Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:24:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat is the best way to monetize free game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is the best way to monetize free game?  (Read 3134 times)
thunderbird
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:13:44 PM »

My friend and I developed a car racing game. It is a single use car racing game running on Windows XP/vista. We are going to release it in two weeks. We plan to offer it as free game. If we offer it for free, what is the best way to monetize it?

The blog

http://bionicoder.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/three-ways-to-monetize-freeware/

lists three popular ways to monetize freeware. Obviously we can not use service model because no service is provided. So our choice is between ad-supported and attracting traffic.

We considered to use this free game to attract user traffic to our web site. But some friends said those traffic may be useless if the traffic is mainly for downloading game.  In your opinion, What is the best way?

I am looking forward to hearing your opinion. Thanks a lot!

ThunderBird
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »

Do you think people will like the game enough to purchase T-shirts, posters, mugs, and the like?

If not, I don't think you'll be able to get money from them directly, so you'll want to consider ads or taking donations.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »

Putting ads up on your game's website is probably the best bet for making money off it. Don't overdo it though. If people will have to wade through countless pages of ads before getting to the download they'll get it elsewhere or just WON'T get it.
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »

The best way to monetize a free game is to charge for it.  The quality of freeware on the internet has risen tremendously in the past few years, and it's gotten harder to make money off of free games.  If you want to make money, I suggest you spend some time making a commercial game.

Putting ads up on your game's website is probably the best bet for making money off it.

Ads are worthless nowadays.  Unless you have a website that is getting thousands of hits a day, you probably won't even get accepted into an ad service.  There's always Google Ads, but those make even less, and you probably wouldn't even make enough to reach t he minimum payout amount.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »

Get it up on some freeware game portal sites that handle the ads and stuff for you as a possibility?

I like turtles.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »

I'm definitely not earning as much through Google Ads as I used to, and I never really used to earn all that much. But if you're offering it as a free game and it's not made in Flash, ads (in one form or another) are pretty much your only option for monetizing.

2beegames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:38:12 AM »

If your website is going to have compelling content that will attract users to return then it might work out. Otherwise maybe you should consider the shareware approach?
Found this link which may be helpful. http://studioeres.com/games/content/tutorial-how-sell-games-shareware
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »

Happy people are linking to that article I wrote. No idea it'd be that popular when I wrote it; I thought most of it was common knowledge and was mainly writing it for the GMC community, which consists mostly of younger people.

Anyway, yes, monetizing "free" games seems like an oxymoron to me, unless it's a Flash game. But either you want to make money from a downloadable game, or you don't. If you do, charge for it; if you don't, give it away for free. Doing it in a compromising "free but..." manner hasn't really worked for people who have tried it, with the exception of hugely popular games like Dwarf Fortress which can rely just on donations.

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »

The best way to monetize a free game is to charge for it.  The quality of freeware on the internet has risen tremendously in the past few years...

...if the free games are getting better, doesn't that mean fewer people will pay for one?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »

Not necessarily. The quality of free internet (in libraries, cafes, etc.) has gone up over the years. But that doesn't mean that fewer people are willing to pay for the internet.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic