Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:04:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 34 (Dec 11th - 14th)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 34 (Dec 11th - 14th)  (Read 18188 times)
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »

The most boring part of LD is people complaining about the themes, tbh.
Twist them around and do something with them if you don't like them as they are.

I totally agree. I remember a game called "Surf Camp - Legend of the Surf Ace", the LD theme was "Beneath the Surface".

Wasn't there a game called "Ben Eath The Surf Ace" in that LD?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:10:08 PM by SelfTitled » Logged

kiwipxl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is everyone planning to develop their game in? I'm thinking html5 typescript with PIXIJS for myself since I've tried it out before and absolutely loved it. Prototyping with it is quick too.
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 12:21:13 AM »

I'll be using Unity, plenty of experience with it and it will mean I won't have to worry about writing low level systems.

What software do people use for art and audio?

elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 12:36:32 AM »

Elm + WebGL because I want to try this tech.
Ubuntu Studio for audio and Inkscape for art (probably)
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »

I'm very in this time - no rubbish excuses.
I've been learning Luxe (a Haxe game library) all week, which turned out to me much more difficult than I would have thought, but I've basically worked out how to make a game with it. I'm thinking Inkscape for art, or GIMP, or both - I dunno. Audio will be an absolute afterthought, as always. sfxr and whatever music generator I can google up, in all likelihood.

The themes don't look too bad, so long as it isn't one use only, only 3 rules, or two button controls, I will be okay.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 02:09:19 AM »

I got Haxe and Luxe up and running the other day too but I never did anything with it. I'll end up using what I end up using. It might depend on the theme, but more likely on the team — since I won't be working alone I don't want to end up making it boring or disappointing for others by playing around with something new I don't actually really know how to use. So most likely Unity again. I did use HTML5 like two LD's ago tho, but I wasn't really feeling like doing LD at all that time so I didn't give anybody any expectations; it was in fact unexpected that I even ended up participating at all that time.

dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 02:11:01 AM »

I'm in for the Jam, hopefully this time I will have some audio in the game Tongue

I'll use C + lua and a custom engine, will export to WebGL thanks to Emscripten.

What software do people use for art and audio?

The artist I'm teaming up with use Adobe Flash for the art and graphic gale for the animation.

For audio, I usually use a mix of bsfxr / labchirp for the sound effects and Autotracker / BoscaCeoil for the music.
NoWandStds
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 03:45:40 AM »

Out of curiosity, what is everyone planning to develop their game in? I'm thinking html5 typescript with PIXIJS for myself since I've tried it out before and absolutely loved it. Prototyping with it is quick too.

We'll use Unity like previously LD, our programmer have a lot of experience with it, it's more quickly. For art, our graphic artist will use Photoshop as always. Maybe, we're going to use Spriter for animations.

Sound it's more difficult, but we've used tools like BFXR, Bosca Ceoil (It's pretty nice and so easy)

Independent videogame development studio from Zaragoza, Spain.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 05:21:14 AM »

I'm in again so we'll see how we go this time. Always a great learning experience and a nice challenge to come up with an interesting take on the theme.

Also will be using Flash once again, maybe one of these days I'll actually try and move onto Unity.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 06:14:12 AM »

Seems confirmed that there'll be at least three of us this time around.

JWK5
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 07:17:54 AM »

I am in.

We'll see if I gain any traction this year. I am doing some warmups in game maker.
de11ed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 07:25:52 AM »

First time entering Ludum dare! I have no hopes or expectations at all, more of a test for me to see how well I know Unity by now and what I can do in 48 hours Smiley

Also, if anyone needs help with music and sound effects, I'll be happy to help, as that is my profession.

composer • producer • songwriter • human
Website | Twitter | Soundcloud
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 09:19:40 AM »

Still three of us. Two programmer-artists and one artist-musician. We're trying an interesting pr0 setup this time.

Updated to latest Unity, setup a git repository on Bitbucket and followed a guide on how to use it with Unity and installed SourceTree on all of our computers to synchronise the project online. We tried it out and it seems to be working fine. We've got our empty project up and running. We're going to try Unity's new nested scene feature later which will probably help a lot.

PREPARED.

Conker
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »

ill be using game maker if work doesn't get in the way.. which right now seems like it could go either way
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »

Windows 10 updated and broke Game Maker Lips Sealed

Fortunately this happens 7 hours before Ludum Dare actually happens, but still, what the heck Microsoft. It even told me in big blue letters "All your files are exactly where you left them". Can I call bullpoop on that?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »

And I managed to update Unity with Unity running and then trying to start it after it had overwritten the old file which was still running which resulted in Unity never opening nor wanting to shut down even when I tried to force quit it, and I couldn't log out of my computer account because Unity was still running, and had to force shut down the computer by holding the power button. Tongue

But all went well after reboot, including the git setup, so that was cool.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »

Man, I really wanted to participate but I'm already booked pretty much all of Saturday. Oh well, if I get excited enough by the theme, I'll see if I can throw something together in a day. Good luck to everyone participating!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »

1h left

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2015, 03:49:39 PM »

2h:10 minutes but whatever. Still, you should look up the actual time right now. Now you, Jimym, but other people.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

hours left for voting  Giggle

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic