Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:01:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOUT NOW! Dynasty Feud - 2D Local/Online brawler
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: OUT NOW! Dynasty Feud - 2D Local/Online brawler  (Read 28815 times)
Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »

Very smooth. Nice!

Thanks so much! We’re glad you like it! Smiley

It looks like you're using Unity as the engine for your awesome game, so I'll ask you one question about the way you manage collisions. Are your colliders actually Collider2D or are you using your own objects and doing all the collision checks by hand without using the Physics2D overlap and the like functions?

Thank you! We’re actually only using Collider2Ds to describe the collision boxes of our game, as we are doing all the detection and resolution of these collisions plus the physics ourselves, mainly to be able to control everything during an online match. By letting Unity detect and resolve all of that, we would not have control over it during an online match and it could lead to quick desyncs of the level state.

I'm really curious about the networking implementation for the online feature. I apologize if you have already written about it, but I glanced through the devlog and couldn't find anything about it.

Which networking library are you using, and how do you handle latency? In a fighting game I can imagine it's really important. I can see the need for a handful of techniques: client-side prediction, state rollback on the server to validate instant hits, and projectile pre-stepping for instance. I might be completely wrong on those, but still I'm curious how you guys do it Smiley

Right now we are using Steam’s networking library, but we’ve implemented an abstraction layer over it for future releases on other platforms.

About the latency, you're not at all wrong! Our game is P2P, so we’ve had to replace the role of the server with the state rollback system on each client (I assume from your question that you know how it works, but we’ll talk about it in detail in a future post), which all players apply to get the correct state of sync. For the rollback system, we’ve based our implementation on GGPO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GGPO).
Related to this, we only send inputs from the players, and we use client-side prediction to avoid having to send the input of every player every frame.

This is a really dense and big topic, and this was just a quick overview of what we are doing with Dynasty Feud. I hope to have answered your question; if not, feel free to ask again and I’ll try to answer as clearly as possible.

Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2017, 08:09:05 AM »

This week we´ve been working on polishing Yaotl, the Aztec Jaguar Warrior. Tiger
An agile melee fighter with an astonishing ultimate transformation!
Enjoy!

Ohmnivore
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2017, 04:56:15 PM »

Very smooth. Nice!

Thanks so much! We’re glad you like it! Smiley

It looks like you're using Unity as the engine for your awesome game, so I'll ask you one question about the way you manage collisions. Are your colliders actually Collider2D or are you using your own objects and doing all the collision checks by hand without using the Physics2D overlap and the like functions?

Thank you! We’re actually only using Collider2Ds to describe the collision boxes of our game, as we are doing all the detection and resolution of these collisions plus the physics ourselves, mainly to be able to control everything during an online match. By letting Unity detect and resolve all of that, we would not have control over it during an online match and it could lead to quick desyncs of the level state.

I'm really curious about the networking implementation for the online feature. I apologize if you have already written about it, but I glanced through the devlog and couldn't find anything about it.

Which networking library are you using, and how do you handle latency? In a fighting game I can imagine it's really important. I can see the need for a handful of techniques: client-side prediction, state rollback on the server to validate instant hits, and projectile pre-stepping for instance. I might be completely wrong on those, but still I'm curious how you guys do it Smiley

Right now we are using Steam’s networking library, but we’ve implemented an abstraction layer over it for future releases on other platforms.

About the latency, you're not at all wrong! Our game is P2P, so we’ve had to replace the role of the server with the state rollback system on each client (I assume from your question that you know how it works, but we’ll talk about it in detail in a future post), which all players apply to get the correct state of sync. For the rollback system, we’ve based our implementation on GGPO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GGPO).
Related to this, we only send inputs from the players, and we use client-side prediction to avoid having to send the input of every player every frame.

This is a really dense and big topic, and this was just a quick overview of what we are doing with Dynasty Feud. I hope to have answered your question; if not, feel free to ask again and I’ll try to answer as clearly as possible.

Thanks for the rundown! I don't have anything more specific to ask at the moment. I must say it's really impressive though, your networking implementation seems top-notch along with all the other systems you've had to make for the game. Definitely a programming challenge but you're holding up well Smiley

Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »

Are you guys sure you want to remove the whole western at dusk tone of the level? I feel like just cleaning the textures, adding more contrast to the platforms and toning down the train's steam was enough, otherwise the whole level looks kinda flat.
Take a look at how Towerfall uses different techniques (like black outlines in all the important things, and that blocky feel in the tiles which is missing in the background) so that it can be readable without making all the levels feel samey.
Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2017, 12:39:17 AM »

Are you guys sure you want to remove the whole western at dusk tone of the level? I feel like just cleaning the textures, adding more contrast to the platforms and toning down the train's steam was enough, otherwise the whole level looks kinda flat.
Take a look at how Towerfall uses different techniques (like black outlines in all the important things, and that blocky feel in the tiles which is missing in the background) so that it can be readable without making all the levels feel samey.

Actually the level evolves and the light is still turning into dusk when the match goes on. The Characters have a color outline, witch we believe to be enough for highlighting them, but that black outline is something we keep in mind. We just needed to make BG less visible since characters can navigate all the BG elements so we avoided those blocky contrasted tiles you mentioned from Towerfall, which are just platforms in our game.

Thanks for the feedback, We´ll keep those nice ideas you dropped in mind. Wanna test  the black outlines on characters. Here you have a screencap of the current level at dusk.

Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2017, 01:11:47 AM »

This game looks rad! I love local multiplayer games, would definitely pick this up and invite some friends over Smiley
I like the detailed devlog you have going on as well, will definitely be following this one!

MiNTO
Level 0

Grasp My Sword

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2017, 03:10:30 AM »

Game looks great. Love these types of games!

Keep up the awesome work.  Beer!

Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 06:57:05 AM »

Thank you guys! We´ll keep working and posting more progress of the game.

Here you have the movement collection of Citlali, the Ball Player, a dangerous Aztec with an unexpected war tool.
Hope you like it! Hand Any Key

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »

Hey, this is looking great! A minor observation, but citlali is a female name.

Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2017, 11:35:45 PM »

Hey, this is looking great! A minor observation, but citlali is a female name.

Thank you! and how the hell didn´t we notice that?!  Who, Me?
Any name suggestion for our (male) Aztec Ball Player?

Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »

I dont know how do you call a ball player in nahuatl, but maybe you can name him Tlachtli which is the name of the ball game itself. Or Huemac which is a toltec god who played it with Tlaloc, or just Olli which is the material the ball is made.
Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »

We have a new name for the Ballplayer, now he is called Ahuacatl. We have also checked the other names of the Aztec Dynasty and changed some of them.

But more important, we have found out that we did not have a full match gameplay, so we recorded this one to show you how the game looks and plays right now. Hope you like it.

Edit: I did not see you reply Reyn. Those in fact are really cool options. Personally I like Huemac, but will have to discuss with the rest of the team. Thank you for the help.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:54:20 AM by Eneko Egiluz » Logged

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »

Freakin' awesome! It's great to see this come alive. Great soundtrack too Toast Right
Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2017, 06:42:05 AM »

I dont know how do you call a ball player in nahuatl, but maybe you can name him Tlachtli which is the name of the ball game itself. Or Huemac which is a toltec god who played it with Tlaloc, or just Olli which is the material the ball is made.

Thank you for your suggestions, we loved them and we finally changed the name of our Ball player to HuemacHand Clap

We continue improving Dynasty Feud and we would like to remind to all subscribed testers that today at 5pm GMT and until this sunday a new Closed Beta session will take place. You´ll receive your keys via email in the next hours.

We also opened the Steam Store Page for Dynasty Feud. You are invited to follow us and make any suggestion about it!

Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2017, 04:36:44 AM »

Hey Brawlers!

We´ve been working on Aztec Dynasty, and today we are proud to show you... Cuauhtli, the Bird-Man!
He might be a good resource for your children´s birthday party, but has no rival defending his ancestor´s  temple... Watch your back, danger comes from above!  Who, Me?
Enjoy the video Wink

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »

Looks fun. And GGPO,  Cool

Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2017, 12:46:00 AM »

Looks fun. And GGPO,  Cool

Thank you! We're just preparing a post about our networking implementation. Should be here soon.

romulosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:56 AM »

It looks fun, with very crazy multiplayer.
I look forward to the release.

My Project
Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:06 PM »

It looks fun, with very crazy multiplayer.
I look forward to the release.

Thank you for your words guys!

We continue polishing and balancing characters and today we show Gruup, the Boxer from Cavemen Dynasty. A fast short-distance fighter with great agility. His dodge will caught you off guard. Enter video!

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2017, 02:46:54 AM »

Awesome music! Really gets you in the zone with a cool character Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic