Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:02:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe hardest part of game development?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The hardest part of game development?  (Read 2236 times)
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 09:02:15 PM »

Hiding the body.
Finding it again.

Tokinsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 01:17:37 AM »

Collaborating remotely. Nothing has made me want to quit game dev more than that list of conflicts Hand Shake Left Angry Hand Shake Right

shellbot
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »

Collaborating remotely. Nothing has made me want to quit game dev more than that list of conflicts Hand Shake Left Angry Hand Shake Right

+1 for this

I love that I can collab with people all around the world, but it can get super frustrating dealing with things like: different time zones, language barriers, disappearances, slow responses, and don't even get me started on scheduling.

Outraged
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 09:04:35 PM »

When ur trying to code but u catch got watching u THHROOOOOOUGH the eyes of a horse

trill
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:14:26 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 10:29:46 PM »

Not sure if it counts but in my case it's marketing/pr/community management stuff. I suck hard at it. I literally have no clue what I am doing. Sad

Diejay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 02:16:21 PM »

Not sure if it counts but in my case it's marketing/pr/community management stuff. I suck hard at it. I literally have no clue what I am doing. Sad

This. I don't do "marketing" so much as "telling the most people about my game and crossing my fingers".

Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »

This. I don't do "marketing" so much as "telling the most people about my game and crossing my fingers".

Agreed, at lease creating the game works physically if you do things right. Promotion is always a roll of the dice, no guarantees Screamy
Poya
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 06:01:29 AM »

Spending too much time reading up about how other people are building their game, approaching business / marketing, etc etc. It's definitely informative but at some point it has diminishing returns. I guess it does help with motivation.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »

I don't know if I'd say its the hardest part, but I often struggle to START a project. I know people talk about it feeling great to have a clean slate and to be filled with new ideas, but to me I feel uncertainty about where to start or what methodologies to use for my ideas. I feel a big part of this is not really planning ahead, so its hard to have momentum when you don't have two or three things sitting in the queue, ready to be worked on after you finish the current task. Things may have to be significantly changed later, but at the very least one actually has things to change in the first place.

But maybe that's just me. Shrug
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »

I don't know if I'd say its the hardest part, but I often struggle to START a project. I know people talk about it feeling great to have a clean slate and to be filled with new ideas, but to me I feel uncertainty about where to start or what methodologies to use for my ideas. I feel a big part of this is not really planning ahead, so its hard to have momentum when you don't have two or three things sitting in the queue, ready to be worked on after you finish the current task. Things may have to be significantly changed later, but at the very least one actually has things to change in the first place.

Do a few 24/48 hour game jams and you'll soon lose this fear. There's nothing like only having a day to work on a game to make you forget about planning and methodologies.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2016, 06:01:41 PM »

Do a few 24/48 hour game jams and you'll soon lose this fear. There's nothing like only having a day to work on a game to make you forget about planning and methodologies.
Oh, I have. Ludum Dare is fantastic, especially the first time I actually made the 48 hour compo (as opposed to the 72 hour one.) But I think the "attack" mentality doesn't work as well when your dev time is split between an hour here and an hour there, if that. Its far easier to lose momentum that way, I would think. That's why I'm trying to get better at organizing myself so that the brakes don't get slammed every time I miss a day. Tongue

On that same token, perhaps that's why starting can feel so hard; its trying to wind the crank and get momentum going again.
Noyemi K
Level 0

[ * ] - we are all so hapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 05:52:04 PM »

The hardest part of game development is opening your tools in my opinion... once they're actually open, work gets done. When they're not, I have a hard time motivating myself to.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic