Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:24:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScarf: Walking with Souls
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Scarf: Walking with Souls  (Read 24981 times)
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2016, 07:06:57 AM »

nice to meet you at Gamelab!

Please, check our project too Wink

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »

Those environments are just jaw dropping. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
Uprising Studios
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »

nice to meet you at Gamelab!

It was great gamelab! Thank you for dropping by. Smiley

Those environments are just jaw dropping. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Well thank you, glad you like it!

__

Guys, one question. As it is our first devlog we're not sure of one thing: would you change the first post and keep it updated with every new update?
Or, as we're doing now, just post the new posts?

Uprising Studios
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »

Hey guys.
It's been more that two weeks.
We've been busy after Gamelab improving the prototype (mostly Map Design), and we think we've finished.
We want to make a trailer now, but it's going to take us some time.
We were testing dynamic lights and wind too Smiley 

We'll talk soon  about the map design and hopefully about the trailer!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

Those self assembling rocks are just beautiful!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »

We were testing dynamic lights and wind too Smiley 

I wonder about the wind effect.  I mean, is the scarf going to follow the wind?  If the wind is gentle enough then the scarf's direction would only change slightly but with really strong back wind, it would need to be in front of the character.  Otherwise, that might seem strange if it isn't indicated somehow that it's a "magic scarf" that can defy the laws of physics.

Uprising Studios
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2016, 05:30:23 AM »

Those self assembling rocks are just beautiful!

Thanks! Smiley

I wonder about the wind effect.  I mean, is the scarf going to follow the wind?  If the wind is gentle enough then the scarf's direction would only change slightly but with really strong back wind, it would need to be in front of the character.  Otherwise, that might seem strange if it isn't indicated somehow that it's a "magic scarf" that can defy the laws of physics.

Well, first of all, to clarify: that was our first test with strong wind! But you've bring an interesting matter which we'll have to think more about, definitively.
Right now, what we think is that the Scarf will follow physics. So if the scarf has to be in front of the character eventually, it'll be.
What we've thought for the wind in the game at this point is that it will be used in key moments, so it is going to be controlled and we'll decide about the behavior then, having in mind all that you've said.
Despite all of that, I have to say that the scarf is indeed "magic", so we could justify some things in that sense (not everything of course, but due to the origin of the scarf there could be some behaviors that yes). But if this is finally the case we will explain everything about it during the game, as we are fan of giving logical answers inside the game. Smiley

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »

Well, first of all, to clarify: that was our first test with strong wind! But you've bring an interesting matter which we'll have to think more about, definitively.
Right now, what we think is that the Scarf will follow physics. So if the scarf has to be in front of the character eventually, it'll be.
What we've thought for the wind in the game at this point is that it will be used in key moments, so it is going to be controlled and we'll decide about the behavior then, having in mind all that you've said.
Despite all of that, I have to say that the scarf is indeed "magic", so we could justify some things in that sense (not everything of course, but due to the origin of the scarf there could be some behaviors that yes). But if this is finally the case we will explain everything about it during the game, as we are fan of giving logical answers inside the game. Smiley
Sounds good! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right 

Speaking of magical objects, one of the suggested videos at the end of your test video was:  Magic Carpet

Of course, the fans in the scene provide the logical answer.  Nonetheless, it is interesting to watch and is inspirational in terms of modelling and creating similar cloth movement in a video game.

Uprising Studios
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2016, 12:39:36 AM »

Sounds good! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right 

Speaking of magical objects, one of the suggested videos at the end of your test video was:  Magic Carpet

Of course, the fans in the scene provide the logical answer.  Nonetheless, it is interesting to watch and is inspirational in terms of modelling and creating similar cloth movement in a video game.

That video is awesome! Thanks for pointing that out.
David, our Lead Artist (whom shouted "that's what we need!!") sends you a big hug!  Beer!

andeeri
Level 0

Manager and designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »

Really love this game art! Cheer Guys Beer!

Making some awesome games at mobile and pc. Atm working pc project called Nyheim.

-Wannabe hippy at day, pokemon trainer at night!
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »

That video is awesome! Thanks for pointing that out.
David, our Lead Artist (whom shouted "that's what we need!!") sends you a big hug!  Beer!
You're welcome!  It's a *lucky* find for both of us. Smiley

In case you haven't seen it, there're more videos on his account: https://www.youtube.com/user/danielwurtzel/videos
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:26:14 AM by io3 creations » Logged

next2indies
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »

Hey guys, nice to meet you at Gamelab, hope you had a nice trip back to home :D

Uprising Studios
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2016, 01:31:51 AM »

Hi!
We’re back from holidays!
Sorry for not having written for so long. After Gamelab we made a sprint in order to polish the demo and after that we really needed some time off.
We’re back on track now and we’re working on the trailer.

First of all we want to tell some things about the final results of the demo.
We found out, with some testing, that we needed to make some improvements for everyone to understand how they should play the demo. I’ll explain.
At the beginning we have an open map, you’ll need to go to three different areas in order to complete the demo and we thought at the time that with the visual information we provided it was done. Not even close.
The terrain was too big, and many people get lost while playing. So we redesign the map…again.
We manage to make things more clear by:

- making the first test impossible to not see it, as a tutorial for the two other areas. You stumble upon that at the beginning, so it’s crystal clear now.

- reducing the map, but more important, closing the map with a big lake which prevents everyone to get lost in the scenario. Now you have only two paths, one for each area of interest.

- amplifying the visual help, with some level design and the use of color. We use the red color in the game as a sign for the things you have to do and the places you are supposed to go to. As you can see in the next picture, the red color is showing the player where to go, and what is the path (red flowers on the ground).

Here are some pictures of the final stage of the game:

So back to the trailer. We’re working on it and we will show it soon. We are trying some things like this for the beginning:

gif1

gif2

Hope you like it!

______Edit______

Don't know why gifs stop working, so I leave here videos of the two gifs:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:09:25 AM by Uprising Studios » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2016, 10:11:45 AM »

I've seen a few other posts about how to guide players on a level.  The lake idea and splitting the path is a good one!  I'm sure I'll be able to use that concept in some form! Smiley

The gifs are "not working" because the gif image file sizes are small and likely consist of a single frame only.

Uprising Studios
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2016, 03:14:35 AM »

I've seen a few other posts about how to guide players on a level.  The lake idea and splitting the path is a good one!  I'm sure I'll be able to use that concept in some form! Smiley

The gifs are "not working" because the gif image file sizes are small and likely consist of a single frame only.

Thank you!
Well, hope the videos work the same!

We have updated our website by the way. We believe now it's more representative!

Feel free to check it out and tell us anything!
https://uprising-studios.com/

Some pictures here:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:26:34 PM by Uprising Studios » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »

Yeah, the videos work fine. Smiley

For me, I would move the website url nearby "We have updated our website by the way."  I was expecting it near there and since I didn't see it, I thought that perhaps the image will link there.  If I hadn't scrolled down, I might have missed it.

On the website, if I narrow the browser window (on a computer), then the Connect icons (YouTube, Twitter, etc) seem to get a larger "hit box" and only one is visible on screen and have to scroll down to see the others.  While not all icons may fit on some screen resolutions horizontally, I'd still prefer to see the icons closer together. Assuming it isn't just a computer web browser related issue.

Uprising Studios
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2016, 12:00:44 AM »

Yeah, the videos work fine. Smiley

For me, I would move the website url nearby "We have updated our website by the way."  I was expecting it near there and since I didn't see it, I thought that perhaps the image will link there.  If I hadn't scrolled down, I might have missed it.

Corrected!

On the website, if I narrow the browser window (on a computer), then the Connect icons (YouTube, Twitter, etc) seem to get a larger "hit box" and only one is visible on screen and have to scroll down to see the others.  While not all icons may fit on some screen resolutions horizontally, I'd still prefer to see the icons closer together. Assuming it isn't just a computer web browser related issue.

We didn't notice that! Thank you.
We'll write down this for corrections.
Smiley

Uprising Studios
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2016, 12:10:08 AM »

We have a trailer!
We have finished the trailer after a lot of work. Hope you like it guys!

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2016, 12:11:18 AM »

cool !

My last game:

Supporter of
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile