Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:59:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPENG (WIP title - 2 player pong like game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PENG (WIP title - 2 player pong like game)  (Read 1443 times)
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »

Hello all! I am back and would like to try and make another devlog.
My other project was a bit too overwhelming for making my first finished game, and even though I had a lot done on the engine and game, I have decided to move away from it.
This new game I hope to keep the scope small and simple, while still fun to play. The main goal is to actually finish a game though from start to end, and polish it up as nice as I can with my current skills.

That said, the game is PENG.
(WIP title)
(EARLY PROTOTYPE. EXPECT GRAPHICS TO CHANGE.)

(EDIT: fixed bug and updated gif before anyone called me out on it..)

[WHAT IS THE GAME]
Is is a simple 2 player local VS pong like game. The players can move on 2 axis's and can dash around to get some more speed and hit the ball harder.
The prototype is finished for the most part. I would like to keep expanding on the idea though to add level hazards or things that would make the match more fun.

[WHAT AM I USING?]
-Unity5
-PyxelEdit

This is also my first project that I am programming with c# and using unity. I am learning still, slowly! I am used to visual editors like construct 2, MMF, etc.. I am happy with what I have been able to achieve though!

The devlog is mainly for me to chart my progress to motivate me to finish, and so I have something to look back at later down the line. I will post a build soon to get some feedback on what I have so far. Me and my brother played for a while and had fun with the prototype so I think there could be some potential for a fun small game!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:27:03 AM by Chris MacAdam » Logged

noved626
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:52:47 PM »

Noice, "this games proper peng init" Wink
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »

I'm working on a similar game, mine is a bit more inspired by air hockey though! Curious to see how yours will turn out  Gentleman

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »

Thanks guys for the support!
Its been a while since I updated this topic, so I figure I would post what I have got done. I am a slow coder so some things take me a lot longer to do than they should. I am learning still though right?  Shrug

@Eendhoorn - I like the way your game looks a lot! That is how I imagined the game at the start, was the players had a attack and they hit it back and forth. Good luck on your project too!

[DEVLOG UPDATE #1]

GAME MECHANICS
Breakable Blocks - The players now have a line of bricks in front of their goal that must be destroyed before the other player can score. I think this will make the games a littler longer and more fun.
Bumpers - Objects that will bounce the puck and players away from it.
Camera - The camera now zooms in and out based on the distance between all the objects it is looking at. Now everything stays on screen for the most part.

GAME FEEL
Screen Shake - Self explanatory. Helps with 'game feel'.
Particles - Added particles to the puck when moving fast, and when a breakable block gets destroyed.

CURRENT GOALS
-Character Select.
-Level Select.
-Actual art.

BRAINSTORMING
-Possibly different terrain types.
-Single player mode.
-Powerups for players.
-Character Stats.

Of course I have to post a GIFs.

I would like to hear your guys thoughts and feedback! I know there isn't much here now, but this is also a project for me to learn how to program and learn Unity.

If anyone has any cool ideas for a feature or mechanic I would love to hear them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:00:22 PM by Chris MacAdam » Logged

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:43:02 AM »

I understand it's part of the learning process to use a moving camera. But I suggest using a static camera, much easier on the eyes. The level isn't big enough to require scrolling.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic