Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:30:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How do YOU implement Physics?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How do YOU implement Physics?  (Read 2709 times)
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 05:57:02 PM »

I'd only use a boxed engine in two circumstances:

(a) Physics (all of them) are a core mechanic in the game
(b) The game uses realism for "shiny" purposes, AAA-style

There are a lot of laws of physics, for most games only a handful will come into play. Using just a subset of a kitchen-sink physics lib is not just wasteful but as others point out, forces you to do workaround acrobatics to tune your gamefeel, which IME takes longer (and is more depressing) than just doing it yourself.

Also @buto that fluid looks fantastic! Well done.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 04:38:43 AM »

Sometimes I find myself thinking "I'd know how I'd do this but I have no idea how to do it in Unity!" and this is always frustrating and the biggest downside of using a ready-made engine or - in this particular discussion - a 3rd party physics engine.

In our current project DWARVES I've spend a lot of time on coding a C# library/framework (called HORDE for Horde Onslaught Realtime Dynamics Engine) which does things you'd typically expect an engine to handle for you. Most notably: Agent Behavior (AI), Pathfinding, Collision-Detection & Response, Simulation of Forces, Inertia etc, Scene-Management & Queries.

The simulation is essentiall 2D. There is a 3rd dimension (height) which plays a role but it's not fully supported. Think of a 2D world + heightmap. And everything is build from capsules and circles. There are no other shapes the engine can handle. Capsules can't even move. But as a player you'll hopefully never notice how simplistic the simulation models the world. Wink

I decided on not using 3rd party physics because I would have used only a small subset of it anyway and felt comfortable about implementing that myself. Of course that's a time investment and I probably sacrifice some runtime performance too. But the good thing is that it's no problem to simulate more then just rigid-body physics. Or whatever other feature we need to get as close to our vision as possible. The framework I coded is very game-specific - it's not general purpose at all. But that's what is keeping it managable and understandable. Elegant even. And there are features in there that I wouldn't know how to do without having full control over the simulation.

I can't always justify to roll custom solutions (and that we're using Unity is testament to that) but I'm usually a happier coder when I'm working in an environment where there are no dependancies on 3rd party blackboxes to worry about.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 05:58:37 PM »

i do something a little weird, but i designed it around how my engine works.  since my levels are basicly a giant quadtree of tiles i do a quick bounding box check between all pairs of objects in each node that's currently active, then on non-simple objects a per-pixel collision check (simple objects get faster methods like a quick distance to center check, or just end at bounding box collision).  Not shooting for realism personally though, while the physics that result from this don't feel like real physics they do feel really responsive to control

-Fuzzy Spider
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic