Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:13:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Place for the Unwilling [open world narrative game][BETA]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: A Place for the Unwilling [open world narrative game][BETA]  (Read 57430 times)
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 05:00:21 AM »

I like the art style Smiley

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 01:22:25 AM »

Quote from: MereMonkey
This is looking great, can't wait to see more!!

Thanks a lot! We'll keep releasing updates every 2-3 weeks based on what you ask on the devlog. Next one will be about gameplay :-)

Quote from: SelfTitled
I like the art style

Thanks! Ruben is the artist who takes care of all the assets in the game

Uprising Studios
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 01:25:35 AM »

Love the art style and the idea of the never-stopping time.
It's not clear to me though how gameplay is going to be the, what are the actions that you can do to interact with the characters.

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 02:31:01 AM »

Love the art style and the idea of the never-stopping time.
It's not clear to me though how gameplay is going to be the, what are the actions that you can do to interact with the characters.

It's nice to see that so many people are digging the art style :-)

Gameplay-wise... we explained a bit over here, but next week there will be a devlog update with a further explanation.

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »

Update #4 - Gameplay

Hey guys! How is everything going?

You know we always try to release updates about your most common questions (based on the comments). We usually keep that "narrative" style when we talk about the game, so I guess gameplay hasn't been explained properly yet. We have focused the devlog a lot on the atmosphere, the characters and the city itself; and not about what you'll do and how you'll do it.

"A Place for the Unwilling" is an adventure game where you'll have direct control over an avatar. You'll use the keyboard or the analog stick to move in 8 directions. There will be three additional actions: "use", "examine" and "inventory".

• USE: This action will be triggered mostly for talking to people, but it will also serve to open doors or interact with nearby objects
  • EXAMINE: This action will provide you with more information about your surroundings. Every object and piece of furniture will hold some small narrative for you to discover. You'll also be able to overhear two characters who are having a conversation(but you'll have to be sure you're not standing right next do them, otherwise they might notice and stop :O)
  • INVENTORY: This isn't your average point & click inventory. You'll store useful information(such as documents or maps), some important items(like money,keys or snacks) or a few trading goods

You'll spend most of your time either walking from one place to another or talking to people. When speaking with somebody else the game will display the dialogue interface, which is your classic "choose one of these answers and wait for the results". Though they won't have 100% fixed "speech trees", we are trying to implement an hybrid system based on more modern games, we'll probably cover this part on a future update.

Each day you'll have a limited time to run your errands. You're a trader, so chosing which clients you want to visit that day they will be key, because time never stops, not even when you're chatting.

There will be some minor actions which will be always available, like sitting on a bench and enjoying the views or buying the newspaper to read about local news.

There will be special events that you can run into (the game will give you subtle narrative hints about when and where to be) but you can't forget about your job and your other errands. The main story, which we'll also cover in a future update, will keep you busy and give you plenty of tasks to do, but at no point will the game tell you what to do or "give you a quest", you'll be the one to decide that.

You're just another lost soul in the city, one of many, not a hero, but you'll have to make choices and, depending on what you do, you might even play a small role in the big plot, either way you'll craft your own story (the story of your avatar).

And that's all for now, leave your questions here and we'll do our best to answer them. Don't forget to share, that helps a lot. Cheers! :-)

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2016, 03:53:38 AM »

Looking great. I like the way you are conceiving the time limit for each day actions and the special/random events stuff mixed with the non-linear gameplay.

I understand that you will have to choose very carefully between what actions you do each day so you don't waste time, isn't it?

Congrats on the work, eager to read more about the game Smiley

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »

The dialogue character art is looking fantastic!

It's very prominent, and it's a quality that works in the context of this game.  The shading, too, is very much organic. 

Keep it up Smiley  Thanks for the updates!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »

Those character designs are precious. PRECIOUS.  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »

This is something special. That atmosphere is second to none!

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 03:53:09 AM »

Quote from: YaW
Looking great. I like the way you are conceiving the time limit for each day actions and the special/random events stuff mixed with the non-linear gameplay.

I understand that you will have to choose very carefully between what actions you do each day so you don't waste time, isn't it?

Congrats on the work, eager to read more about the game Smiley

Thanks! There will be a pretty small update coming out this week.

Quote from: amanfr01
The dialogue character art is looking fantastic!

It's very prominent, and it's a quality that works in the context of this game.  The shading, too, is very much organic.

Keep it up Smiley  Thanks for the updates!

Will keep releasing updates! We're glad everyone is liking the art-style so far

Quote from: flipswitchx
Those character designs are precious. PRECIOUS.

Gentleman

Quote from: blindskystudios

This is something special. That atmosphere is second to none!

Thanks a lot! All that feedback is an awesome work booster :-)

Candacis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 07:42:55 AM »

Time never stops even you are chatting? So, you have to be a fast reader?  Grin

Interface looks very good, I really love the art. How big will the city be? Do you have an rough idea how many npc will be in it?
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 05:11:16 AM »

Update #5 - Kickstarter

Good news everyone! We have a huge announcement to make today, we're launching a Kickstarter campaign... in 7 days, that's right! Just a week from now!  Screamy

So... let me explain why this isn't just a "pre-order" campaign. We have been working for about 5 months on this project, and we estimate that we'll need at least a year from now to complete the game. We work full-time on "A Place for the Unwilling" and we have been able to do that thanks to savings and family support.

Without a bit of extra support we would need to take part-time jobs, which would make us cut a good part of the content (as expanding the development time might be a great danger for the project). Our campaign goal will be 20.000€, which doesn't look like a lot of money (because a huge part of it goes to fees) but we're a small team, and we don't need to pay full salaries with the Kickstarter money, just a small monthly income.

If you want to give us a hand follow us on twitter and help us spreading the word ;-)

We are super excited about sharing all this with you (and completely terrified about launching the campaign hahaha). We started preparing everything for this campaign two month ago, feels good to be able to talk about it Smiley

Wish us luck!

---

Time never stops even you are chatting? So, you have to be a fast reader?  Grin

Interface looks very good, I really love the art. How big will the city be? Do you have an rough idea how many npc will be in it?

We trying to tweak time so slow readers don't feel overwhelmed, time will pass while you chat but just depending on what you ask about, not on your reading speed Smiley

Regarding the city, we have estimated it'll have about 50 exterior maps, we aren't sure about interior maps yet. It depends a lot on the result of our KS campaign. These streets will be filled with shadows, but the cast of characters you'll be able to meet (and get to know) will be around 20. Each of those characters will have a personal story and a different daily routine.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 08:00:27 AM »

Great news about the KS! I'm looking forward to it.

Regarding the last image you posted: I still keep my idea that the logo style clashes with the art style of the game. The image instead, that'd make a great logo! Maybe reducing the city a bit and working on the letters, but all in all, more in-style... I think the hand-drawn style is what makes the APftU special!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2016, 08:15:45 AM »

Good luck with the campaign! But don't under estimate your needs guys, 20k for a year of work and a team of 3 people is really low. It's clearly the kind of thing which makes me suspicious on certain campaigns, so don't hesitate to mention it if you have other ways to get funds.

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »

Quote from: CiroContinisio
Great news about the KS! I'm looking forward to it.

Regarding the last image you posted: I still keep my idea that the logo style clashes with the art style of the game. The image instead, that'd make a great logo! Maybe reducing the city a bit and working on the letters, but all in all, more in-style... I think the hand-drawn style is what makes the APftU special!

Our logo isn't definite at all and we will work on it again in the future. We considered using this promo image as a logo, but it's too open and full of details, it doesn't fit well when used as a logo. Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Quote from: Fenrir
Good luck with the campaign! But don't under estimate your needs guys, 20k for a year of work and a team of 3 people is really low. It's clearly the kind of thing which makes me suspicious on certain campaigns, so don't hesitate to mention it if you have other ways to get funds.

Thanks for the tip Fenrir! We'll make sure to say it in the campaign text. It's exactly what we explained on the devlog update, we have savings and help from our families, but we need that small extra push to keep working for a few more months.

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 01:52:27 AM »

It looks really good Luis. I'm looking forward to seeing a little bit more of it. :D

inspectorRoar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 03:48:37 AM »

That looks great!
And I really like some of the game ideas, the idea of having limited time each day to do your stuff sounds really interesting, and the shadows for the strangers sounds awesome as well.

I'm not really sure if it's been covered, but is it going to be procedural in any way? Or is it a fixed storyline with narrative branches?

GL with you KS!

Mr Bazooka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 06:51:17 AM »

The atmosphere and overall look of this game is so unique. Looks amazing!
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 02:02:30 AM »

Quote from: Daniel Pellicer
It looks really good Luis. I'm looking forward to seeing a little bit more of it. :D

Thanks Daniel! I have played "A whole new world" a couple of time over events in Spain, it's really cool :-)

Quote from: inspectorRoar
That looks great!
And I really like some of the game ideas, the idea of having limited time each day to do your stuff sounds really interesting, and the shadows for the strangers sounds awesome as well.

I'm not really sure if it's been covered, but is it going to be procedural in any way? Or is it a fixed storyline with narrative branches?

GL with you KS!

When we started working on this project we had a super long conversation about this very same thing, as I'm very interested in procedural narrative. We decided to go for a hand-crafted narrative so we could write detailed lore backgrounds and events.

We are now experimenting with smaller procedural details which would affect narrative.  Coffee

Quote from: Mr Bazooka
The atmosphere and overall look of this game is so unique. Looks amazing!

Thanks! :-)

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 05:12:14 AM »

Saw the news on Twitter. Good luck with your crowdfunding, man!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic