Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:20:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 34 (Dec 11th - 14th)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 34 (Dec 11th - 14th)  (Read 18190 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »

I'm making the thread again, because I'm kool like that. Some eight days left this time! Who's in? I'm always in. It's a good habit.

Seems the theme voting looks different this time but works more or less in the same way. I haven't really looked at the actual themes yet. But oooh, they allow you to go back to something if you misclicked or changed your mind a few seconds later. I really needed this last time! Let's vote~

Seeing as some people asked what LD is last time, here's an explanation.

You vote for a theme (or you don't and just accept the theme that wins in the end) in the days running up to the event, and then based on that theme or keyword you get 48 or 72 hours (plus a submission hour) to make a game (48 hours is referred to as compo and 72 as jam and they have different rules — jam is more relaxed and you're allowed to work in a team — so make sure you read the rules on the website first).

When the time is up, a couple of weeks of playing games and rating them (only people who submitted their own games can do this) commences, and if you want to get ratings yourself you need to do this (I failed to do so last time).

You don't win anything beyond good ratings at best, but it's fun and you always grow a little bit as a developer, as does your portfolio!

Finally, link (you need to register on the site to be able to vote and submit, so I recommend doing this in good time before having to post your game): http://ludumdare.com/compo/

Remember that you need to host your game yourself — the LD website does not provide this. Also you need to make it work at least on web or Windows (I think?) to be allowed to submit your game.

Hashtags used on Twitter tend to be #LD48 or #LD72 depending on which one you are doing, as well as the number of the current LD, so #LD34 this time, and possibly also #ludumdare. Official Twitter account says to use #LDJAM.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:15:11 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 02:45:05 AM »

I will most likely participate to try out Elm with WebGL. Also, I really hope for a theme which is not mechanics related.
Tselmek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 11:15:13 AM »

I'm hyped for it, always excited to see what I'll be able to make and what other participants will come up with. No audio guy with me this time around, unless I can find someone before it starts this weekend.

Good luck to all of you Darers!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 05:37:58 AM »

Round 4 is thoroughly disappointing so let's hope for an interesting final round now!

Pockets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »

Hey, for once I remember LD *before* it happens rather than during voting. Great. Smiley

I think group 4 has a few really good ones, along with a whole load of ones that don't seem flexible on whether they're used narratively or mechanically.

I'm kinda disappointed that some of the ones that came pretty low down in the first two rounds obviously didn't get many votes, though I don't know if they're too close to being repeats or something. Transformation seems like a great theme to me - it can be used in a thematic or literal way in a narrative or in the mechanics and doesn't seem like a repeat, but it came dead last.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:25 PM »

Thanks for posting, I'm going to participate this time!

boz_float
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »

Totes in. Just need an artist to join up  Wink

`,~)  I made game: http://cereusisfun.com  `,~)
NoWandStds
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:40:31 AM »

This will be our 3rd time! With the same team we'll try to defeat the monster of sleep and haste. We hope earn some XP and level up!

Have you seen the last round? Do you have a favourite?

Independent videogame development studio from Zaragoza, Spain.
Pockets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 02:05:33 AM »

Is it just me, or are the themes that got through all pretty weak? They're all so literal.
elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 03:34:13 AM »

I'm not the biggest fan either. I only upvoted "Isolation" and "Four Elements".
I dont like how half of the themes restrict you mechanically.
Pockets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 05:33:07 AM »

I actually upvoted Four Elements, which every time I've attempted LD before, I've downvoted. :|

My favourite of these is "Generations" though. It's something that's distinct, isn't a trope, can be used on the narrative side of things in many ways and has several different ways of being used on the mechanics side of things too. Which means it'll probably end up coming second to something dull like "Lose abilities as you progress".
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 07:14:49 AM »

I didn't green anything. And only three yellows. So I'm not spontaneously super excited about anything, but something creative generally gets thought up in the end, especially since I won't be working alone (seems to be one or two more people so far), so now I'll just have to wait and see.

Mr Speaker
Level 0

Mr Speaker: @mrspeaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »

It would be great if there were "tiers" of themes based on how many previous LDs you'd completed. I understand why the dullest themes always win: when you're a newbie it's far easier to make something on a mechanics-specific theme so you're more likely to vote for "10 seconds" than, say, "backup plan".

The more LDs you do the more you seem the same themes appear, and the more boring they sound. And when you have 3000 people of all different levels trying to agree on a theme then it's statistically likely you'll end up with the most "average" of them - interesting things are divisive!
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 09:20:39 AM »

The most boring part of LD is people complaining about the themes, tbh.
Twist them around and do something with them if you don't like them as they are.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Mr Speaker
Level 0

Mr Speaker: @mrspeaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 10:43:46 AM »

Naturally twisting a boring theme into something interesting (that won't get slapped down as being off-theme in the judging) is all part of the fun. Doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it on a gamedev forum and see if there's some way the compo could be improved as it evolves! Going from 18 submissions in 2002 to 2750 submissions in August means it's a pretty different world now.

That said, "one theme picked by everyone" would be pretty hard to mess with without introducing tonnes of complexity. I guess I'm just pining for the early days when I was super excited about voting and the results xD
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »

I do agree with you. I was mostly refering with people who use the theme as the main excuse for their failure. The times I've failed was because I was unable to interpret the theme into a game that I wanted and could make. Not because of the theme itself : thousands of people got a game made with that theme. I didn't.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Conker
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »

If i'm not busy I would like to do this ludum dare.. Hopefully things work out Smiley
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 12:00:42 PM »

I'm in again Smiley
Theres a couple of themes I remember up voting last time like Growing and Four Elements. I'm sure I care so much about the theme this time.

boz_float
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »

It seems like voting on themes is pointless. Much more excited about a theme being revealed; doesn't matter what it is.

Perhaps there was a pox of people complaining about the lack of democracy in the themes? Or more likely, whoever was originally supplying the themes was running out of ideas.

`,~)  I made game: http://cereusisfun.com  `,~)
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »

The most boring part of LD is people complaining about the themes, tbh.
Twist them around and do something with them if you don't like them as they are.

I totally agree. I remember a game called "Surf Camp - Legend of the Surf Ace", the LD theme was "Beneath the Surface".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic