Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:28:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsDoes Anybody Know of a Good Non-Linear Level Design Tutorial?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Does Anybody Know of a Good Non-Linear Level Design Tutorial?  (Read 1500 times)
gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »

I've been working on a non-linear game and I've been having a really hard time with level design.  A lot of my game is ending up very uninteresting and the difficulty has wild jumps.  A tutorial for linear level design would probably help too but it would be great if there was one specifically for non-linear level design.  I've looked around for them but all of the tutorials on level design I've found are about the technical aspect, and that's not what I'm looking for.
robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »

For level design in general this is the best talk i`ve found:
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1305/Everything-I-Learned-About-Level

It really depends in your game, this is more about dungeons design, but there is a lot of good stuff:
https://bankuei.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/dungeons-theory-and-design/

gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »

Thanks!  I'll look at those!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »

The first section of Super House of Dead Ninjas is a great tool in nonlinear level design. Have one "obvious" path be the SMB-esque tutorial path, and then just have a shortcut that directs you straight past it, requiring that you do something simple that proves you know your shit already.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic