Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:15:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRifter - Out NOW on Steam! :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Rifter - Out NOW on Steam! :)  (Read 28146 times)
Tanner Fruit Fly
Level 0

Tanner sticks the pen up his nose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:38 AM »

I've always loved swinging games, and this one looks like it'd be an insanely good time. Loving the way you've integrated the 3D crystal formations into what would have been a traditionally 2D game. The flat and 3D juxtapose each other nicely.

Also, I have yet to play your game, but it doesn't seem too fast to me at all just from what I'm looking at. I feel like that just adds to the learning curve of the game, if anything. Keep up the great work  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

[Check out the "This Is Jim" book on Gumroad! Head over to my devlog for a discounted promo code Wink]
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »

People have told me they think the game is too fast right now... and they might have a point:

Hand Joystick Shrug
Nah! It looks good. Grin Similar to driving in a busy city.  For those that never done any driving, all that looks chaotic but once you practice enough, it becomes second nature.

However, if you want to look at some crazy swinging action, check out: Remnants of Naezith Teaser: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=50838.msg1187709#msg1187709 

Especially, the part at @1:30.  That made my head spin (pun intended).  Shocked

Though, as that developer mentioned, that video is intended to be a speedrunner's version and you don't have to be that good to finish the levels.  The part with the laser is supposed to come later and hopefully by that time you've reasonable mastered the swinging.  We'll see. Smiley

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 10:12:44 AM »

Doesn't look too fast to me.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Remynfv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »

This looks great! :D I've been looking for a game like this!
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »

Thanks guys, that's really encouraging! Maybe I'm not that far off of a cool game Beer!

Currently:

Released games: Nubs' Adventure | Rico
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »

Looks really fun! I think the speed of the game makes it seem really cool, although I don't know how difficult it would be to play it.
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2016, 03:14:23 AM »

I've wanted to work on the depth perception for the longest time and now I finally had an idea how to improve it: adding a sea! This both creates a visual horizon and solves the problem of how to confine the levels nicely I think. Here's how it looks:

Currently:

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2016, 07:22:07 AM »

Glowing stuff looks fancy! I'm glad to see a game with hook mechanic Smiley I will be around! Tongue

Keep us updated! (btw why do you hate birds this much?)

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »

The sea is a great addition! I like the way this is coming together, there's a tonne of potential for challenging levels and fun multiplayer shenanigans. Looking good!

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 06:29:24 AM »

btw why do you hate birds this much?
I don't hate them THAT much... just a little Wink

The sea is a great addition! I like the way this is coming together, there's a tonne of potential for challenging levels and fun multiplayer shenanigans. Looking good!
Thank you very much!  Smiley

I'm really in love with the idea of the sea that the game plays on. It adds a sense of depth, can be woven into the story (which I'm tinkering with, but haven't released anything yet) and solves the problem of constraining the map. No more invisible walls or artificial map borders. However, there are a few problems to solve yet, mostly rendering related. But also, how big I make the sea mesh. Nothing breaks the illusion of a big ocean more than seeing where it ends! :D

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2016, 03:52:37 PM »

This is what debugging the network code currently looks like:

Turned off damage, but left on particle effects... for fun!  Grin Gomez

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2016, 05:43:07 AM »

Another take at the speedrun level. I want to find out IF the game has potential for time-attack based levels, where players can compete over the fastest time.

Also, DAMN LASERS!  Angry Wink

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »

Started working on inside areas, which made me realize how boring and lifeless the game still looks!  Lips Sealed Gotta work on that too!

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2016, 11:28:24 AM »

I made the switch to proper 60 FPS rendering.

The game does 30 logic ticks per second, so all the physics and all the other stuff gets updated this often. Before, I was rendering 60 times per second, but I didn't do any visual interpolation, so the framerate was effectively 30, as I was drawing the same logical state twice. Implementing frame interpolation solves this, as it calculates the intermediate state between two logical frames and draws that. Looks SOOOO much smoother now!

So much, that I don't understand how It didn't bother me much before.  Shrug Looking at it now, it makes a world of difference!
Here's a video (be sure to watch it at 1080p60 or 720p60 if you want to see it):

For a game that is supposed to be all about fluent movement, it's about time I switched to 60 fps!  Wink

Also, I'm switching names: trying out the name "Grappling Fling", which I think has a cool ring to it. I'll keep it for a while and see if I grow fond or tired of it. :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:28:37 PM by maxl » Logged

Currently:

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »

Since the player will be swinging a lot, I thought that perhaps "Swing Fling" could be an alternative.  However, there seems to be a kids game and some other parties with the same title though.

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »

Since the player will be swinging a lot, I thought that perhaps "Swing Fling" could be an alternative.  However, there seems to be a kids game and some other parties with the same title though.
I feel like it's SO hard to come up with something that's NOT suggestive in any way! :D I'm not an English native speaker so I'm constantly doubting myself, googling and using the urban dictionary to check if the names I come up with are nothing sexual.
"Swing Fling" seems to be dancing related as well. I like the name on its own, but it seems to have too many meanings already.  Sad

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, though! "Swing" is definitely a term I might use.  Beer!

Currently:

SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »

Saw one of your sample movies and the game looks super fun. Best of luck and Ill be watching!

-Tim

TheCams
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2016, 04:06:44 AM »

I love the art style Smiley
Are you generating the levels or is it done by hand?
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2016, 06:25:15 AM »

I love the art style Smiley
Are you generating the levels or is it done by hand?
Thanks! Smiley

The levels are created by hand, but many parts are automated, like the ground triangulation. I basically just have to specify a polygon and the triangulation is done in code. Combining that with polygon operations (union, difference, ...), it allows me to quickly create levels in the in-game mapeditor. I made a GIF that shows how that looks:

Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:33:25 AM by maxl » Logged

Currently:

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2016, 06:53:59 AM »

This looks so sweet. Hope you don't mind me making an offtopic question. How do you embed the videos? I didn't think that was possible before... What's the shortcode?

On STEAM ยป
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic