's reduntant. If you scroll further down you've got some trailers which feels a bit random. What I suggest is to keep your 'Home' pages as short as possible. If possible make it short enough so that the user doesn't have to scroll down to see any additional content. The home page should just be a short description of who you are and what the site is about. Users can click on the menu links at the top to access that content. I would remove everything from the Homepage other than your intro and contact information (move the trailers to a new page with new menu link)
  • I think you should try to make the menu links more prominent so it's easier to notice. Thicker font, text encased in a button or frame...etc.
  • Like UmutD mentioned, the large block of text on your home page is hard to read because it's written over the background.
  • I would suggest making a thumbnail gallery in your Pixel Art page. Currently, you have to scroll way down to see everything, and the page looks messy because all the images are different sizes. A gallery should make that page look neater and more consistent. And people can preview all your work without having to scroll down at all.

Please take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I'm pretty awful at making websites myself  Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic