Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:54:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Anyone interested into gameart Comp?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone interested into gameart Comp?  (Read 1537 times)
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »

I was wondering if i would be alone to do this; i thought it my be interesting to do a rendition of game art. A bit in the vein of the character rendition thread but to expand it to a simple game.
I explain my idea.
we start with lets say an arkanoid type game, so basically you have to do the art for it; your own way  but with some constraint like using only 32x32 tile and 64x32 for the pad etc but for the rest, its a free for all.
The goal is to keep it simple, unless you want to make it complicated Grin
So no 3D, no MMORPG-gargantuesk-amount-of-art-asset to create.

Basically its a "what if" you were the Art Director behind tetris, pong, arkanoid, what would it look like? a gore quakey them for Tetris? an organic level for Pong?  you get the idea.
I dunno why but a art comp could be fun for those who can code or use gameMaker/MMF/Construct and thus cannot enter normal comp.
And yeah i have to say it, i had this idea after the "when polygon and pixel make love" thread and after i saw the tetris clone "Stacker" by  one of TIG user.
I'm really sorry i can't remember is name.
So i'm i the only guys dumb enough to find it fun or we can try it?

is you are interrested you can pitch in some idea.

Available for Freelance
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 05:45:21 AM »

I was wondering if i would be alone to do this; i thought it my be interesting to do a rendition of game art. A bit in the vein of the character rendition thread but to expand it to a simple game.
I explain my idea.
we start with lets say an arkanoid type game, so basically you have to do the art for it; your own way  but with some constraint like using only 32x32 tile and 64x32 for the pad etc but for the rest, its a free for all.
The goal is to keep it simple, unless you want to make it complicated Grin
So no 3D, no MMORPG-gargantuesk-amount-of-art-asset to create.

Basically its a "what if" you were the Art Director behind tetris, pong, arkanoid, what would it look like? a gore quakey them for Tetris? an organic level for Pong?  you get the idea.
I dunno why but a art comp could be fun for those who can code or use gameMaker/MMF/Construct and thus cannot enter normal comp.
And yeah i have to say it, i had this idea after the "when polygon and pixel make love" thread and after i saw the tetris clone "Stacker" by  one of TIG user.
I'm really sorry i can't remember is name.
So i'm i the only guys dumb enough to find it fun or we can try it?

is you are interrested you can pitch in some idea.

very nice idea, though I'd say we'd have a compo/collaboration-like thing where everyone takes a basic game concepts and adds something interesting into it. Like Pong with organic level, or tetris with rpg elements. This kind of mix-up games would be quite awesome, indeed.

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »

yeah i get you point but from what i notice the collaboration rely most of the time on a programmer work. This comp/challenge rely only on artist. No find someone to work with,  wait till he fix this or this bug etc. But again it by no mean a discrimination against programmer, i mean i would be more than happy if so c++ guys jump int  Cool
And the organic pong and rpg tetris were only idea, i expect you guys to come with crazier stuff   Evil

Available for Freelance
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »

more compos  Crazy

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: