Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:32:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRifter - Out NOW on Steam! :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Rifter - Out NOW on Steam! :)  (Read 28124 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2016, 01:51:49 PM »

Played about 15-20 minutes. Satisfying grapple mechanics.
Great enemy "attack cone" visuals - the gradient that clutters but doesn't obstruct the screen is nice.

Disappointments: Where's omni-directional airdashing? I came in hoping I could airdash like a madman after grapple hooks, but no dice.. it's limited to set pieces. I think you would get a lot more value out if you let players do their own airdashes from the air. Swing the mouse to curve them if you want that curve around the corner effect. Still very mobile but I felt limited when I came in -- the first thing I tried was jumping and mashing the airdash button Sad

Plus it would make me feel like I'm solving your levels not just following the path.. it would let speedrunners compete by just not knowing if there was a faster air-dash path out there.

I like the air-dash into enemy mechanic - that's cool.

"Combo" bonus for hitting the 3 dashes around the triangle feels like a distracting minigame.. I recommend combining combo with your achievements so that your combo increases each time you hit a new grapple point that you haven't touched before and ends if you touch the ground. I want to make 20 sick moves in a row and have the game acknowledge that, not just acknowledge my skill of triple-tapping my mouse button to aird ash for a Combo-3.

The UI was a bit to figure out - having to rotate the planet & there's a couple grapple points below the starting ledge in water that made me think there's a secret but nope -- a more novice player could feel stuck there. Listing Airdashing in the controls -- if you go with the current mechanic it would make more sense to call it "Homing Attack" so I know to use it at enemies & in special contexts.

Ok, that's everything negative I've got for you. Positive - this game is a lot of fun and is pretty close to what I was hoping for from the trailers. Fantastic work! I would pay $ for this, definitely.

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2016, 02:26:17 AM »

Awesome feedback, thanks quantumpotato! Smiley I'll try to comment on some of your negative feedback.

Disappointments: Where's omni-directional airdashing? I came in hoping I could airdash like a madman after grapple hooks, but no dice.. it's limited to set pieces. I think you would get a lot more value out if you let players do their own airdashes from the air. Swing the mouse to curve them if you want that curve around the corner effect. Still very mobile but I felt limited when I came in -- the first thing I tried was jumping and mashing the airdash button Sad

Plus it would make me feel like I'm solving your levels not just following the path.. it would let speedrunners compete by just not knowing if there was a faster air-dash path out there.
I prototyped a lot regarding this, including omni-directional airdashing (i.e. ability to dash anywhere). But this was a nightmare regarding level design. Players were able to get anywhere they wanted, often circumventing puzzles/traps/obstacles I placed in the level. I was spending most of my time having to think about where players could go and restricting them when necessary. Then I experimented with things like refilling dash-meters and the like, but nothing great came out of it.  Sad I wish I could allow players to dash whenever they want, it would give much more agency... but also destroy the game.  Shocked
Where I stand now is: dashing is the "discrete" motion, hooking/roping is the continuous motion. When a player dashes through a dash-point, I know exactly where they will be afterwards. This allows me to craft levels much more carefully. Hooking on the other side is very wild: players can do all kinds of things with that mechanic that can get them to different places.

I like the air-dash into enemy mechanic - that's cool.
Thanks!  Beer!

"Combo" bonus for hitting the 3 dashes around the triangle feels like a distracting minigame.. I recommend combining combo with your achievements so that your combo increases each time you hit a new grapple point that you haven't touched before and ends if you touch the ground. I want to make 20 sick moves in a row and have the game acknowledge that, not just acknowledge my skill of triple-tapping my mouse button to aird ash for a Combo-3.
Yeah, the combo system is still lackluster (as well as the triangle minigame-like obstacle you mentioned). What IS actually in the game (and I like) is that the combo only end once you land on ground. So as long as you stay in the air via dashing and hooking, your combo stays. But currently, only air-dashing through an enemy increases the combo. This works in parts where there are multiple enemies in reachable proximity, but doesn't make as much sense in the example you gave. The idea with additional elements (hook- and dash-points)  giving combo increases is really good though, I will think about that! Smiley

The UI was a bit to figure out - having to rotate the planet
Level select/planet screen is very much WIP Smiley

there's a couple grapple points below the starting ledge in water that made me think there's a secret but nope -- a more novice player could feel stuck there.
That's a very interesting topic. Like you, quite a few playtesters reported that they were looking for secrets and were disappointed that there are none. The problem/fear I have with adding secrets in the classical sense is that once a player finds one, they will start playing the game much differently: they would probably go left first, dive into the water and swim to the edge of the map every time they can. This would make for a very boring experience IMHO. Also, they would play the levels much more slowly, looking for a secret, when I want them to move quickly.
My current plan is this: have "secrets" pop up in already beaten levels. After a player beats a certain level, he/she gets notified that a secret has popped up in level XY. The player may decide to go back to XY and look for it then. Once the concept is established, I hope that players don't go searching for secrets on their first play of a level, but only when being told "Hey, there's something hidden there, maybe go find it?". I'd probably not even make the secret visible beforehand. This hopefully solves the problem of always looking for secrets AND gives level replayability... in theory at least  Shrug

Listing Airdashing in the controls -- if you go with the current mechanic it would make more sense to call it "Homing Attack" so I know to use it at enemies & in special contexts.
Good idea, will do! Smiley

Ok, that's everything negative I've got for you. Positive - this game is a lot of fun and is pretty close to what I was hoping for from the trailers. Fantastic work! I would pay $ for this, definitely.
Thanks a lot for playing and your encouraging words. I really hope to sell this game at some point, so telling me you'd pay money for this is  Corny Laugh Corny Laugh Corny Laugh

Currently:

Released games: Nubs' Adventure | Rico
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2016, 02:02:52 PM »

Yeah it's fun! Appeals to my need-for-speed that is hard to find games that do that. I've been playing Tremulous & Devil Daggers lately.. love to move quickly.
Regarding airdashing - I gotcha. I would recommend renaming it to Homing Attack or Lock on Smash or something, or change the Controls Help to say "Near Target" and show a picture of the dash targets & an enemy

Regarding Combo ending when you land - cool. Have you looked at incrementing combo each time a new (never been grabbed or dashed before) point/enemy/surface is hit? I think it would give a great scoring mechanic mid-level.

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2016, 03:33:00 AM »

I've been working on visual enemy designs that look good AND I can produce properly. I currently create simple 3D models that I apply a wireframe shader to... looks interesting, but hopefully not too noisy.  Smiley

One issue I have/had was how to properly tell the player that he/she cleared the current wave. I now added a slow-motion effect that triggers when the player kills the last enemy of a wave. And I have the time to show a quick "Wave complete" message.

Regarding Combo ending when you land - cool. Have you looked at incrementing combo each time a new (never been grabbed or dashed before) point/enemy/surface is hit? I think it would give a great scoring mechanic mid-level.
I started implementing this and it feels... awesome! I'll definitely keep this. You can even see it in the video. Still combo-able dash/hook points have a small particle effect that tells the player this. Thanks for the suggestion! Beer!

Currently:

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2016, 09:04:24 AM »

I've been working on visual enemy designs that look good AND I can produce properly. I currently create simple 3D models that I apply a wireframe shader to... looks interesting, but hopefully not too noisy.  Smiley

One issue I have/had was how to properly tell the player that he/she cleared the current wave. I now added a slow-motion effect that triggers when the player kills the last enemy of a wave. And I have the time to show a quick "Wave complete" message.

I started implementing this and it feels... awesome! I'll definitely keep this. You can even see it in the video. Still combo-able dash/hook points have a small particle effect that tells the player this. Thanks for the suggestion! Beer!

Yay, awesome!

Btw you need to edit your post to show

in the url, not the youtu.be. Those fat enemies are looking slick, and I'm liking the arrangement of designer-set dash points in conjunction with combat a lot more than just movement.

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »

I'm liking the new enemies, and the slow-mo looks really slick -- I like it a lot!
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2016, 06:44:32 AM »

New demo time!  Smiley

>>> Download it here! (Windows exe, 64bit, ~96MB) <<<
>>> Download it here! (Mac app, 64bit, ~96MB) <<<

I am worked hard to turn this release into a coherent package, sort of like a lengthy demo. Some noteworthy things:
  • I FINALLY settled on a name: "Rifter"! Hope that stays...  Smiley
  • Completing the levels (of which there are 29) is now only half the content. There's also challenges to beat and secrets to find.
  • Lots of new visuals, including the new enemy design and various renderings.
  • Improved 60 fps logic. Until recently, I had the game logic running at 30 FPS, but rendering at 60. Now, both run at 60, which should make the game more responsive and smoother to control.
  • Made the player character even more agile in certain cases. Swinging now gives more momentum, so you can fling yourself even farther. Also, the character sticks to walls now and can also climb up a ledge
  • Improved menus and settings, including gamepad support

Tell me what you think! Smiley Beer!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:53:46 AM by maxl » Logged

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »

Wohooo, I finally got myself an itch.io page where I will host the demos going forward. Smiley

>>> https://imake-games.itch.io/rifter <<<

Gomez

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »

Been trying to create good looking GIFs that show what the game is about in just a few seconds. It's not easy to get good quality (resolution, framerate, color count), while keeping the file size small enough. I've been having some decent results with a program called GIF Brewery. Here's an example:

Shrug

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »

Working on a new enemy type: proximity mines. Also new: improved finish level screen with proper scoring Smiley

Happy new year everyone!  Beer!

Currently:

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2017, 12:14:07 PM »

Maxi you posted a private video

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »

Maxi you posted a private video
Ouch! Thanks! Fixed!  Toast Right

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »

Been trying to come up with good (good-looking while small) GIFs again lately. Here's one:

Smiley

Currently:

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »

That last gif is beautiful! The visuals have come so far it is astounding!

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2017, 07:21:27 AM »

That last gif is beautiful! The visuals have come so far it is astounding!
Beer! I'm constantly working on improving the visuals and the game's "juicyness". Glad you notice it Smiley

Currently:

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »

Fans of this, check out Swang https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60071.0

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2017, 04:36:18 AM »

Hello folks Smiley

The shooting mechanics are getting juiced up and feel much nicer already. Here's me in a test level fighting against a bunch of enemies:

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:38 AM »

I just released a new demo that features A TON of improvements through feedback from playtesters. I'd be really glad if you would check it out and give me the precious feedback that I so desire:

https://imake-games.itch.io/rifter (itch.io, Windows and Mac builds)

If you make it to the end, you may get killed by a giant worm:

Shrug

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »

For the first third of the game I've surely entered the dreaded last 20%. Doing dozens of tiny improvements, each costing me only a bit of time but they add up to so much.  Epileptic An enemy design improvement here, a balance change there, a few broken visuals here, small bugfixes there.  Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right

So have a new gameplay video:

Gomez

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »

Today I finally replaced the static background image with a proper 3D skysphere. This captures the feeling of being on an actual planet much better! The old way of rendering the background also prevented me from tilting the camera because it was drawn so weirdly (unprojecting from screen to world coordinates to find the screen corners, then drawing a textured quad there). Now that that's out of the way, I can move the camera more freely and do more cinematic stuff. Smiley

Here's a video (make it fullscreen and HD to see it properly):

Blink Blink

Currently:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic